THE BROWNS BOARD

Jones allowed to test market

ballpeen

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/40008462.html

By Marla Ridenour

Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 09:34 p.m. EST, Feb 20, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS: Perhaps it was mere posturing before next week's start to free agency.

But in separate interviews Friday at the NFL Scouting Combine, Browns coach Eric Mangini and General Manager George Kokinis did not seem opposed to keeping quarterbacks Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson this season.

Others might not be so fortunate. Mangini said he would let strong safety Sean Jones test the waters when free agency begins Feb. 27, even though he acknowledged that if Jones leaves, he'll have to find a starter to replace him.

And Mangini and Kokinis were vague about the future of offensive tackle Ryan Tucker, receiver Joe Jurevicius and defensive end Robaire Smith. All are under contract, but coming off injuries and could be approached by the Browns to renegotiate.

Tucker (arthroscopic surgery on his right knee) is due to make $3.25 million in 2009; Jurevicius (seven operations on his right knee in '08, five to clean out a staph infection), $2.4 million; and Smith (ruptured left Achilles), $1.5 million.

It has been presumed that Quinn will be the Browns' starter in '09, especially since new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is expected to run the same New England Patriots-style attack that Quinn flourished in under Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis. That would leave Anderson, a 2007 Pro Bowl player, as trade bait, perhaps to acquire more draft picks. The Browns hold only four selections in the April 25-26 NFL Draft.

But as of Friday morning, Mangini said Anderson's camp had not asked him or Kokinis to be traded.

''We definitely haven't ruled out keeping both,'' Mangini said. ''What's important is that everybody has the opportunity to compete for the spot, and that it's fair.

''I don't necessarily think you have to trade if one guy beats out the other guy. Injuries happen all the time and, if you only have one guy at the position, suddenly you could be forced to change a lot with your offense. You can never have too many good quarterbacks. You can never have too much depth. Without evaluating all the elements, it's hard to say [we're leaning one way or other]. This isn't just specific to the quarterbacks.''

Mangini has spent a lot of time watching the Browns' 2007 and 2008 games and said there are ''things I like a lot about both guys.''

''I don't think the choice has to be made by 'X' date,'' Mangini said. ''I believe you have to go through it and make the right choice. It's much more important to me to let it play out and then make the best decision we can make.''

Kokinis said he didn't feel pressure to move Anderson because of the $5 million roster bonus he's due March 15.

''I don't think so,'' Kokinis said. ''All positions are valuable, but when you're talking about the quarterback position, you want to keep your options open, you don't want to have a deadline represent what decision you're going to make. Derek's a good player, and we want to give him the option and we want to give us the option of taking a look at it. In the grand scope of the football team, if it doesn't make sense, then we have to re-evaluate what we're looking at.''

What about Jones?

Another decision looming large will come with Jones, who had 14 interceptions in the past three seasons. A right knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery after the opener limited him to 12 games in '08, but the second-round pick in 2004 has long been considered a Pro Bowl-caliber player.

Asked why he wouldn't make an effort to re-sign Jones, Mangini said, ''It's a function of looking at the full body of free agents, looking at what's available in the draft and letting the market settle and see where it comes out.''

Kokinis said he would continue to talk with Jones' agent, Brian Mackler.

''I don't think there's any conclusions there,'' Kokinis said. ''I think Sean has done some good things for this football team. Again, we've got to look at the grand scope of things. We're gonna continue to talk to Sean and his representative to see if it fits.''

Reached by phone Friday evening, Mackler said he would not discuss Jones' situation until next week.

Mangini said the strategy could be the same for the other Browns' free agents, who include safety Mike Adams, cornerback Daven Holly, linebacker Andra Davis, running back Jason Wright, guard Seth McKinney and tight end Darnell Dinkins.

As for the aforementioned injured three, Kokinis said he hasn't spoken to Smith yet, but he has seen Jurevicius and Tucker at Browns headquarters.

''They've done a lot for this football team,'' Kokinis said. ''They represent things we want to strive for. They're good people. I'm going to meet with their agents here. I want to try to get with their representatives and see how do they feel about this new change. What do they think their role is going to be?''

With wilson being available it opens things up in berea it kinda sounds as though mankok may have someone else in mind at SS and they really didnt talk to greatly of him by saying"sean has done some good things for the team" but they sound like they are somewhat doubtful that jones will fit into the scheme of things..

While jones is one of our better players and a solid tackler i hardly see him as a pro bowl calibur strong safety he has some serious flaws in his game...i love jj but after all those operations on his knee and his age we have to question rather he can make it through the first game let alone the season..

Keeping both DA and BQ trade posturing or genuine?

I sure dont mind seeing a qb competition done in a non rigged fair way by coaches that can actually evaluate talent and effectiveness in our offensive scheme may the best man win and the loser gracefully accept his role as backup...

One thing is for sure mankok is approaching this offseason and their options in a slow methodical way that is painfully torturous to us fans it appears everything is up for grabs and they are keeping their inner feelings on things to themselves..

