THE BROWNS BOARD

Crabtree Needs Surgery

WPB Dawg Fan

This is potentially HUGE!!!

Breaking Combine news: Crabtree needs foot surgery

INDIANAPOLIS -- Sitting here in the media room at the NFL Scouting Combine, the NFL Network is just reporting that Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree -- expected to be the top wideout selected in April -- has a stress fracture in his left foot that will require surgery.

Crabtree injured the foot in the Red Raiders' final regular-season contest, and apparently the Combine medical staff determined that the injury was more than just a sprain. The receiver will need to get a screw inserted into the foot in order to repair it.

Oddly enough, just yesterday Crabtree said that his ankle was at 95 percent, and that the only reason he wasn't running at the Combine was as a precaution. However, it looks like there's legitimate reason why he won't be running.

This situation may or may not affect Crabtree's draft position this April. Regardless, it certainly will put a bit of a scare into whatever team selects him.

I think this might hurt us. It means Curry has a greater chance of going if Crabtree doesn't go before us... plus it means we won't get as big of offers for our #5 pick if Crabtree is still there because of all of his foot, size, and speed uncertainty.

This definitely hurts us. He is going to drop quicker than hell and propels Curry higher.

This is why I say every year, if you're going to suck you may as well suck bad so you can draft exactly who you want or trade down.

I think this might hurt us.

No doubt....Curry was probably gone anyway....but you add in a question mark on Crabtree...and Andre Smith not showing up at the combine...he was a possible top 5...that throws things all that much deeper.

It's huge news. GM's do not want to draft damaged goods with a top 5 pick.

Although Mcgahee's injury may have been worse, it dropped him from a top ten, or even a top five pick to the 23rd pick.

Between the injury, the measurement of 6'1" and not real fast 40 time, I think you'll see Crabtree fall as much as McGahee did.

I could see him falling as far as #27 to the Colts.

Guest Aloysius

The Browns already have a meeting scheduled with Orakpo. I'm sure they'll also have one with Everette Brown.

I'm hearing that most teams have Brown rated higher than Orakpo. Personally, I'm hoping that we're not one of those teams.

Guest Aloysius

We'll see how he does in linebacker drills.

One of the reasons I like Orakpo better than Brown is that he'll be better at setting the edge in the run game. But you're right about pass coverage being an important question.

We'll see how he does in linebacker drills.

One of the reasons I like Orakpo better than Brown is that he'll be better at setting the edge in the run game. But you're right about pass coverage being an important question.

I know the NFL analysis says he is fuild enough to drop back into zone coverages.

if crabtree's stock is hurt and crabtree falls to the 2nd round do you take him, I say hell yes!

I sure would!

If he fell that far we'd never have a shot. I'd think Seattle or the Rams would certainly grab him before the Browns in the second round.

Both teams have WR needs.

I think he's still going to go 4 to Seattle and that'd leave the monkey wrench where it's always been - in the hands of the Chiefs.

Personally, I'm hoping that Sanchez has a terrific workout and that they don't even think about trading for Cassel. Or that Brady has a hiccup in his rehab and the Patriots don't move Cassel.

And that'd give us Curry (sign of the cross - please God).

I'm also with Alo concerning the Brown/Orakpo thing.

Beanpot

Listening to Kiper and Clayton on ESPN Radio earlier, they believe Crabtree won't drop past OAK at 7 or JAX at 8. I tend to agree.

I'd be shocked. Depending on the severity and location, a stress fracture can become a recurring problem.

He'll probably be out 10 to 12 weeks before he can begin training real hard. Whoever drafts him better be ready for a guy that will be behind because there isn't going to be a mini camp for him.

Archived