THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

JAFBF

Exactly... makes me think Chip is some kind of thrill-seeking, adrenaline junkie.

Makes me think that maybe he knows something about Mariota that no one else does.

How many college coaches moved up to the NFL and then mortgaged their futures to get their old QB? It's not something that happens often. Kelly is the only coach who has had extensive experience with Mariota and he's willing to possibly give up picks in the next three years. Could be hubris, could be something else.

The worry of many fans is that we'll take him and he'll be like Manziel/Weeden/ etc. My worry is that we won't take him and he'll be like Rodgers.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes me think that maybe he knows something about Mariota that no one else does.

How many college coaches moved up to the NFL and then mortgaged their futures to get their old QB? It's not something that happens often. Kelly is the only coach who has had extensive experience with Mariota and he's willing to possibly give up picks in the next three years. Could be hubris, could be something else.

The worry of many fans is that we'll take him and he'll be like Manziel/Weeden/ etc. My worry is that we won't take him and he'll be like Rodgers.

I'll concede that Mariota is fast, has a good arm, and a great work ethic.

My big issues with him is I don't think he can hit the tight windows he's going to see in the NFL - his College WR's were usually all alone.

Also, the type of Offense he ran in College hasn't translated well in the NFL.

On a positive note, Gilbert may be shaping up.

Im holding out hope that he'll be MUCH better this year......no matter what folks like to say about him, dude is extremely talented and showed flashes of how good he can be....

His first 2 games were terrible, but he got better as the season wore on(and no one noticed?).......

Still looks like a future pro-bowl type player to me.....

It's probably a bit easy for all sorts of players with spectacular talent, to

go on talent alone in college, and not have to work their asses off to be great.

But like so many other players in the NFL have said, it's a big leap, to where

all the other players you play against, were also stars in college.

Gilbert has a great mentor in Haden, what a great addition to the starting lineup.

Just another reason why Haden might go down as my favorite Browns player.

Slightly off topic - Stevie Johnson. I wonder if a reunion with Pettine is in the cards?

While I do like Hartline, I might be inclined to sign Johnson over him if available. Especially if the money is right.

edit: Obviously some rumors on his attitude might be an issue.

They announced there was a rumor the Browns just made a trade for a "star wr".........then they came back and just said Browns are being "connected" to trade talks for a WR.....wtf???.......NOW they are just talking rumor about talks....total BS.....total crap sensationalism ( wknr the new fox of sports radio).....

Not a done deal, Browns are one of three Teams looking at Brandon Marshal.

Bears are wanting a 4th Rounder, which thanks to the Bills we have two of.

Oh, and Marshall has played with our new QB McCown

Yes, Marshall is big and hard to cover and a proven playmaker. But he turns 31 later this month, has played in 136 NFL games and has already been traded twice in his career -- for a reason. He missed three games last season, the first games he'd missed since 2010. He's caused a bit of drama in his career, on and off the sideline and both during and after games.

All receivers have demands and egos, sure. But does anyone think Marshall would be a happy soldier with the way the Browns are going to have to play offense?

The Bears were a disaster on and off the field last season, and an administration change is as good a time as any to move on from a volatile player like Marshall. It's about money, too - his base salary of $7.5 million for 2015 becomes fully guaranteed next Thursday, March 12, two days after the league year begins.

That about sums it up for me.

TL; DR:

-Traded twice

-Big money

-Big ego

Just watched a fair bit on Jordan Philips. I thought I was watching Big Phil when be was at Baylor. He doesn't dominate the center one on one because he doesn't have the burst or arm length. At the 0 tech he's a non existent pass rusher and gets stood up, quite a bit. At a 1tech he's a little more disruptive, flows pretty well laterally and looks serviceable.

He was worn down very, very quickly though. Probably the least stamina from any potential nose I've seen so far. Doesn't shed blocks very well because of his arm length, soft hands and lack of lateral quickness.

Maybe with a year or two in an NFL strength and conditioning program I could see a worthy higher investment. As it stands, I'm not putting anything more than a 2nd round pick down for this kid.

He had back surgery in 2013. That's a big concern especially if he's going to be asked to command double teams and keep blockers off the ILBers. Then there's the issues with his stamina and reports of taking plays off. I can't help but think of Gerrard Warren here.

(Chip) just believes in his system, good for him. His genius offense has net him zero playoffs wins and if it wasn't for facing the Big10's 2nd best team - probably wouldn't have any Rose Bowl wins under that system as well.

In all seriousness, teams at most may only utilize the read on 8% of their run plays - but when you present your QB as a ball carrier, the defense CAN hit him regardless if he has the ball or not.

As my team would...

Was pointed out by Kornheiser yesterday that Chip has the power and when you have the power, if you are going to fail, you are going to fail doing things your way. Tony also pointed out that Chip would only have his choice of about a half dozen college programs if he messes up in Philly.

Another distinct possibility...

Im holding out hope that he'll be MUCH better this year......no matter what folks like to say about him, dude is extremely talented and showed flashes of how good he can be....

(Gilbert's) first 2 games were terrible, but he got better as the season wore on(and no one noticed?).......

I think everyone noticed... The run back of his INT vs. Indy was a "thing of beauty". As was the manner in which he waited/ baited Luck into the throw just like the staff drew it up.

