THE BROWNS BOARD

Open Letter *from* Josh Gordon

gftChris

I'm a Bills fan.

Zombo Loses when it comes to thinking, you know it when he plays the moderator card, hence, my new nick name...

No, I don't think the Pats don't have Character issues. I think they win because they pick up discarded players like Gordon and win another ring.

You are a Bills fan posting on a Browns forum. You should always remember that and roll with the punches. You make some good points but when you counter and attack the Browns you are not winning anyone over here.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really Toxic? You don't know me, or anything about me, or how I think..

You guys just dispense the insults instead of considering the thought.

what insults from me? no i don't know you but who's to say if i met you we wouldn't hit it off and have some chuckles.

the thing is (and was my point) that even though he's a kid and has immense talent doesn't mean that you need/have to keep dealing with the same russian roulette negative bullshit coming from him.

most are calling manziel a failure because he can't play the game. i'm calling gordon a failure because he CAN play the game but would rather do his thing and not worry about how that affects the browns org.

there's no room for that in that biz for people like that or any other biz. he woulda been fired after strike 2.

That's not what I read. I read that he is a stupid and irresponsible kid with money, who has no mentor in his life. And, his teammates who should understand the position this kid comes from were even more irresponsible and stupid..

In one way, I agree.

In another way, the onus is on him to sack up and start taking responsibility for his actions. Someone's smoking weed around you? Don't be around them. You're on a league-mandated alcohol program? Check the terms of your suspension before drinking again.

At some point the training wheels have to come off.

Everyone forgets that these guys are just kids, and a product of their environment.

He has been of legal adult age for 5 years. Not a kid.

The problem is that many upper tier college and pro athletes have a stunted emotional or maturity - I read a study once wear a lot of star athletes have the emotional maturity of a 14 or 15 year old, because once their potential is identified they have the skids greased for them.

One can debate the hypocrisy of the NFL substance abuse program, but he should know the rules by now, and how to play by them if he wants to keep playing NFL ball.

People would do him a favor if they dropped the idea that he's a kid, and messing up because of "his background." Enablers are disablers.

TCPO/Mohican, the Browns drafted him. If you had a better system of vetting players, maybe you would have picked someone else. Don't take this the wrong way, the Bills are no better. The fact remains that he is your pick. It's easy to dump him, and then you have nothing.. Work it out...

That has absolutely fricken nothing to due with my post on this topic, but hey, if you're in upstate New York and it's almost February then you probably have a good jag of Boone's Farm on board just to keep afloat. Peace, brother.

Simple answer is whether the NFL, Browns, NFLPA should or shouldn't be involved, and no matter where our opinions fall. Josh Gordon is a man, and is responsible for his choices. Whether the rules are right or not for him, doesn't mean he can just not follow them. I hate some of the rules at my job, and guess what? I still follow them. Make bad choices, suffer the consequences. Make good choices, and reap the rewards. Simple.

TCPO/Mohican, the Browns drafted him. If you had a better system of vetting players, maybe you would have picked someone else. Don't take this the wrong way, the Bills are no better. The fact remains that he is your pick. It's easy to dump him, and then you have nothing.. Work it out...

There's very little that "vetting" can do to correctly predict future decisions or behaviors.

Each prospect is subjected to a psychological evaluation along with their physical evaluation. Each prospect background is checked. Each prospect has a dossier that details exactly who they are, where they came from, what they do, why they do it, and what they'll likely do in the future. But it's not perfect science. If it were, we wouldn't have draft busts.

The fact remains that he is an investment, and some investments don't pay off. Holding onto a player that could be detrimental to the future success of your team just because you invested in him isn't always the smartest move. In fact, it's almost never the smartest move.

If we let Gordon go and he goes off to become an eventual superstar, that's great for him. That doesn't mean he would have done it here. That's what people don't realize. It's not "oh, stupid Cleveland...releasing a HOFer because of a little pot." It could be that releasing him is what makes him a superstar. It could be that getting in with a different team, a different locker room, is what causes him to make changes. When you make a choice, there's no way of knowing what the opposite choice could have yielded.

Obviously, there are bad influences in the Cleveland Browns locker room. Personally, I wonder if Johnny is at the root of this year's troubles with both Gordon and Gilbert. It's obviously not fair to blame someone for another person's antics, but knowing that Gordon and Manziel are buddies in their down-time, it's not that hard to image that Gordon is being put in situations he may not have been put in with other teammates this year. Having one player with known decision issues and another with known motivation issues is already a risk. Dropping a polarizing party boy who's known for his extracurricular activities into the middle of that seems like a recipe for disaster.

