THE BROWNS BOARD

Bands that you can't stand

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what makes this thread funny. Music is so subjective, it's as tough to debate as politics.

Sabbath has been my favorite since Vol. 4 came out in 1973. I still listen to them, especially at the gym with my ear buds. Their 1st 8 albums with Ozzy, were great. Then Dio hopped in and while different, they still jammed. Ozzy as a solo artist, I don't like a whole lot.

Tony Iommi and Jimmy Page are masters of the guitar in my opinion.

Bands I can't stand is a tough one. Certain genres, like rap, I can't stand. I guess if I had to name one that I never understood how popular they are, it would be U2.

Ya jjust us cool guys like it :)

Some really great bands drawing hate... To each his own...

There are only a few that make me change the station...

Kiss, Golden Earing and Foghat top that list for me along with Phil Collins... although some of his Genesis stuff is listenable. It just pales vs. the Peter Gabriel led efforts.

As others have pointed out there are plenty of Rock sub-genres I generally steer clear of. But most will still have a group or two I can enjoy. A couple have even achieved guilty pleasure status only to be revealed in the midst of a good drunk with good friends.

There've been a few groups over the years that have worked their way off my "no play" list.

The Doors are one example. Bought a remastered, 2-CD "Best of..." 12 years ago or so just because I did not own any so there was a hole that needed filling. Working late one night I spun it as background and ended up shelving the work and going into one of those magical midnight listening sessions. So friggin' musical...

Another was AC/DC... pretty much the same story. Filled the hole with a couple remastered LPs when BMG cleared out their stock a decade or so ago. Ended up a very late blooming fan...

so much for having open minds.....

isn't art like undistinguishable from one to another's viewpoint?

lot of music sucks. so does people and cars and dogs and cats and polar bears and the cold air and peyton manning and your sister's ass and cats and cats..

There's plenty of stuff that appeals to me. Plenty of stuff I don't like to listen to it all. Some that I absolutely love and some I can't stand.

I'm not necessarily right and they aren't necessarily wrong, just whatever strikes my fancy. For a lot of different reasons.

One side thought I've often had is that the person who claims 'well I like all kinds of music' probably really doesn't love any of it. Maybe?

My number one request of all time is brown eyed girl. I don't particularly find it foul but I'm puzzled that so many people find this to be the one song above any other to bring joy and meaning to their lives.

WSS

My wife and I like very different music. She was always new wave progressive and I leaned more to rock. After years of music battles at the stereo, we each have gain some appreciation for the others music. I call it conditioning. She turned me onto the pretenders, talking heads and simple minds, all bands I wouldve hated otheriwse. But her all time favorite, the cure, still curls my hair.

I think its the whiny vocal that gets me. But there are a few songs that I like and are pretty catchy. But its just a few. Another one that grew on me were the Hudoo Gurus who have a really flat vocalist. He's really not good, but for whatever reason I still love to listen to them. Real uptempo fun music.

Some really great bands drawing hate... To each his own...

There are only a few that make me change the station...

Kiss, Golden Earing and Foghat top that list for me along with Phil Collins... although some of his Genesis stuff is listenable. It just pales vs. the Peter Gabriel led efforts.

As others have pointed out there are plenty of Rock sub-genres I generally steer clear of. But most will still have a group or two I can enjoy. A couple have even achieved guilty pleasure status only to be revealed in the midst of a good drunk with good friends.

There've been a few groups over the years that have worked their way off my "no play" list.

The Doors are one example. Bought a remastered, 2-CD "Best of..." 12 years ago or so just because I did not own any so there was a hole that needed filling. Working late one night I spun it as background and ended up shelving the work and going into one of those magical midnight listening sessions. So friggin' musical...

Another was AC/DC... pretty much the same story. Filled the hole with a couple remastered LPs when BMG cleared out their stock a decade or so ago. Ended up a very late blooming fan...

Now who is issuing the hate. Some great bands you are dissing there, this one in particular:

I love KISS for what they were/are. Materialistic, unapologetic, glam rock.

You won't see me advocate for them being of music genius with complete originality, god no.

As for the British Invasion, I have always been quite partial to The Who out of all of them.

As for bands I simply hate and cannot listen to.

Petty (I honestly think it has little to do with talent and performance so much as just flat out being overplayed)

Nickleback

Creed

ICP - not a bad, just trash attempt at rap

99% of 80's hair groups

U2

Bruce Willis. No sir, I will NOT respect myself.

