THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

JAFBF

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say Houston.....dont think Brians skin is thick enough to play in New York.....talk about dealing with tough fans, wicked press, etc

Hoyer probably has a better shot at the starting job in New York, though. Especially if the Texans decide to keep Mallet.

I had this conversation with my friends a week ago. If Mariota slips to 6, the Jets will be fielding plenty of calls. They'd do well to have a starting caliber QB on their roster in order to have some flexibility to move, if they needed.

Here's my scenario I posed last week to my Jets fan friend:

Jets bring back Darrelle Revis.

Jets sign Brian Hoyer.

Jets sign Clint Boling.

Jets sign Jordan Cameron.

If Mariota slips to #6...

Jets trade #6, 2015 4th to CLE for #12, #19, 2016 2nd + late round pick.

Cleveland takes Mariota at #6.

Jets take Shane Ray, DE/OLB, at #12.

Jets take Jalen Collins, CB at #19.

Jets take Melvin Gordon, RB or Todd Gurley, RB, in the second (assuming one of the two is available.)

Jets take Tyler Lockett in the third to replace Harvin.

Now New York has a receiving corps of Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Jordan Cameron and Tyler Lockett. They have a possible three down RB prospect in Gordon/Gurley. And they have a decently solid offensive line with Mangold, Ferguson, Giacomini and Boling. All they need is an moderately efficient guy to distribute the ball to their playmakers. And they still get to address their number one need (CB) in the first round.

Hoyer probably has a better shot at the starting job in New York, though. Especially if the Texans decide to keep Mallet.

I had this conversation with my friends a week ago. If Mariota slips to 6, the Jets will be fielding plenty of calls. They'd do well to have a starting caliber QB on their roster in order to have some flexibility to move, if they needed.

Here's my scenario I posed last week to my Jets fan friend:

Jets bring back Darrelle Revis.

Jets sign Brian Hoyer.

Jets sign Clint Boling.

Jets sign Jordan Cameron.

If Mariota slips to #6...

Jets trade #6, 2015 4th to CLE for #12, #19, 2016 2nd + late round pick.

Cleveland takes Mariota at #6.

Jets take Shane Ray, DE/OLB, at #12.

Jets take Jalen Collins, CB at #19.

Jets take Melvin Gordon, RB or Todd Gurley, RB, in the second (assuming one of the two is available.)

Jets take Tyler Lockett in the third to replace Harvin.

Now New York has a receiving corps of Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Jordan Cameron and Tyler Lockett. They have a possible three down RB prospect in Gordon/Gurley. And they have a decently solid offensive line with Mangold, Ferguson, Giacomini and Boling. All they need is an moderately efficient guy to distribute the ball to their playmakers. And they still get to address their number one need (CB) in the first round.

I like your analysis from a Jets perspective.....sounds great really.

Im just thinking more along the lines of Hoyers choices and what (i think)he's looking for and just think the Jets and NYC are not in his comfort zone....Houston and Obrien sound more comfy to me....

Though....I would like the plan if I was a Jets fan...

Pettine said in interview we are still in for Hartline and Trent Cole ..... also TE Ed Dickson been linked via several twitter journalists

Pettine also said a long term contract for Gipson is "being discussed" if true I think it would be the best decision we could make in free agency. Also heard that Trent Cole's visit went well. Pettine also said that the option is on the table to bring in another QB this offseason but the Browns don't feel the pressure to draft one.

I like your analysis from a Jets perspective.....sounds great really.

Im just thinking more along the lines of Hoyers choices and what (i think)he's looking for and just think the Jets and NYC are not in his comfort zone....Houston and Obrien sound more comfy to me....

Though....I would like the plan if I was a Jets fan...

Oh, yeah, from a comfort standpoint, nothing beats Houston for Hoyer. He gets to reunite with O'Brien and goes to a much, much less harsh fanbase.

Just for laughs, these QB's are being linked to the Browns (rumor city) :

Foles

Kaepernik (Cap issues)

Brees (due to Saint Cap issues)

This has already broken, but I'll put it here as well for a place mark :

SiriusXM NFL Radio @SiriusXMNFL · 2h 2 hours ago RT @DustinFox37 Breaking: Brian Hartline is signing with the Cleveland #Browns.