I'll go on record as saying I think releasing Manziel could very well be what helps Gordon and Gilbert get back on track. Build a locker room of strong, professional players with great work ethic that all buy into the system, then you can start to take a risk and drop a few talented "bad seeds" in there one at a time. Just like New England used to do. That bad seed is either going to assimilate and rise to the level of his peers or the locker room will reject him and he'll flame out. Either way, you're not compromising your team's integrity. When you start trying to add questionable character players en masse, that's when things get hairy.

Drop a droplet of blood in a cup of water, it quickly disappears. Squirt a bunch of blood in that same cup of water, it starts to tint the water.

Let me get this straight. You (JG) have millions of dollars and a very forgiving fan base on the line and yet you don't know by now the rules you have agreed to play by concerning any and all substances?

OK. I buy that. Got any land in Florida to sell me too? or the Brooklyn bridge maybe?

Please.

Well I bet his agent or whoever worked the deal told him once the season is over, maybe even league season. He assumed when his season was over. What I would like to know is if they gave him a date. So on March whatever you will no longer be tested for this. If they did that I would have very little leeway. However if they said season in any form I think its a reasonable step to believe it was a misunderstanding on the date. The purpose of the testing who to help enforce no drinking while playing, that was done. Banning a yr for semantical purposes would be dumb.

Simple answer is whether the NFL, Browns, NFLPA should or shouldn't be involved, and no matter where our opinions fall. Josh Gordon is a man, and is responsible for his choices. Whether the rules are right or not for him, doesn't mean he can just not follow them. I hate some of the rules at my job, and guess what? I still follow them. Make bad choices, suffer the consequences. Make good choices, and reap the rewards. Simple.

I absolutely agree. Nonetheless, I'm glad he had a PR firm write a letter answering allegations. It was well written and in some cases, he corrected misapprehensions and uninformed judgements. I give it an 8/10 for actually generating a little bit of favorable sympathy or empathy from me.

Unfortunately, we still have the issue of his choices (informed or otherwise) and I'm not dumb enough to believe every word of his statement. I use a 10-1 rule of thumb for rule breaking. If he got caught once, he probably broke the rules 10 times and got away with it. I don't fall for "it was the first time" or "I didn't know the rules" and wish he would avoid those statements because they just make the matter worse. Now it's not just that he chooses not to follow the rules, it's that he's also too stupid to understand the conditions of those rules.

I do believe in Karma and the consequential good/bad fortune that comes from doing good/bad things or making good/bad choices. I find that for the most-part, good things happen to good people and vice-versa. Gordon has been borderline twice (drugs and DUI) and has paid a dear price for it. That's unlucky, I guess, but If he doesn't have an addiction problem, why would he come 100 yards from prescriptions, alcohol or drugs with 2 or 3 strikes on his record? His situation may be unfortunate but he decided to play with matches and now he's dealing with 1st degree burns.

My advice to Josh: Clean your Karma. Got a year off? Make up for your mistakes. Do right by the Browns and players that have stood by you by sticking to your original contract and asking for forgiveness/another chance. Hire a QB and learn the play book inside-out. Don't work as a used car salesmen, become a volunteer at a rehab center or kids hospital. Help the homeless or bring poor kids to Browns/Cavs/Indians games. Leave nothing to chance when it comes to drugs/alcohol/prescriptions. Ask for reinstatement by the NFL. Then when/if you do get reinstated, tear up the league and change the poor image that shadows you today. That's the formula ... Ate you man enough to take the challenge?

I personally believe Josh Gordon. I think that you "holier-than-thou" fucks out their, you bitter fucking cock-suckers, should shut the fuck up and suck that cock for a while and just let the kid play football. It's rather ridiculous that the NFL feels the need to control this kid and ride him the way that they do. It's really fucking gay.

Let the kid play football? Lol...you are aware he most likely will be suspended the entire 2015 season? So when is he supposed to play?

I don't believe for one second that gordon actually wrote that

Of course he didn't- no more than LeBron wrote the "coming home" piece.

Not this someone though.

Har- you think just maybe Josh didn't already know he was screwed, and decided to live it up with the party animal?

My advice to Josh: Clean your Karma. Got a year off? Make up for your mistakes. Do right by the Browns and players that have stood by you by sticking to your original contract and asking for forgiveness/another chance. Hire a QB and learn the play book inside-out. Don't work as a used car salesmen, become a volunteer at a rehab center or kids hospital. Help the homeless or bring poor kids to Browns/Cavs/Indians games. Leave nothing to chance when it comes to drugs/alcohol/prescriptions. Ask for reinstatement by the NFL. Then when/if you do get reinstated, tear up the league and change the poor image that shadows you today. That's the formula ... Ate you man enough to take the challenge?

That is well said- but Josh is beyond his last strike- at least with the Browns it will be interesting to see what they decide to do.

Umm, 2016.

It's a suspension, not a death sentence..

