THE BROWNS BOARD

Rumor: Browns interested in trading up for Mariota

WalterWhite

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would this be bad?

I go back-and-forth with this one. If we think Mariota is the guy, don't we HAVE to utilize our resources to get him on the roster?

Really, what are our other options at QB?

Anything that won't take 3 first round picks

Chump Kelly is all hot and bothered over Marky Mark and wants to trade up to grab him, we can help them. Toss them a 2nd and a mid rounder for Nick Foles or even swap a 1st and give 'em a mid round pick. Grab Foles and let them blow their draft load on Mariotta. Use the rest of the draft on WR's and TE's for Foles to throw to.

this isn't happening. The Eagles don't have the ammunition, and the Browns would have to sell the ranch.

Id do both 1st rounders and next years 1st to go up and grab him.

That what it would take (at least) , and if you watched the National Championship game Mariota isn't worth it.

Anything that won't take 3 first round picks

this isn't happening. The Eagles don't have the ammunition, and the Browns would have to sell the ranch.

That what it would take (at least) , and if you watched the National Championship game Mariota isn't worth it.

ONE game and you concluded he isn't worth it? lol. Let's just dismiss everything else he's proven and accomplished over the last 2-3 years.

Good Lord we our the Cleveland Browns. I never want to even think again about giving up NEEDS over a 1st round QB. You people scare me more than Farmer and Haslem!! Look at our pass genius idea's of this at QB. God please Joe Montana was not Joe without a deep OL,TE, Backs and WR's that could block for him. A QB for now is a FA (and not Hoyer) or 5th round our later.. We have not even started fixing our D yet. It's like a city worker "we can't fix all these hole's over night"..

Good Lord we our the Cleveland Browns. I never want to even think again about giving up NEEDS over a 1st round QB. You people scare me more than Farmer and Haslem!! Look at our pass genius idea's of this at QB. God please Joe Montana was not Joe without a deep OL,TE, Backs and WR's that could block for him. A QB for now is a FA (and not Hoyer) or 5th round our later.. We have not even started fixing our D yet. It's like a city worker "we can't fix all these hole's over night"..

Be a sport gumby. There must be a way you could compromise and help extend this lunacy another 10-15 years. We don't need no linemen. They'd just get in the way of the next great savior.

My thing with Mariota that I really like about him is he always keeps his eyes down the field even when under pressure. That's one of those things that's hard to teach a QB that he does really well. However, Ohio State really brought out all the flaws in his game. I think he's got a great shot to be a solid starter but he can't be a week 1 starter or even a first year starter IMO. In either case I really doubt the Browns reach for him.

You just see teams so many times (Browns included) who keep trying to build around a quarterback and failing. As if one really good quarterback is a cure all for everything. I agree. I would like to see them fix some other holes. Improve an already talented team.

Other than NT, what hole is there on our team that is anywhere near as glaring as our QB situation? And, isn't that the most important position in all of sports?

I'm not sold on trading 3 #1's for a guy, but if you really look at the talent on this team there aren't as many holes as some of you seem to conjure up.

Other than NT, what hole is there on our team that is anywhere near as glaring as our QB situation? And, isn't that the most important position in all of sports?

I'm not sold on trading 3 #1's for a guy, but if you really look at the talent on this team there aren't as many holes as some of you seem to conjure up.

Offensive line depth?

With Alex Mack at center we could compete with Brian Hoyer at quarterback.

D line upgrades could raise our run defense out of the sewer. That forces the other team to throw the ball to our above average defensive backs.

WSS

I have no problem trading 3 #1s for a QB if you are certain he's the guy. For example, I'd give 3 #1s for Andrew Luck in a heartbeat, or Aaron Rodgers. So, if you have an absolute can't miss guy like Andrew Luck, then go for it - is Mariota or Winston that good? I'm not convinced.

The Browns defense that looked so good against the Colts really matched up well with Colts weakness of running the ball. Luck was not nearly as successful throwing into our secondary like he did against the Bengals and the Broncos in the playoffs. Once the Browns defense start shutting down the run game to go along with their good secondary they are going to be an excellent defensive unit. So they do have the need to get some players on the defense to improve their defense against the run.

I have no problem trading 3 #1s for a QB if you are certain he's the guy. For example, I'd give 3 #1s for Andrew Luck in a heartbeat, or Aaron Rodgers. So, if you have an absolute can't miss guy like Andrew Luck, then go for it - is Mariota or Winston that good? I'm not convinced.

The only problem I see is, if you have a sure-thing QB like Luck, all 32 teams will clearly see that...if it's that solid. And in a situation like that, the first overall pick isn't going to give it up for anything, not if they need a QB. And this year, Tampa Bay is one of those teams. I don't think Indy would've given their spot up for Luck for anything. Actually, did anyone even try to deal with them on it?

The only problem I see is, if you have a sure-thing QB like Luck, all 32 teams will clearly see that...if it's that solid. And in a situation like that, the first overall pick isn't going to give it up for anything, not if they need a QB. And this year, Tampa Bay is one of those teams. I don't think Indy would've given their spot up for Luck for anything. Actually, did anyone even try to deal with them on it?