I want to test Gipper...

Gip... the sky is blue.

Not to be confused with "Love is Blue"... by?

Why... The Paul Muriat Orchestra of course...

I bought Moontan for "Radar Love" when it was a new release. Sold it to a fan after one listen...

I put Golden Earing right above ABBA on my list of favorite foreign bands...

She turned me onto the pretenders, talking heads and simple minds...

One of these groups prompted the only time I've ever driven straight to a record store to buy an LP based on first hearing of a single song. Missed the name of the song and the group so had to remember:

"Under the water carry the water... there is water at the bottom of the ocean..."

More than enough clue for the guy working the checkout at Record Evolution*.

The Song: Once in a Lifetime

The LP: Remain in Light

The Group: Talking Heads

Counting going back to their earlier releases, they gave me a good 10 year run...

* Not to be confused with Record Revolution on Coventry Road. A great record store in the heart of what was once Cleveland hippie central...

I want to test Gipper...

Gip... the sky is blue.

Not to be confused with "Love is Blue"... by?

Why... The Paul Muriat Orchestra of course...

I bought Moontan for "Radar Love" when it was a new release. Sold it to a fan after one listen...

I put Golden Earing right above ABBA on my list of favorite foreign bands...

The only thing being tested here is the fact that you are missing out on a good band in Golden Earring.

I mean, are you fucking Nigel Powers?

My number one request of all time is brown eyed girl.

You mean behind "Freebird" right ;)

Hearing "Play Freebird"!! every fucking night is one of the biggest reasons I quit gigging..

Someone mentioned AC/DC.. One of my all time favorite quotes .. "I'm sick and tired of people saying that we put out 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we've put out 12 albums that sound exactly the same." Angus Young

Hearing "Play Freebird"!! every fucking night is one of the biggest reasons I quit gigging..

Someone mentioned AC/DC.. One of my all time favorite quotes .. "I'm sick and tired of people saying that we put out 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we've put out 12 albums that sound exactly the same." Angus Young

Nope, I get three times as many requests, probably more, for brown eyed girl. Lots of assholes shout out a free bird because they think its funny, but real requests

b e g.

WSS

I'm surprised U2 on so many lists. While I wouldn't go out of my way to see them to put them in with Insane Clown Posse seems a bit odd.

Again my inclusion of Petty and U2 has little to do with music talent. They are superior to any group I listed and have talent in their own right. It's just their music I've found insufferable or beyond overplayed.

Free bird story.

I worked with this dude and he went to see LS right. He took a female with him. Free bird was playing and she told him it was her fav. He ducks down and swoops her up between her legs and lifts her so she can get a good look.

LS decided to play the extra long version and he was getting so tired and still didn't want to look like a pussy and put her down. He did anyway he said fuck it because she was a big girl. Lmao

I didnt know any body that actually liked U2 which is part of the reason I always wondered how they became such a mega super group. Who were all these people buying their music?

Lots and lots and lots of people.

Here is an anecdote about U2: In high school my daughter had to do a project whereby she had to take the play Romeo and Juliet and apply some kind of medium to it. She chose to take the songs of U2 as a sort of a soundtrack or correlation to various scenes in Romeo and Julet.

Example, the one I remember is that she used Sunday Bloody Sunday for the fight scene....and various things like that.

Two Hearts beat as One for one of the Love Scenes. Their version of Everlasting Love for another.

It actually was a cool project, and a lot of these songs fit in perfectly. I would have to dig it up to see the whole thing she did. She got an A on it naturally.

(she ain't gettin As in college)

Who knows, and who cares? Records are selling even though I don't know anyone who owns a Britney Spears record, a Michael Jackson album or a Katy Perry CD.

WSS

Yes, you do. I own Thriller. Michael Jackson. Or, at least my wife does, can't recall if she bought it or I did. Have had it since it came out, what? almost 30 years ago?

But Britney and Katy? No, we don't have those (though my daughter may)..and you know her.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you do. I own Thriller. Michael Jackson. Or, at least my wife does, can't recall if she bought it or I did. Have had it since it came out, what? almost 30 years ago?

Ditto... plus I bought Bad. Read an article about the recording process used for that CD and the SQ is spectacular.

MJ was a meticulous producer on the order of Alan Parsons when it came to his music.

The first time I spun APP's I, Robot... I was slack-jawed. It was like everything else I owned had a veil on it. MJ's Bad is that kind of experience.

Archived