THE BROWNS BOARD

Updated Logos Announced Today!

Zombo

Well....as the article noted....Paul Brown himself is the one that proffered the "Joe Louis" theory.....like I said, so as not to appear venal......

Of course when his archenemy, Art Modell later jumped on to PBs Joe Louis theory, Paul then "admitted" "no, no that team is name after MOI" he did so partly to chap Modell's ass......partly to try to retake the glory of the team's name for himself now that he was no longer a part of that team....but now a part of one of its rivals.....and partly for his own venality.

And now the Browns, post Modell, are going ahead with the theory that, in reality, yes, the team is named for Paul Brown, even if Paul Brown maintained for years that it wasn't.

My solution? Have the Browns PR department come out and say: The Cleveland Browns are named for its legends Paul Brown, Jim Brown and Joe Louis......and build statutes outside the stadium for them. Get some good PR going instead of dope smoking suspensions, rehabs, and all the other faux pas's that seem to beset this team.

Of course, then, if the team admits that Joe, The Brown Bomber, Louis is one of the namesakes, the "Brown" part of Louis's name is all about the color of his skin. Then like the Indians being named after a Native American, the Browns would have to admit their name means "African-Americans".

And what do you think the reaction to that would be?

And also, I mean, think of it, the Cavaliers are named after a group of people who supported an absolute monarchy.....in other words, they could be the supporters of a tyrant. So that is not good either.

I think they officially moved away from the Joe Louis position, since it makes absolutely no sense.

PB and JB, I'm all for.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about one thing. Many have said the new logo will still be the helmet. If so, wouldn't that be releasing a big portion of the uniform, that isn't going to be released for several more weeks?

I think it is going to be a little more than simply a helmet.

It seems that Brownie has been ruled out. The team has taken great strides to promote the Dawg Pound over the past few years. I think it will be long the lines of the dog logos posted.

We might gain some insight in to the color changes. I doubt they would keep the orange we have known if the orange of the uniforms was going to be some variant....be it more burnt or more copperish.

I hope they never clarify the name. I couldn't stomach it if it were named for brown people. As Gipper pointed out that would just be horrible. Just call it after the color brown and be done with it. The reds are named for the color red and the new Zealand rugby club is called the all blacks for their uniforms so just leave it at that.

Helmet is fine. Glad they didn't really change it. The 'dawg' sh!t shoulda been retired when the team came back in '99. The 'Dawgs' were an 'era' and a certain group of players that are LONG gone.

Archived