Yes. We did.

But Holmgren, then the team president, had a higher target in that draft, someone he wanted more than RG3. And the Browns will face that player on Sunday: Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck. Holmgren said in the past that at an owners' meeting, he approached the Colts and offered the Browns' entire draft to acquire the No. 1 pick so the Browns could take Luck.

The Colts declined. Quickly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/10319/browns-tried-to-acquire-andrew-luck-in-2012-draft

Yep, anyone worth giving up the farm for, we won't be able to give up the farm for.

There are flashes I've seen. However, its usually accompanied by a breakdown in the play and MM extending said play. You can't continuously live off of that in the NFL.

I think we agree that you need to see more than "flashes" to be worth a first.

As for the whole "extends plays when they breakdown" thing... too deja vu for me...

If we traded as much as it would take to land this guy, there is no way in hell he sits his rookie year...

And to be honest, given his skill-set, he seems like the kind of guy who could start right away. Not sure he'd be any less effective than Hoyer/Manziel/Shaw from day 1. Remember, it'll be a whole new offense for everybody to learn...

Ah, but you have to remember that our HC is allergic to rookie starters at QB...

- It takes a while for Mariota to get through his progressions when the first read is gone. Fortunately he has the mobility to extend plays and to keep his eyes downfield.

I watch MM and I do not see "read progressions"... I see scans for open receivers... same as I did JM. The extends bit is familiar as well.

The Eagles don't have the ammunition, and the Browns would have to sell the ranch.

Sure they do... their ammo is simply not in the form of draft picks in hand. They have solid, first-round talent on the D-line and O-line plus an intriguing QB that would no longer be needed.

It's only a matter of how bad Chip might want his guy and whether their first-round roster talent is considered "untouchable"... and if he wants MM bad enough, no one will be untouchable.

The issue is that as of now, only a direct deal with TB, who likely takes a QB, assures Chip of getting MM. Any deal we might get in on has to be a 3-way and is not going to happen for a while... maybe not until Draft Day 1... after TB takes Jameis.

1. Hard to argue that QB is not THE position of need, let alone in competition with need.

2. On the O-side, we are closer to QB being the final piece than you are acknowledging. We have good, young RBs. We have good, young WRs. We have good TEs (not as young). We have a great starting O-line. You don't wait to upgrade "good" and you sure as hell do not wait for depth.

3. On the D-side, yes, there are pieces that are still needed, but none of those pieces directly jeopardize the well-being of any QB we invest in today the way an inadequate O-line would.

The timing is right. The question is: is the right QB prospect there?

Ah, but you have to remember that our HC is allergic to rookie starters at QB...

I watch MM and I do not see "read progressions"... I see scans for open receivers... same as I did JM. The extends bit is familiar as well.

He's tabbed his first read, then after that - yes, he does the 'scan' for open receivers. I'm surprised more of their slot dots haven't had their heads taken off on those shallow crossers.

I think we agree that you need to see more than "flashes" to be worth a first.

As for the whole "extends plays when they breakdown" thing... too deja vu for me...

Absolutely. I was merely playing devils advocate. There is more to like about MM this year than there was to like about Manziel this time last year. I still would not sink a high pick in either. Clearly the latter my opinion was vindicated on over the course of this season. As for plays breaking down, MM at least has the discipline to move to an open area in the pocket and look for his receivers. JM? Not so much.

MM was completely exposed against Ohio State in the title game.. he needs significant coaching up. Unlike JM, though, he probably will be able to handle it.

He's in no way a day1 all-pro.

In what way was he exposed?

Manziel was suppose to be all-world. Look how that turn out.

It's all about the characteristics of the individual.

I felt better about Manziel as a prospect than I do Mariota...and that's saying something. From a physical standpoint, Mariota is obviously better suited to make the transition. Same for mental makeup. From all accounts, Mariota is a great teammate and a humble individual. However, in basically every other aspect, he's risky.

For reasons that have been hashed and rehashed by Tour (and others), I'd have to definitely say no on Mariota.

Something about a guy from a high-powered offense that relied more often than not on pure speed differential for success is just scary. He's never really been behind in his life.

I think the RG3 debacle has shown that trading 3 #1's is too risky. The Redskins not only hurt themselves at the QB position, but they also cost themselves other players who could have contributed. Prior to that draft, Luck, and RG3 were can't miss. Many of the "experts" said teams were fools for not moving up to get RG3. They said the Redskins "got their guy for the next 10 years". The problem is that the Redskins didn't have as good a team around RG3 as the Colts had.

Now I do believe the Browns are in a position to make a move for a QB. I didn't believe we were 2 years ago, but we might be now. I am not sold that our Dline is garbage, as 2 years ago they were our deepest position. We have other holes, but a good QB could have gotten us to 9-7 this year, maybe even 10-6. Next year will be tougher, but I think we are finally in a position to make that move. Just not for 3 #1's.

Archived