THE BROWNS BOARD

Pull the trigger on Kevin White!

domcucch1994

Flugel, have you competed in Rome's 'Smack Off'? You got some skill. That script was nice.

I was at that point of annoyance with tiamat63 the other week, when I first joined... had me contemplating leaving. But I felt the guy wasn't nearly that bad, and I really valued his game.... his scouting service! Ideally, tia would integrate just a thread more of congruency and some affirmation to his posts. I prayed about it (not really, but perhaps my Heart did)... and earlier this week his tone changed a bit. He expressed humility, even some semblance of affirmation to another responder. My Heart grew & I knew I loved the man; strange but true.

We're alright. We're all alright...

We more than Good...

We're The Browns Family.

And that makes us tighter than blood any day.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Greco rated as a 'Top 15' OG.... to the GM of a perennial playoff team, that spells W-E-A-K-N-E-S-S.

a middling grade is only permissible during rookie season, a developmental or transitional 2nd season, or a season battling injury.

Greco's grade has me targeting replacement... especially the chaos that ensued on his watch when Mack went down. We can keep Greco, but we want him in the 2 deep part of our roster, ideally. We should let him know of this notion & see if there's another level to his game in 2015 he hasn't shown us.

It's only Human... most guys need pushed to excel. The ones that don't - don't play like they're Human.

i think everyone will agree that the browns will look to draft OL. whether it be to ultimately replace someone is debatable. but after the mack injury, to say we don't need depth there means you gotta be blind or just don't give a crap.

If Greco rated as a 'Top 15' OG.... to the GM of a perennial playoff team, that spells W-E-A-K-N-E-S-S.

a middling grade is only permissible during rookie season, a developmental or transitional 2nd season, or a season battling injury.

Greco's grade has me targeting replacement... especially the chaos that ensued on his watch when Mack went down. We can keep Greco, but we want him in the 2 deep part of our roster, ideally. We should let him know of this notion & see if there's another level to his game in 2015 he hasn't shown us.

It's only Human... most guys need pushed to excel. The ones that don't - don't play like they're Human.

Unfortunately, I'm not the only one that disagrees with you.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/08/offensive-line-rankings-2/4/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/20/secret-superstar-john-greco/

Edit. There is zero reason to invest a high grade pick into replacing Greco.

Double edit: figuring 2 guards for 32 teams - a top 15 prospect is the upper 1/3 of the NFL. To me, that isn't weakness, that's consistency along the Oline.

Unfortunately, I'm not the only one that disagrees with you.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/08/offensive-line-rankings-2/4/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/20/secret-superstar-john-greco/

Edit. There is zero reason to invest a high grade pick into replacing Greco.

Beat me to it Tiamat63...

Greco isnt just top 15....he's #6 at +15.6....with room to spare.....one of the very best in the league and nowhere near a "middling grade"

Schwartz, on the other hand, has that middling grade at +6.5 and is rated as the #9 RT (terrible, I know).......he is very strong as a pass blocker, but non existent as a run blocker.....

So, add our #2 Center Mack, #3 Guard Bitonio and #3 LT Thomas and the line is not a top priority...unless we can add starter quality at RT and some interior depth to back up either C/OG.....

Flugel, have you competed in Rome's 'Smack Off'? You got some skill. That script was nice.

I was at that point of annoyance with tiamat63 the other week, when I first joined... had me contemplating leaving. But I felt the guy wasn't nearly that bad, and I really valued his game.... his scouting service! Ideally, tia would integrate just a thread more of congruency and some affirmation to his posts. I prayed about it (not really, but perhaps my Heart did)... and earlier this week his tone changed a bit. He expressed humility, even some semblance of affirmation to another responder. My Heart grew & I knew I loved the man; strange but true.

We're alright. We're all alright...

We more than Good...

We're The Browns Family.

And that makes us tighter than blood any day.

*will ferrell voice*

" did we just become best friends!!?????!!!!"

