THE BROWNS BOARD

Rumor: Browns interested in trading up for Mariota

WalterWhite

Risky? Only if it doesn't work... I wanted no part of RG3. I tap danced when the Rams snubbed our then President Walrus.

But I'll tell you what... for a bargain basement asking price, I'd take a chance on him now.

I felt better about Manziel as a prospect than I do Mariota...and that's saying something. From a physical standpoint, Mariota is obviously better suited to make the transition. Same for mental makeup. From all accounts, Mariota is a great teammate and a humble individual. However, in basically every other aspect, he's risky.

For reasons that have been hashed and rehashed by Tour (and others), I'd have to definitely say no on Mariota.

Something about a guy from a high-powered offense that relied more often than not on pure speed differential for success is just scary. He's never really been behind in his life.

Rehash is what I do best...

MM vs. JM... hadn't thought in those terms...

Hard to say for sure given what has transpired in the past 10 (?) months, but I'm pretty sure I favor MM over a freshly declared JM.

Maturity and self-control (on-field) were my big JM concerns then. No such MM issues... just the opposite, MM seems too laid back to lead.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes. I forgot about that. I didn't know until I heard it here, well after the fact. I thought we only tried for RG3.

But there you go. They declined quickly on an offer of our entire draft. With two first round picks that year to boot.

Other than NT, what hole is there on our team that is anywhere near as glaring as our QB situation? And, isn't that the most important position in all of sports?

I'm not sold on trading 3 #1's for a guy, but if you really look at the talent on this team there aren't as many holes as some of you seem to conjure up.

yes there are....we suck at rushing the qb....we suck at pressuring the qb....we still cannot stop the run...so for the most part, our lb's suck...what friggin games were you watching last yr....we cannot get off the field...you want me to keep going...

I'll continue to say this until the end of the draft, the Browns are not a Marcus Mariotta away from the playoffs. If he is somehow available at 12, take a chance, but do not mortgage the future for a guy who hasn't been asked to run an NFL style offense. I hope Farmer has learned from his mistakes.

yes there are....we suck at rushing the qb....we suck at pressuring the qb....we still cannot stop the run...so for the most part, our lb's suck...what friggin games were you watching last yr....we cannot get off the field...you want me to keep going...

Our LBs didn't suck but they were more pass coverage East-West guys. I do think we could use a tough ILB that would step up a hit somebody. Each year I'm hoping for that "Ray Lewis" type to put on the Cleveland Brown, problem is those guys don't happen very often.

No more trading up or down! I'm sick of it.

The Browns have done that so many times since their rebirth, and it has yet to work. Stand pat at #12 & 19, then a pick at #43, and it should be fine.

They screwed it up last year, I think they had 3 picks in the top 35, and we dealt it away. Trust the scouting department and draft the guys on your board as they fall, for once.

If we got Eminem and Johnny Football, we'd be set at QB for awhile.

Our LBs didn't suck but they were more pass coverage East-West guys. I do think we could use a tough ILB that would step up a hit somebody. Each year I'm hoping for that "Ray Lewis" type to put on the Cleveland Brown, problem is those guys don't happen very often.

Denzel Perryman is exactly what we need.

I hope Farmer has learned from his mistakes.

i don't think farmer made many mistakes year sans the JF pick card handed to him by the owner.

i think if haslam let's his employees do their jobs w/o interference this could be a great draft.

selling your soul for 1 unproven rookie at the most important position in the game is never a good idea unless you and your staff have the guy as your potential prized 'no doubt whatsoever' pick. and i doubt anyone in any FO this year besides tampa bay or philly think either winston or mariota are the next andrew luck.

but hey, you never know. that's why we're not sitting in those seats.

Let's build a killer front 7 and patch up the OL

Guys like Shelton, Brown, Scherff, Perryman, McKinney, Thompson, Beasley, etc.

I agree with Walter.

That being said, what special QB's will be coming out the following year?

I did find this:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016QB.php

Mariotta is going to be really good in this league.

Probably the best QB to come out over the past 2-3 seasons.

He's everything you want to turn the ship around.

Laser focus on football and have 0 off field issues.

He's got that Manning/Luck work ethnic. Lives and breaths football.

Have all the physical intangibles (Tall, fast, strong, accurate, live arm).

A man that can lead men.

Makes me laugh that you look at last year and blame the defense...

The same defense that finished in the top 10 in scoring and top 10 in Yards per Play, despite being on the field for an NFL-highest 1,118 plays last year, which I blame the offense b/c we were also top 10 in 3rd down percentage and turnover differential...

Let's not look at the offense that finished bottom 6 in scoring, dead last in team completion pct, dead last in TD passes, and 2nd from last in QB rating...

Yes, but please keep going...

Mariotta is going to be really good in this league.

Probably the best QB to come out over the past 2-3 seasons.

He's everything you want to turn the ship around.

Laser focus on football and have 0 off field issues.

He's got that Manning/Luck work ethnic. Lives and breaths football.

Have all the physical intangibles (Tall, fast, strong, accurate, live arm).

A man that can lead men.

Given the QB's that have come out of the draft the last 2-3 years. That isn't saying much.

Makes me laugh that you look at last year and blame the defense...

What made me laugh was the emphasis on our inability to stop the run in a reply purporting to disagree with a post stating how our need for a run-stuffing NT was 2nd only to our need for a QB.

More proof that the Browns might be going for Mariota??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/11/complaints-begin-about-browns-brazenly-exploiting-loophole/

And if you read the stupid comments, people are quick to call the Browns FO dirty for this.

I freaking love the story... if not the thought of drafting MM.

That being said, what special QB's will be coming out the following year?

I did find this:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016QB.php

DraftScout projects two years beyond the current based purely on graduating seniors.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2016&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

First thing to strike me... not a runt in the litter...

I will go on record as saying I dont want to trade up to get him.....not 2 first rounders at least.....

Now......if he drops, say to 8 or 9.......THEN id consider a trade up with a 1 & 3 or something....

But, in the end, not a huge believer that he's the one we need.....

What made me laugh was the emphasis on our inability to stop the run in a reply purporting to disagree with a post stating how our need for a run-stuffing NT was 2nd only to our need for a QB.

I still agree that NT is our #2 need. Our defense is fantastic, and I still think that's the only position in NEED of an upgrade. I said multiple times throughout the season that the problem with run D was not having a true 3-4 NT and I still believe that.

Having said that, QB is the #1 need and just like years' past I don't care what we do to get our guy, as long as we get OUR guy. If the FO loves Mariota, then I'd give them all the credit in the world if they pulled the trigger and went and got him. BUT, they have to believe that he's OUR guy and they have to add weapons on offense to allow him to succeed. That goes for any QB we bring in...

For those who think we should load up in the draft on D, I just think that's missing the mark completely. Why do we need to invest so much in an already top 10 defense?

I guess the issue I've always has is picking need for the sake of need. Then convincing yourself you took the right guy.

Yes, QB until it is solved will be a need. But you don't go out and take a player with a skill set and background scheme you find to be highly questionable for the sake of "picking" a QB.

I see difference makes along the Dline in this draft. I can't say the same with QB.

And if the front office has to convince themselves they like Mariota - then i don't want any part of that.

Hard to know whether this FO has fallen into the "need" trap.

I've no doubt that our previous FO did exactly that when it came to Wheezy.

That said, you always have to be looking for your next QB. You just have to remember that he may not be in the current draft.

Archived