Cleveland Browns have expressed interest in Darrelle Revis, who loved playing for Mike Pettine

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_browns_have_expresse_1.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And I thought they had no interest in making a big splash? He would be like one of the top 5 UFAs out there.

Suh, Demarco Murray, Justin Houston?

The fact that the Browns have mucho dinero to spend....and the interpersonal relationships can change the FO's position. Though perhaps this is just strictly a Revis/Pettine stance. Farmer and Haslam may want no part of it.....but maybe this may be an area where Pettine wants to flex his muscle by saying to his boss: this is MY guy. I want him. With him and Joe Haden we would have the best DB in creation....we got the money, lets get him.

And I thought they had no interest in making a big splash? He would be like one of the top 5 UFAs out there.

Suh, Demarco Murray, Justin Houston?

The fact that the Browns have mucho dinero to spend....and the interpersonal relationships can change the FO's position. Though perhaps this is just strictly a Revis/Pettine stance. Farmer and Haslam may want no part of it.....but maybe this may be an area where Pettine wants to flex his muscle by saying to his boss: this is MY guy. I want him. With him and Joe Haden we would have the best DB in creation....we got the money, lets get him.

While I agree they may like him, I think his price is going to be way too high.

It really looks like Chip Kelly is going to make a run for Mariota :

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL · 22h 22 hours ago Several teams in talks with Eagles about Foles, #Rams are considered "leading contender" per source.

Follow up :

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL · 21h 21 hours ago Can confirm #Rams have "upped their offer" for Foles from what they floated in January, do not know specifics of that offer or current one.

Odd that the Rams are going after Foles since they have Bradford, but they are busy cutting Cap space . . .

More on Eagles going for Mariota :

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL Never pay sticker price RT "@975TheFanatic: Schefter on Eagles trade up: would be two 1s, two 2s, two 3s, and that's for 5th pick!"

While I agree they may like him, I think his price is going to be way too high.

But, the Browns have like Top 5 money available to spend.....and correct me if I am wrong...but the cap rules now say they must spend it, no?

Revis is a mercenary. The Browns have money that not many others have....and I suspect that that too is attractive to him. Give him a two year deal. It could work.

But, the Browns have like Top 5 money available to spend.....and correct me if I am wrong...but the cap rules now say they must spend it, no?

Revis is a mercenary. The Browns have money that not many others have....and I suspect that that too is attractive to him. Give him a two year deal. It could work.

My thoughts were they had to spend it too, but Grossi was asked about it last week or so and said Browns are okay.

CB Revis & Browns is getting some legs under it though, let's wait and see.

Couple more Kelly hits :

NFL Network @nflnetwork · 28m 28 minutes ago "I think the next move for (the Philadelphia Eagles) is getting Marcus Mariota." -Brian Baldinger #NFLFreeAgency

NFL_DRAFT_Bites @NFLDraftBites · Mar 8 Chip Kelly owed 19.5 M 2015-17. I'm in his shoes, want to be leagues highest paid coach after 2016 or fired. Every incentive swing for fence

Upper Echelon QB may be coming to Market :

NFL_DRAFT_Bites @NFLDraftBites · Mar 7 Rumors Brees trade existed since December & best fit Rams.... there's a rift between organization & Brees' Camp.

NFL_DRAFT_Bites @NFLDraftBites · Mar 7 Brees unwilling restructure 26.4M Cap Hit w/o extension & more guaranteed money. And Payton doesn't want tie organization Brees next 3-4 Yrs

NFL_DRAFT_Bites @NFLDraftBites · Mar 7 Saints heading messy breakup. Payton will want out given ownership instability & when interject themselves on Brees its the final straw

These are one of the rumors that peg the Browns to Brees mentioned yesterday . . . also saw something that Manziel may be part of it, post release from Rehab.

Wild times these next few days, just crazy stuff.

Just for laughs, these QB's are being linked to the Browns (rumor city) :

Foles

Kaepernik (Cap issues)

Brees (due to Saint Cap issues)

Brees is a new name... not as thrilled at the prospect as I'd have been two or three years ago.