To answer you, Flugel, some guys think they got the patent on intellectual enlightenment...

and they write novels to prove it.....

and no need to be so sensitive if someone disagrees with(or doesn't want to read) your(very very long) opinion....happens like every 30 seconds here(which is about my attention span too)....so thicken that skin up and get used to it.....

I get it. I'm Not trying to say that a fan doesn't have the right to speak out, but when that said fan does it repeatedly and that's all they have to offer.....that is lame.

Believe me, most of us golden oldies on here have seen the hits and misses from past and present regimes longer than you've been taking breath so show some respect. Sure we missed out on this guy or that guy and instead drafted bums at times, but to just non-stop whine and complain (not saying you) is non-productive and at some point quite boring.

My apologies for assuming you would be a dick, was nice to actually talk football with you. And I get what your saying, really was just curious of what you thought. Wasn't trying to start anything.

and they write novels to prove it.....

and no need to be so sensitive if someone disagrees with(or doesn't want to read) your(very very long) opinion....happens like every 30 seconds here(which is about my attention span too)....so thicken that skin up and get used to it.....

Mud, for a guy that prefers posts under a paragraph - you sure missed where the sensitivity started. I shared a video someone found really inconvenient and didn't notice this thick skin you're telling us about in his reply.

Mud, for a guy that prefers posts under a paragraph - you sure missed where the sensitivity started. I apologize if my comment about long posts struck a nerve with you, but i assure it was only intended for the quoted recipient...who I see has now been canned, which kinda justifies my initial reply(I think)...

Your draftnik pal Tourma went menstrual when I shared a video of a Safety NOT covering our TE following explanations/examples of other situations where Safeties weren't covering the TE....Hmmm, i see you have LOTS of posts, though I honestly dont know or remember you being around much. So Im not sure why your calling Tour "my draftnik buddy" or tellling me about your discussions with him about safeties......what does that have to do with anything??????...huh?

Let's be honest here for a second. It's not like Greco was acing the gig at OG in 2011, 2012 and 2013 before he looked like our most improved lineman in 2014. You know this and so does everyone else. It was nice to see he finally played well; but it hasn't been a huge percentage of the time overall after he barely saw the field on St Louis' talent deprived oline. ...Lets be honest...what Greco did 5 years ago in St Louis also has nothing to do with now.....last year was his first as a starter(on the left, btw) and he graded out very well(#10/top third in the league).....this year he switched sides and performed at an even higher level. Im not saying he's god or the best, but when a guy is performing at or near Pro Bwl level for 2 years running, you dont list him as a top priority to replace in the draft.....

I read Michael Bowie has played 3 different positions for Seattle, who's had a much better running game than us over the last 3 years. I don't know about you - but I think it's good he's here to challenge guys on the right side of our line for a starting job. I do agree that doesn't make it urgent to draft oline early....Bowie is an OT and is a prospect/hopeful to challenge Schwartz and if the Browns really like him(some think they do), then he may be a primary reason they choose NOT to go OL early......You'd probably be surprised at how "average" seattles O line really is....our guys are better at every position(by a mile), including Schwartz and Greco

Oh....and when you go back -edit - and delete your comments....they still show up in the quote box^^^^^^

Smooth move....

And after reading your new "revised" comment, I still have no clue wtf you're talking about....you showed someone a video and they didn't like it???....and this applies to me how????

Oh....and when you go back -edit - and delete your comments....they still show up in the quote box^^^^^^

Smooth move....

And after reading your new "revised" comment, I still have no clue wtf you're talking about....you showed someone a video and they didn't like it???....and this applies to me how????

God bless ya! I don't even want to tell you how long it took me to find the delete and edit button. Anyway, I remembered you didn't like long posts so I thought I'd go back and shorten it.

