THE BROWNS BOARD

Updated Logos Announced Today!

Zombo

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a fun one that just hit the airwaves:

Long story short our truck got in last night to beat a blizzard coming. We are rolling out product on Wednesday, but I'd bet the logos leak tomorrow because If we got this product lots of other stores did too.

The first is a lighter than we're used to Brown block C With a white outline. It's pretty straight forward.

The second is the new helmet. It's a darker orange with a broad Brown stripe bordered in white with what looks like little hats in the stripe like Seattle's wing pattern. Brown facemask too.

The final one is my favorite and if I had to guess, is bet it's the new primary logo. It's a sillouhette of a man from shoulders up wearing a derby hat but his chin is to his chest and the hat's brim covers all but his chin and a smirk. His hat is brown with a orange stripe. His coat is orange and his tie is brown.

I think it's Paul Brown and they can't show his face because of his son that owns the Bengals. But it's seriously bad ass.

I won't post pics because I love my job, but like I said it's probably leaking tomorrow because I know we're not the only store that got a truck tonight.

If I had to venture a guess, custom gear for the S&C staff or gym use.

Was it the barbell that clued you in? ;) It is a great look though...

Comment on ESPN the other day that the biggest news around our new logo was that we apparently have had a logo...

Not true.

Yes, it is true that many (including long time owner Art Modell) proclaimed that the team be named after Joe Louis.....but it is probably not true that it is. Certain people said "name the team the Browns after yourself Paul" He said "no"....and then selected like the Panthers or something to be the team name....but there was a problem with that....PB didn't want to be associated with a previous losing team known as the Panthers.....so he acquiesced and said "OK, they can be the Browns.....but they aren't named after me...though he was coy about who they were named after, eve stating that they were named after Joe Louis, the Brown Bomber". Even though in essence the team is named after him, he didn't want to appear venal in that regard, so....wink, wink, nudge, nudge, they got Joe Louis involved.

There’s some debate about whether Cleveland’s professional football franchise was named after its first coach and general manager, Paul Brown, or after boxer Joe Louis, who was nicknamed the “Brown Bomber.” Team owner Mickey McBride conducted a fan contest in 1945 and the most popular submission was Browns. According to one version of the story, Paul Brown vetoed the nickname and chose Panthers instead, but a local businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers. Brown ultimately agreed to the use of his name and Browns stuck.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/12/were-the-cleveland-browns-named-after-boxer-joe-louis.html

Yes, it is true that many (including long time owner Art Modell) proclaimed that the team be named after Joe Louis.....but it is probably not true that it is. Certain people said "name the team the Browns after yourself Paul" He said "no"....and then selected like the Panthers or something to be the team name....but there was a problem with that....PB didn't want to be associated with a previous losing team known as the Panthers.....so he acquiesced and said "OK, they can be the Browns.....but they aren't named after me...though he was coy about who they were named after, eve stating that they were named after Joe Louis, the Brown Bomber". Even though in essence the team is named after him, he didn't want to appear venal in that regard, so....wink, wink, nudge, nudge, they got Joe Louis involved.

There’s some debate about whether Cleveland’s professional football franchise was named after its first coach and general manager, Paul Brown, or after boxer Joe Louis, who was nicknamed the “Brown Bomber.” Team owner Mickey McBride conducted a fan contest in 1945 and the most popular submission was Browns. According to one version of the story, Paul Brown vetoed the nickname and chose Panthers instead, but a local businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers. Brown ultimately agreed to the use of his name and Browns stuck.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/12/were-the-cleveland-browns-named-after-boxer-joe-louis.html

Right. It was circulated that Joe Louis was the reason, but it eventually came to be that wasn't actually true. PB himself said so.

Jack Clary writes in his book, "Cleveland Browns," that an effort was made to associate the team with a winner, and Joe Louis was in his prime. The NFL Encyclopedia says Brown rejected the name at first but later agreed to have the team named after him. In later years he said that the naming of the team had nothing to do with Joe Louis

So Brown eventually bowed to popular sentiment and went with the Browns (I believe that there was the formality of having a second poll, but it was clear what was going to be the #1 choice). For years, though, Brown played it coy over whether the team was named after him, publicly offering up the Joe Louis suggestion. Also, after Brown left the organization in the 1960s after a dispute with new owner Art Modell, the Browns (under Modell) supported the Joe Louis version of the story (which would almost certainly be why the Washington Post reported as such in 1995, since that was the official position of the Browns organization at the time). Brown, though, never really held fast to the Louis position and late in his life he would cop to the fact that the team was named after him.

The Browns, meanwhile, support the "Named after Paul Brown" position. From the Browns' media guide: Not a single entry in the contest listed Louis or his nickname as a reason for choosing ‘Browns.'

Another theory is that, while the poll was happening and the local journalists didn't have a name to call the team, one journalist said something like "Hell, let's call them the Fightin' Browns until they get a name" and then that, coupled with the results from the poll, was enough to convince PB to keep the name...begrudgingly, of course.

Given the fact that Joe Louis is from Alabama and there wasn't even a black football player until 1946 let's just say I'd be very surprised if the fans of the Cleveland team banded together to make a statement supporting African American heritage. Were I a betting man I'd probably put my money against that idea.

WSS

Right. It was circulated that Joe Louis was the reason, but it eventually came to be that wasn't actually true. PB himself said so.

Another theory is that, while the poll was happening and the local journalists didn't have a name to call the team, one journalist said something like "Hell, let's call them the Fightin' Browns until they get a name" and then that, coupled with the results from the poll, was enough to convince PB to keep the name...begrudgingly, of course.

Well....as the article noted....Paul Brown himself is the one that proffered the "Joe Louis" theory.....like I said, so as not to appear venal......

Of course when his archenemy, Art Modell later jumped on to PBs Joe Louis theory, Paul then "admitted" "no, no that team is name after MOI" he did so partly to chap Modell's ass......partly to try to retake the glory of the team's name for himself now that he was no longer a part of that team....but now a part of one of its rivals.....and partly for his own venality.

And now the Browns, post Modell, are going ahead with the theory that, in reality, yes, the team is named for Paul Brown, even if Paul Brown maintained for years that it wasn't.

My solution? Have the Browns PR department come out and say: The Cleveland Browns are named for its legends Paul Brown, Jim Brown and Joe Louis......and build statutes outside the stadium for them. Get some good PR going instead of dope smoking suspensions, rehabs, and all the other faux pas's that seem to beset this team.

Of course, then, if the team admits that Joe, The Brown Bomber, Louis is one of the namesakes, the "Brown" part of Louis's name is all about the color of his skin. Then like the Indians being named after a Native American, the Browns would have to admit their name means "African-Americans".

And what do you think the reaction to that would be?

And also, I mean, think of it, the Cavaliers are named after a group of people who supported an absolute monarchy.....in other words, they could be the supporters of a tyrant. So that is not good either.

Archived