I have lost patience with Gordon and I don't want him back as a Brown. I don't want to see us lose him and get nothing though. I want us to hold on to him and if possible trade him later. With his talent other teams will trade for him even with his issues. He has given the Browns a lot of headache maybe we could at least get something back for him.

Marshawn Lynch committed a hit and run here in Buffalo.

He was also notorious for bringing his own alcohol to down town bars. Never tipped, and was a genine asshole towards anyone in the public sector.

And ofcourse there was the call from the papers to trade that immature and irresponsible thug, and the old Bills guard did.

We got a fourth rounder which turned into a nobody named Tank Carder who is now on your team.

Great deal huh?

Try patience, or you could trade him to us for a 4th or 5th, and you can learn that lesson.

I wouldn't disagree. I was taking the position of just trying to get something for him. It would be in the Browns best interest to keep him.

*Although if we could get someone better than Tank I would be open to offers.

He was also notorious for bringing his own alcohol to down town bars. Never tipped, and was a genine asshole towards anyone in the public sector.

And ofcourse there was the call from the papers to trade that immature and irresponsible thug, and the old Bills guard did.

We got a fourth rounder which turned into a nobody named Tank Carder who is now on your team.

Great deal huh?

Try patience, or you could trade him to us for a 4th or 5th, and you can learn that lesson.

those are the chances you take in biz and in life.

are you going to hold to a women who you know has cheated on you 3 times only because you're afraid if you boot her the fuck out she'll find someone better than you?

show me a good looking woman and i'll show you some schlub that's tired of fucking her.

Ofcourse he didn't. I'm sure a PR firm did, but what does that have to do with his message?

He's a kid, remember what you were doing and what you were thinking at his age?

Guys who are incredibly short sighted like Toxic, would you cut the Vets who were drinking on the plane? You know, the guys that Gordon wants to "fit in" with?

Your team character problems run much deeper than Josh Gordon, and I feel those enabling vets are more responsible for this last suspension than Gordon himself.

you know about this? you have facts? No of course not - you are talking out of your ass

you come here "Bills fan" (awhile back) lauding Pettines coaching and his overall quality - which we all would agree

and now slam the culture in which he helps shape? wadda asshat

Ball Sack has been spewing garbage since he's been here. As bad as the Browns have been, the Bills have gone even longer without sniffing a playoff or meaningful game. So I can't blame him for trying to find some kind of self esteem somewhere.

A damaged loser who needs to pull others down to feel better.

Holy cow. Go back to Buffalo already.

Great deal huh?

We'd win that trade just like we won the last one.

Yo. Momma a boy living in the basement... Someone is ringing the bell at the convince store you work at, better get on it....

1) who visits another cities fan site just to stir muck?....you

2) who spends everyday here?....you

3) who's been asked to leave repeatedly?....you

4) summary?....whos a fan of the Bills who spends everyday posting at a Browns site, posting hate, calling names, slamming the team and can't accept he is just another loser troll???....you

project much?

Ball Sack has been spewing garbage since he's been here. As bad as the Browns have been, the Bills have gone even longer without sniffing a playoff or meaningful game. So I can't blame him for trying to find some kind of self esteem somewhere.

A damaged loser who needs to pull others down to feel better.

Holy cow. Go back to Buffalo already. Manzier

I agree.

I'm going to use My Stepbrother as an example here.. And as much as it hurts.. Josh needs a change of scenery.. My Brother was a habitual crack user.. He moved to the Dallas/Ft Worth area to be near his youngest kids.. He changed his life around and is staying clean. As his Mother said to Me.. Ohio isn't a good place for your Brother.. Maybe Cleveland isn't a good place for Josh...

Well, with all of that awesome trade winning, I'm shocked the Bills kicked the living shit out of you guys this past season.

That offensive line? Kinda made Joe Thomas look like turnstile.

Good luck playing tomorrow. It's unbelievable that Watkins led you guys to the Super Bowl in his rookie year.

We'll just enjoy your first and fourth round picks this year.

By the way...your coach quit.

Umm, 2016.

It's a suspension, not a death sentence..

A suspension is when you are missing games, and after a set amount you can just return. Josh Gordon CANNOT return in 2016. He must apply to be re-instated. They use the term suspension very loosely here, he can be refused entry back into the league in 2016. That's not a suspension, and that isn't a guarantee he will be back in 2016. If he so much as gets a parking ticket, is photographed with Manziel this year, he could see his "suspension" as you put it added to by simply refusing his re-instatement.

Yo. Momma a boy living in the basement... Someone is ringing the bell at the convince store you work at, better get on it....

I love when I see a gay wannabe response like this from some douchebag trolling another teams board. I'll bet you're a doctor right? That's why you've got so much time on your hands to troll the board of a different, non related, non rival football team's fan forum.

Archived