The video was in the link I gave to Tourma in response to his sarcastic comment to me that Safeties always cover TEs. The video showed him otherwise on top of me reminding him we were lining up Haden over Jimmy Graham so he got all feisty again. That's when I reacted to the precedent he set with me. Where that might involve you, is you made a comment about somebody needing thicker skin (not sure you aimed it at me directly or at all). I just wanted you and others to know I didn't join this thread with an agenda to go after people. The name of the subject heading interested me and I wanted to bring up my idea about Perriman as a nice potential round 2 option for us.

Believe it or not, I not only agree with all your comments in red about Greco but I enjoyed reading your pov, Because we aced that 35th pick overall on a HUGE need with Bitonio, it's very comforting to know we don't have to draft any Guards until late or via undrafted FAs.

As for Michael Bowie, this is what Pro Football Preview 2014 says about him: "After making 9 starts at 3 different positions as a 7th round rookie last season, Michael Bowie went from roster long shot to the projected starter at right tackle. Bowie's run blocking was particularly impressive last season." More good news is he only turned 23 this year.

What was nice for Schwartz and Mack last year is both guys played in a zbs at Cal so it was a return to their comfort zone that made them high round picks in the first place. I think the offensive game plan vrs Houston to run almost exclusively at JJ Watt (most of the day) did Schwartz no favors. Not only that, we had a LT with 7 Pro Bowls on his resume on the other side of the formation facing a rookie he outweighed by about 40-50 pounds that we barely exploited. The 1 time JJ Watt lined up over Joe Thomas he got pancaked. Anyway, I'm guessing this 1 game stuck in the minds of critics he already had from 2013. I've always thought Schwartz was a decent run blocker. Running off tackle was never a problem like trying to run inside of tackle until 2014.

The only beef I have with you is I lost a mouth full of Diet Pepsi laughing at your smart ass comment at the top.

Thanks Cal & Die Hard! I really appreciate the kind words. I enjoyed your company as well. From what I remember, you both had a great sense of humor and delivered many enjoyable posts to read. On top of that, you both served our country!!!!!

The first time Cal played fantasy football, poor Rich had 911 on speed dial and I'm betting at least one of Rich's computers landed in the Atlantic Ocean in a couple hundred pieces. All the way to winning the Championship, Cal kept kept saying "so THIS is how you play fantasy football." I can't remember if that was the league Shep played in too; but that poor guy was trying to figure out why Yahoo wasn't ranking the better looking QBs higher than the more talented QBs. That's why he went after the Joey Harringtons, Kyle Bollers and other freckle-free QBs while we took the guys that started over them off his hands. We were nice guys in that respect....

I've been out of practice posting in cyberspace with any frequency since I lost my dad and brother within 10 months of each other not too many moons ago. All that's left is Wundumson. Anyway, there's other boards where approximately 1000 people compete for cutest essays daily; and they're just not the type of place that ever feels like home. Stan recently sent me an email out of the blues and I thought I'd come in and shoot the breeze again.

People that grew up sweating in jock straps tend to prefer looking at film, formations on film and tendencies so they can play and/or coach better at the school district/college they're getting paid to do that for. People that grew up sniffing jock straps prefer to spend all their time making all their conclusions from statistics. Why do I get the feeling you were once a huge Jay Cutler fan? "Yeah, did you see that monstrous 4th quarter Cutler had when Denver was down 30 points so they only lost by 13? That kid's a keeper." Meanwhile film is showing why all that was possible like prevent defenses, backups and a willingness to give up underneath in exchange for clock.

Am I supposed to be impressed you can look at stats all day and make a conclusion like Hoyer was projecting way more than 8 TD passes to the WR Corps in 2014 if Mack didn't get hurt. Yeah, the problem with that light bulb moment from you is 3 TD passes came at the expense of the 2-14 Titans that were only on our schedule once. YOUR conclusion-based stats see that as projecting 45 TD passes over 16 games with Travis Benjamin projecting 32 TD receptions IF Alex Mack doesn't get hurt. Hoyer still had opportunities to make doable throws that he couldn't make. And get this - film actually showed us some flawed/lost mechanics from Hoyer that were correctable even without Alex Mack.