There are cap minimums and "floors", that teams like OAK are below. It was one of the reasons many thought the Raiders would land Suh. Those reports are the only reason I know one exists:

"Starting with (2013), each team is required to spend a minimum of 88.8% of the cap in cash on player compensation, and 90% in future years. However, the floor is based on total cash spent over each of two four-year periods, the first running from 2013–2016 and the second from 2017–2020. A team can be under the floor in one or more seasons in a cycle without violating the CBA, as long as its total spending during the four-year period reaches the required percentage of the cap."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/index

All free agents sorted by ESPN's ranking system.. It's good for relative comparisons and the expected salary in the upper R.

Instead of worrying about losing Sheard, we should be looking at Lions DE George Johnson.

Instead of salivating over Revis [who only considered NYJ, Buffalo, and NE] we should be calling Cromartie for another 1-year deal.

Could Kenny Britt achieve something in Cleveland?

A little more QB merit :

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 9m 9 minutes ago The #Saints have called around, open to shopping many of their players, source say. One notable player included: TE Jimmy Graham. For real.

Uhmmmm . . .

Aaron Leming @AaronLemingNFL · 18m 18 minutes ago Per source: #Bears were informed that DT Dan Williams will be signing with another team. That team still unknown.

For sanity's sake, I've been trying to push back the all the insanity, but there are still some items that merit consideration . . .

Someone hit the Eagles with a #1 for Bradford, there are rumors that it was the Browns.

There's still some smoke in this area, and regardless of what's been said it bears watching for possible future developments.

As I said on the Cameron thread - bad reporting . . . or dirty deal ?

I like Cameron, but injury wise he's almost out of the League, plus we're currently looking at Clay.

Hated loosing Skrine and Sheard, but good for both of them.

We just couldn't properly use and pay them for what we needed/wanted.

Bowe is now on the Market, and apparently the Browns are going to take a look.

Trent Richardson.

Wow - How the mighty have fallen.

I still think the guy has potential, he just has no vision - smh.

Might sign him to a 1 year deal just for the hell of it . . . maybe this new scheme and Coaching could do something with him.

QB Thaddeus Lewis.

Have to admit, I was a little surprised we cut him loose two years ago.

Thought he had a pretty good game as a Starter that last year, but he was gone the next.

As others have said, he may be the best QB on the Roster right now.

News Flash:

I will not be surprised to see the Browns sign some more QB's before OTA's/PreSeason.

We're looking for the best of the worst (or what's available) right now . . . wouldn't be surprised or adverse to us even pulling in Tebow right now.

Drew Brees.

Yeah, I've mentioned this one before, but it seems there may be even a bit more traction.

Saints are in Cap Hell, and both they and their Fans acknowledge they aren't going anywhere soon.

Rumor floating around of Brees to Browns for #12 & #19 . . . he'll be 36 for this Season.

Right now, due to the Graham trade, the Saints have two #1's this year.

With this trade, they would have four #1's . . . imagine what someone could do this year with four #1's . . . would you do that trade ?

My thoughts on this?

For Brees and #1 in 2016 (from N.O.), personally, I might actually do it.

Damn, I might be getting desperate, but Brees probably has 2 - 3 more good years, and with two #1's next year we might actually land the FQB we want.

All rumor, but something to watch and think about.

Start connecting some dots . . . what are you seeing ?

Not a chance in hell I'm giving up both number #1's for Brees. 19 - maybe. That's pushing it.

Compared to what we have right now . . . think about it for a while.

Right now it sounds damn bad (and I tend to agree), but when you start looking at his stats . . . #1 in the NFL for completion % . . . period . . . TD to INT ratio . . .

Compared to what we have right now . . . think about it for a while.

Right now it sounds damn bad (and I tend to agree), but when you start looking at his stats . . . #1 in the NFL for completion % . . . period . . . TD to INT ratio . . .

Sure. For a season, maybe 2 if you're lucky.

After that? You've traded two potential long term starters for a soon-to-be retired hired gun with a huge cap hit.

No. Thank. You.

Archived