I like the slow appoach to FA rushing into FA is not a good thing to do when you have inherited a team that was poorly rush built from FA last year with only one great player emerging at the expense of this years draft picks...mankok has much evaluating to do before making serious decisions so im not complaining....;)

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/40008462.html

But as of Friday morning, Mangini said Anderson's camp had not asked him or Kokinis to be traded.

''We definitely haven't ruled out keeping both,'' Mangini said. ''What's important is that everybody has the opportunity to compete for the spot, and that it's fair.

''I don't necessarily think you have to trade if one guy beats out the other guy. Injuries happen all the time and, if you only have one guy at the position, suddenly you could be forced to change a lot with your offense. You can never have too many good quarterbacks. You can never have too much depth. Without evaluating all the elements, it's hard to say [we're leaning one way or other]. This isn't just specific to the quarterbacks.''

Mangini has spent a lot of time watching the Browns' 2007 and 2008 games and said there are ''things I like a lot about both guys.''

''I don't think the choice has to be made by 'X' date,'' Mangini said. ''I believe you have to go through it and make the right choice. It's much more important to me to let it play out and then make the best decision we can make.''

Kokinis said he didn't feel pressure to move Anderson because of the $5 million roster bonus he's due March 15.

''I don't think so,'' Kokinis said. ''All positions are valuable, but when you're talking about the quarterback position, you want to keep your options open, you don't want to have a deadline represent what decision you're going to make. Derek's a good player, and we want to give him the option and we want to give us the option of taking a look at it. In the grand scope of the football team, if it doesn't make sense, then we have to re-evaluate what we're looking at.''

Cool. I'm glad they are being patient with this and not spewing all over one QB.

As for Jones ... I'm not in love with the guy. He's average and can be replaced. So just don't overpay him.

Zombo

As for Jones ... I'm not in love with the guy. He's average and can be replaced. So just don't overpay him.

Zombo[/b][/color]

Today's paper also reports that Cribbs will get a look at a DB position. Clearly, the new front office is beginning to catch up to Roach's evaluation of talent. Thank goodness. It's lonely up here.

Today's paper also reports that Cribbs will get a look at a DB position. Clearly, the new front office is beginning to catch up to Roach's evaluation of talent. Thank goodness. It's lonely up here.

LOL....I agree man....I would have been working Cribbs at safety 2 years ago.

What troubles me is that Anderson seems to be a better practice player than Quinn. Gametime that seems to change. I hope it's just posturing in order to keep the value up.

Good point Sez, and I've said this for awhile. DA is a better practice player than Queen, I saw it with my own eyes. However, in actual games, those defenses can actually hit you standing back there,

Posturing is everything from here on out.

I wonder if this means they are looking at Jenkins and then a LB in the 2nd (or maybe hoping they can trade for another first to get their LB).

Someone posted the other day that Jenkins wouldn't fit in at SS. What do you look for in a FS vs. SS?

A little more physicality IMO. Jenkins is strong and athletic, but he has about 3 to 4 years to be elite at corner first. I just can't see drafting a corner with size at pick 5 and converting him to SS for run stuffing and TE responsibilities.

I'm a huge Jenkins fan, but I can't see it. We've got two decent young corners already, but Jones is not special and shouldn't be paid too much just because of need.

A little more physicality IMO. Jenkins is strong and athletic, but he has about 3 to 4 years to be elite at corner first. I just can't see drafting a corner with size at pick 5 and converting him to SS for run stuffing and TE responsibilities.

I'm a huge Jenkins fan, but I can't see it. We've got two decent young corners already, but Jones is not special and shouldn't be paid too much just because of need.

I agree. I think Jenkins will be a good corner. But I don't think he's the impact player you need with the #5 pick

Although it's well known that Mangini loves big physical corners.

I can echo the practice God that DA presents. Spent a day at training camp in Berea and came away flat out dazzled at the way his ball looks through the air. Cutting, tight and effortless motion. Guy throws a beautiful ball.

I'm worried about Jones. Primarily because we don't have an alternative at this stage. If we go out and sign a FA why not simply have tagged Jones?

I'm worried about Jones. Primarily because we don't have an alternative at this stage. If we go out and sign a FA why not simply have tagged Jones?

I'm sure it's a cost thing. I don't know the numbers but I think someone on this board said he get's over 6 mil if he's tagged.

I imagine they believe they can obtain another safety for a lot less money and Mangini probably wants that cap room for other positions of need.

I'm sure it's a cost thing. I don't know the numbers but I think someone on this board said he get's over 6 mil if he's tagged.

I imagine they believe they can obtain another safety for a lot less money and Mangini probably wants that cap room for other positions of need.

Yeah, what you just said.

For safety, the franchise tag is $6.3 million. For the transition tag, it is $5.13 million.

By not tagging Jones either way, it means we won't pay 6.3 million and don't want to start the bidding on him at 5.13 million.....and it probably wouldn't start that high, we would be stuck with that amount.

We are doing it the right way....let some other team start the bidding so we can consider beating it, or just let him go.

Some of you seem too eager to overpay for a pretty average performer.

JMO

Archived