I figured when I saw you visited my profile, you had already completed a panic attack or 2. My dumb jock vibe must have triggered some unpleasant memories of you getting fanny snapped by wet towels from the football, basketball or baseball team. So apparently when you thought you were seeing newbies in this thread like me and Naberius - you thought it was the perfect time for you to unleash your revenge of the towel boy. That's a real trophy case moment any parent would be proud of.

If you're gonna get full of yourself and condascend to people you have ZERO clue about their football backgrounds with - you're gonna have to give me something better than 8 TD receptions from our WR Corps in 2014 is better than 20 TD receptions from our WR Corps in 2007. You might even want to follow the flow of discussion rather than jumping into the 3rd or 4th page so you get where somebody is coming from. Then again, you didn't care. Not your purpose...

I showed you film because it doesn't lie; and your reaction to it told me all it needed to. Most people that HAVE a life don't give a crap about how many times a zone blitz team blitzes. They care more about when our favorite team made them pay for doing so. You're the stat guy - do you remember what our rushing numbers reflected at the end of the first quarter looked like in that 2nd Pittsburgh Game? I only remember the replays slam dunking we gotta do something to stop them from outnumbering or 5-6 blockers. Having the ability to beat them over the top more than once with Cameron that day - MADE them adjust their crowd vrs our point of attack for better rushing results the final 3 quarters with and without Mack.

I don't give a crap that you didn't want to give me a chance; BUT you could have shown a lot more class to a fairly new guy like Naberius that only wants to talk football. He seems a lot more about sharing a common bond with Browns' fans than you. All I've seen outta you is a bunch of nervous Shakespeare with an emphasis on the Shakes. You know why a jittery Barney Fife type likes to flash his badge in front of witnesses? Because when/if all Hell breaks loose - the only person he's capable of shooting with his gun is himself. The sad thing is the person he's flashing this badge at already knows this. Put the gun down kid...

Wow...

Your reading comprehension is abysmal. You don't know it, but you just ended up looking like a blind man flailing to find a light switch.

I could go point by point, but don't see the sense of it. so I'll just state the following. The stats I used I generated by breaking down our first 14 games. Still have games 15 and 16 in the can.

Sometimes less is more...

The video was in the link I gave to Tourma in response to his sarcastic comment to me that Safeties always cover TEs. The video showed him otherwise on top of me reminding him we were lining up Haden over Jimmy Graham so he got all feisty again. That's when I reacted to the precedent he set with me.

First, SS's are often responsible for TEs...

Second... In defense of Hoyer, I actually did stats on this "8-in-the-box" claim last season. We faced 8 or more in the box less than 20% of the time and were successful (gaining 4 or more yards) against that look over 50% of the time. And the work was done after Mack went down.

Yet somehow despite disagreeing with your arguments, we've reached the same conclusion... O-line need is not high. The only reason to take an OT high is if we see Thomas' long-term replacement in this class... and I am not sure I do.

Me: No sarcasm.

You: No comprehension.

Care to try again?

Wow...

Your reading comprehension is abysmal. You don't know it, but you just ended up looking like a blind man flailing to find a light switch.

I could go point by point, but don't see the sense of it. so I'll just state the following. The stats I used I generated by breaking down our first 14 games. Still have games 15 and 16 in the can.

Sometimes less is more...

And you think you're role modeling ideal reading comprehension when you jump into a thread halfway through it thinking I need an education about the value of Alex Mack, the line or the importance of running games to a balanced attack? Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black...

Those that remember me from when this board began in 2003 (stemming form a previous board in 1998), know how much I understand how important the oline, Center and running game is to setting up a balanced attack. Check out the avatar sport if you don't like to read. Exhale. Absorb.