I think there were a number of young players that were blinded to the requirements of their new jobs by Johnny's "star power" approach. I think Justin was one of these and Johnny's subsequent rehab revelation has had a sobering (pun intended) effect on him.

Looks like Justin has a better work-ethic, role model now.

In regards to Marshall turning 31 this month (?), Miles Austin turns 31 in June I believe - I think there's a chance Austin could be back,

I think Marshall is a better WR, so it'd be nice to have a WR or two over 6' and that will fight for the Ball.

49ers (new player), Browns, Chargers, and Texans are currently looking into Marshall.

Minus - lots of WR FA this year and a good WR Draft means Teams trying to unload WR's are going to have a little more challenge.

Plus - see the Minus, Teams looking for WR's are going to have quite a few options this year (was this foreseen?).

For Mariota, well yeah, Chip was his HC in College and I'd expect he has a LOT of insight into Mariota.

Draft pundits are saying that Mariota will/has the best chance of succeeding in the NFL in Kelly's System, so I'd tend to put a LOT of weight in Kelly going after Mariota.

Problem with Kelly setting up a deal with the Jets @6 is the Browns might set up a deal with the Skins @5.

TB has Glennon, that Lovie has said is their FQB.

Tenn has Mettenberger that they may well consider to be their future FQB.

With this in mind, there's a chance that a trade out of #1 or #2, or even both positions is wide open.

Considering this, there is some validity to the rumor that Kelly is targeting a trade with TB for the #1.

From what I'm seeing so far, Kelly is aggressively filling his holes in FA.

He's restructuring his Cap space (McCoy trade), and getting players he wants/knows (Alonso played for him).

There's more to come, and there may be more under the hood than we're aware of at the moment.

FA kicks off Tuesday 3/10, and the new year for the NFL starts on Thursday 3/12.

Things could get very interesting in the next several days, and there's obviously a good chance that it impacts the Browns as they're the only Team to have 2 First Round Draft picks this year.

That does seem low for the way he's played the last 2 years, though I'd think that a major knee surgery has everything to do with it.....

He's fairly damaged goods right now, so until he returns and shows he can play, then the lower value makes some sense...

That works to our advantage, I do believe....

That is the only thing I can figure for giving him that grade.

OFF The Market:

Top 200 FAs signings:

Darnell Docket DE went from Arizona to San Fran.

King Dunlap OT resign with Chargers

Charles Godfrey FS resign with ATL

Shayne Graham K resign with Saints

David Harris LB resign with Jets

Rey Maualauga resign with Bengals

Josh McCown went from TB to Browns

Cole Beasley resign with Cowboys.

Grades of Browns FAs:

Cameron B-

Hoyer C

Sheard C

Austin, Bademosi, Draughn, Fua, Gipson, Kitchen, Robertson, Moore, Rubin, Skrine, Smith, Thigpen, all D.

The only player with more INT than Gipson the last 2 years is Richard Sherman, and Gipson even missed a big chunk of time last year.

Skrine is going to probably get starter money somewhere that isn't the Browns.

According to his grading scale, a D grade will mean a player is only worth a 1 year, minimum salary deal. I'd bet anything that Skrine and Gipson get wayyyyyyy more than that.

The only player with more INT than Gipson the last 2 years is Richard Sherman, and Gipson even missed a big chunk of time last year.

Skrine is going to probably get starter money somewhere that isn't the Browns.

According to his grading scale, a D grade will mean a player is only worth a 1 year, minimum salary deal. I'd bet anything that Skrine and Gipson get wayyyyyyy more than that.

I don't know, it seems that Polian must come from the management philosophy that "I don't want to pay anybody".

I know he takes credit for putting together both the Bills team that went to 4 SBs, and the Colts teams......but his main action in making those teams good was simple: he got Jim Kelly signed, and he drafted Peyton Manning. Kinda no brainers there.

Even Phil Savage and Mike Lombardi should not have been able to blow those opportunities.

TB has Glennon, that Lovie has said is their FQB.

Tenn has Mettenberger that they may well consider to be their future FQB.

Tenn might be a trade spot but if TB doesn't take Winston or Mariota I will eat my shoe. No way they trade that pick.

From a WR perspective, although I'm pretty against 1st round WR if Amari Cooper falls to 12 that's a no brainer pick. It seems like it may happen with the buzz White is getting. Amari is going to be an incredible player.

Edit: To update, the Jets got Marshall.

In what scenario would you guys consider drafting Tevin Coleman? Perhaps third round?

I wouldn't mind if our first four picks looked like:

1-12. DT - Danny Shelton

1-19. OT - TJ Clemmings (or La'el Collins)

2. WR - Dorial Green-Beckham

3. RB - Tevin Coleman

I don't believe he'll fall past the third round. I actually think he'll end up being a better runningback than Melvin Gordon and on the same level as a healthy Todd Gu

I like this a lot but would rather have the wide reciver from Georgia Chris Conley less of a risk off field and same physically atributes as Beckum

The only running back that interests me this draft that has the ability to bring something to the table Crow & West don't have is Abdullah.

The kid is a monster in space, great hands, can run a small handful of routes if need be yet has the strength and vision to run between the tackles.

Flip wants our backs to catch more passes in this offense - Abdullah with the ball in his hands coming out of the backfield has a chance to be special.

What we do not have on our roster is an elusive back with speed to burn. I like Ameer, but he's not that guy either.

Archived