But when you have a WR Corps full of guys the size of Tom Thumb while Josh Gordon is suspended or incoherent and Cameron can rarely suit up at TE - it doesn't matter how much our oline KICKS ASS - if we can't beat people over the top or for TDs. The lack of such a threat never reduces the congestion in the box outnumbering our 5-6 blockers up front. I don't care about stats, when a sack volume from Demarcus Ware doesn't tell me how much of a liability he can be against the run. Why feed his strength when you can just run it down his esophagus - wasn't that how people figured out Kam Wimbley here sooner than later. A Robert Quinn sack volume doesn't tell me he can rank with JJ Watt at stopping the run because he's exclusively a 1 gapper when JJ Watt can excel in either or 1 gap or 2 gap scheme. Remember back in pre-draft when it was rumored Watt could only play in a 3 man front? Wade Phillips used a 4 man front 78% of his snaps when he aced his rookie gig. THAT is what watching film can do vrs summarizing what the mock draft consensii predicts he's limited too. . A Courtney Brown that makes most of his tackles for losses from backside clampdowns when nobody blocks him doesn't tell me how good he is vrs the run coming directly at him. When I watched Michigan choose to run directly AT him all day - they owned time of possession while they sustained long drives punctuated with TDs. Pretty strong foreshadow of what could follow at the next level. That's what SEEING vrs summarizing things written or summarizing sacks can do. Let's hope a 1st overall pick can tackle someone for a loss when nobody blocks him. But watching his olay move removing him from the play with my eyes paints a more accurate picture of why he couldn't cut it at the level we needed him to even before he got injured. Your types that spend all day online summarizing stats or other people's comments and calling that research are the exact same kind of fan that once replied to my suggestion of exploring Russell Wilson in round 2-3 in a disrespectful "Ever hear of Colt McCoy pal?" That was RG3's biggest fan that had no idea the athlete on the track scholarship was only 1 more knee injury away from NFL life in the pocket he is not compatible for. That's exactly what I think of when I see a disrespectful feller like you thinking my screen name is brand new and your going to have fun at my expense in front of your buddies. The difference is I don't need to pm and recruit help. When the best they can do is tell me how overwhelming anything more than 2 paragraphs is to read - that ranks right up there with Brutus and Cassius telling Ceasar they got his back. You're in good hands...

You keep bouncing back to what the inflated passing numbers vrs the 2-14 mini-bus fire drill Ray Horton orchestrated skewed your projections to as your excuse FOR the volume of TD receptions from our WR Corps almost as if Travis Benjamin's talent at WR really projected 32 TD receptions over 16 games and Hoyer's perimeter help projected 48 TDs IF Alex Mack stayed healthy. Trust me when I tell you 8 TD receptoions from an NFL WR Corps slam dunks a group that needs more help than you care to admit. Did Brian Robiskie, Greg Little, or MoMass ever look legit because Alex Mack could pass protect? That had to be REAL fun playing QB when Edward Scissorhands could prolly catch betetr than Greg Little. Where's he STARTING today? Robiskie? MoMass? Stuckey? Where am I supposed to join you in saying we're easy to QB as long as Alex plays and we just go with anyone at WR? In actuality, if we had the 2013 versions of Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron - we have 2 scoring weapons making the Pro Bowl with an undefeated QB on our hands. If we had Bitonio and the 2014 version of Greco playing in 2013 along with what Cameron and Gordon were giving us - we might have even made the entire group of former Houston Texans practice squad RBs look like keepers. I don't know how many times I can reiterate to you that it doesn't matter if we have ideal pass blockers and a nice running game if our talent outside can't catch, get open or lend a wing span to catch a football in traffic (like Dalton has regardless of how much he sucks) against the closing speeds at the NFL level. The talent at QB also mattered regardless of how well mack and Thomas kicked ass when our 2 former first round clowns only combined to win 1 game they started. THAT matters too obviously. All your high school debate team tricks aren't working on me man. They're not.

What else do you feel you can teach me in front of your audience? Maybe you could have just let me get reacclimated before you thought you had an easy newby to pounce on in front of your buddies? Maybe you could have just read my first post in this thread before summarizing whatever buddy pm'd you we got another new guy to play hard ball with. Blood in the water alert. The old school in here is wired a lot tougher than that kind of kid stuff.

I read the entire thread... can't say the same for your last couple posts.

The profile click was to see how long your absence was. First time I'd seen someone with over 12k posts that I'd never seen before.

Like Mud said... thicker skin.

I'll only add that a grasp of the concept of disagreeing will help you.

Pretty interesting that we're both in a thread about Kevin White where my first post was we can prolly get a nice bargain with Perriman in round 2. Bigger picture? There's a reason a lot of people want to add scoring threats to an offense that looks to be in another very delicate QB situation like opening the 2007 season seemed to be. While that season was the last time Braylon Edwards prioritized football over partying and Joe Jurevicius suiting up - putting the scoring potential on the perimeter while giving CPR to Jamal Lewis' career - sure helped get 29 TD passes under DA's belt (w/ 20 TD receptions to our WR Corps). That kind of help at least got DA a new contract that Hoyer won't get even IF LeCharles Bentley never got past the first day of training camp. Hank Fraley was a God Send that played like a poor man's Alex Mack from making all the line calls to pulling from his center position.

1 year later, we had all the same blockers and Jamal but the situation on the perimeter reflected Braylon's interest like 2014 reflected Gordon's interest after total contentment with only 1 Pro Bowl with all that talent. Sound like an ad for toilet paper? It should.

It's not rocket science. If you don't have enough guys that can score TDs outside - our blue collar route that has often included 2 olinemen with Pro Bowls/ Pro Bowl Alternates can end up meaning as little as 4-5 wins in remaining 1 dimensional. This keeps our 5-6 blockers upfront outnumbered by 8-9 men in the box. When we can't make pay they'll stay. Another QB will end up getting scapegoated out of town. How many more times do we need to see the sequel before we all understand it as a consensus?

Professor Flugels strikes again.

Btw, the Bengals have given up on Greg Little, too.

Passes drop off him like they were thrown at a brick wall.....

Professor Flugels strikes again.

Btw, the Bengals have given up on Greg Little, too.

Passes drop off him like they were thrown at a brick wall.....

Whaddya mean Mike? Passes HAVE been thrown at a "Little" brick wall.....His most logical next venture is only natural...

Greg Little Masonry Co. LOL

Mike

I don't think adding a wr early in the draft is very important or even that helpful at this point. And I also don't think it would have helped us out that much last year. It might have made us a little better, but not much... I think we need to do a better job getting wr's via free agency... there seems to be a few to be had in the market this year. We don't need world beaters, just solid players who can get open and catch the ball when it is thrown to them. Like many, I think paying the price for a super star wideout should come after your team is already built and you are just needing that last little bit to push you over the top.

My guess is, it's Shelton if he's there, or

one of the top three wr's if he's already been picked.

Then Malcolm Brown. Or... maybe Malcolm Brown with the first pick,

and one of the top three, or Strong for a wr pick.

They may very well pick another wr later, but they need a dynamic difference maker

who catches the ball, is quick to get open off the los, and can take off.

It's a nice draft to nab a very solid RT/LT with the second round pick.

Sure, it would be nice to just get Agholor sp? with the second pick, but don't bet on him

being there.

Flugel, you're wrong. Get over it. Tour2ma is far, far more accurate than you in analyzing the usefulness and importance of OL.

WR are shiny hood ornaments and entirely inconsequential to the success of an offense. Deal with it. Or, you know, prove me wrong using statistics.. not with inaccurate regurgitated "EVERYONE KNOWZ" drivel. The obligation is on you to PROVE your assertion.. little man.

Your first hint: McCown had TWO tall, fast [one 1st round, 1 second round] WR last year.. and they both had great fantasy stats.. and what was the Bucs record again?

Can't wait to see you use zero statistics in your failure of a reply.

Archived