THE BROWNS BOARD

DA STILL DOMINATES THIS BOARD

gmp

For a guy who has been thru so much negative commentary from this board. I find it amazing the interest his whereabouts or possible new team will be...

I think that even after he goes to Detroit, Tampa, Minn, or wherever..this board will still talk more about him then Quinn...

Does anyone realize, the qb that will be starting the year has absolutley no experience in starting in the nfl...and don't give me (2) games will do ya stuff....

The Browns biggest problem is still going to be at the QB position....No experienced starting QB, and GOD only know what bullsh*t backup will be starting by week 6......

If DA goes to the Lions, the QB's will be DA and CUlpepper, I'll take those two guys anyday over a Quinn and Gradkowski.....or whoever..

Funny the interest in a QB who got such a bad rap on this board......

I can't wait till week 4 and all the we should have never got rid of DA Posts...

Guest Masters

People are talking about where CLE can ship DA to for picks. Of course there is interest. People want to get those draft pick(s) to improve the team. Nothing amazing about that at all. Unless you don't read the posts.

Quinn ain't a rookie. He has 2 years in the NFL now. He has more in game experience now than Rogers did when he took over in GB last year. Certainly it is a big leap that Quinn can carry the load as the QB. But it is not any more of a leap w/ or w/o DA on the roster. It is no more of a leap than the leap that DA will suddenly be the QB he was for his first 7 starts in 2007.

Technically he's still a Browns player and nothing is for certain. I don't know why you're amazed at how many threads or post are about him. Good or bad, he's been the most polarizing Browns player since.... Hell, I don't know when.

But if it helps you sleep better, you won't have to worry about me posting a DA retraction in week 4.

Does anyone realize, the qb that will be starting the year has absolutley no experience in starting in the nfl...and don't give me (2) games will do ya stuff....

The Browns biggest problem is still going to be at the QB position....No experienced starting QB, and GOD only know what bullsh*t backup will be starting by week 6......

Ryan had how many starts? 11-5

Flacco had how many starts? 11-5

Cassel had how many starts? 11-5

yup, I get your point. We are in a shit load of trouble if we dump DA.

The sad thing is, the Browns weren't a very good team with DA at the helm last year, and they were a worse team without him at the helm. It's gonna be an interesting year. Hopefully the new coaching staff can shake things up and get better performances out of everyone.

For a guy who has been thru so much negative commentary from this board. I find it amazing the interest his whereabouts or possible new team will be...

I think that even after he goes to Detroit, Tampa, Minn, or wherever..this board will still talk more about him then Quinn...

If DA goes to the Lions, the QB's will be DA and CUlpepper, I'll take those two guys anyday over a Quinn and Gradkowski.....or whoever..

Funny the interest in a QB who got such a bad rap on this board......

I can't wait till week 4 and all the we should have never got rid of DA Posts...

Even if Quinn does suck it up, why the hell would I want to see streaky, inconsistent, below .500 DA? So keeping a guy that MIGHT suck just a little less than Quinn MIGHT is a good thing? We get it, you're in the same boat with Lum, a fan of DA, not the Browns.

BTW, Gradkowski isn't even on the team anymore. Way to keep up with the roster moves!

The sad thing is, the Browns weren't a very good team with DA at the helm last year, and they were a worse team without him at the helm. It's gonna be an interesting year. Hopefully the new coaching staff can shake things up and get better performances out of everyone.

You can also say they were a worse team without Quinn at the helm. Nice way to leave that out. So the fact that DA actually is better than Dorsey or Gradkowski doesn't actually make him better than Quinn.

You can also say they were a worse team without Quinn at the helm. Nice way to leave that out. So the fact that DA actually is better than Dorsey or Gradkowski doesn't actually make him better than Quinn.

Why does anyone ever respond to a thread by gImp?

LOL....well considering the reply you quoted was one I made to the 3rd DA Lover/Non-Browns fan D&S.....anyway, its a slow afternoon!

I didnt reply to anything peticular, just hit the reply button :)

Its not going to matter who starts for us this year quinn or even DA,cutler,warner,manning,Big Gay Ben,rivers or chris palmer unless we get some hands recievers fast or reprogram the ones we have our offense is going to suck..

Our offense is paper thin and unstable at WR our center gets completely owned and lewis likes to make his own hole even if one has been made for him 3 yds wide with blockers available to steamroll...we are screwed seriously i for one will be amzed if mankok can do anything with this offense while patching the defense..;)

DA is mostly trade/pick trade bait so expect it to get even louder until he is gone...then prepare for the lummy express of omg DA is gone we are doomzored..truth is this year we are offensively doomed no matter who starts without a WR corp..;)

What I find amusing is that now that we want to trade him to the highest bidder. He does not suck "quite as bad" as during the season.... think about that.. I'm smiling just typing this. hahha

Who in here has said he doesn't suck "quite as bad"? No one. Its the media types that are talking about the possible going price.

What I find amusing is that now that we want to trade him to the highest bidder. He does not suck "quite as bad" as during the season.... think about that.. I'm smiling just typing this. hahha

Not sure why. Luke McCown got us a 4th or 5th round pick as exchange value and we weren't exactly wasting millions of dollars on Luke at the time. There aren't ANY good offers on our doorstep at this time for DA. In addition, I'm hearing Garcia's name, Michael Vick's and even Chris Simms being mentioned more frequently than DA for teams in need of QBs. If that's not enough, guys like JP Losman and Kyle Boller are gonna offer up humble prices for teams as well. Like DA, they both have cannons but struggle with accuracy.

I NEVER thought I'd say this but I'd even warm up to the idea of Joey Harrington coming here as a backup.

- Tom F.

I NEVER thought I'd say this but I'd even warm up to the idea of Joey Harrington coming here as a backup.

- Tom F.

I think Joey is a bust as a starter, but I think he's got enough intelligence and intangibles to be a solid #2.

PS

We're talking DA for picks because he's the ONLY guy we can shuffle off with a little value and doesn't kill the position to trade him away since Quinn is here.

K2's knee is shredded and if we could get a 2nd or 3rd for him I'd be all over it since he's going to either be gone after next year or given an insane contract that's too long and bites us in the ass since there's NO way he'll be able to play those years in his current physical condition.

Edwards is just as streaky as DA but since he's currently the ONLY thing we've got at WR unless we grab Crabtree Stonehands aint going anywhere. Face it JJ isn't coming back as much as we like to hoot and holler he is. Stallworth? Please.

Who in their right minds would trade for a SINGLE member of this defense? Williams, Rogers or Jackson maybe? And what could we possibly get for them?

Thomas is the oline we've got worth a trade but no way in hell is he going anywhere. The left side is our single shining light, our middle is caving fast and the right is as good as gone if we don't bring in a guard ASAP and Shaffer decides to up and leave. Face it we're going to need 3 starters in 3 seasons and a whole lot of depth or the oline is going to turn into another glaring weakness.

Running backs on the block? We've got LEWIS. I wouldn't trade a pack of doublemint gum for him. Harrison hasn't seen the field enough to be anything but a tease and no one in their right mind is going to give up a pick for him if they can find a similar back in the later rounds.

So what if we're talking about shipping DA for a pick or two in anticipation to fill a glaring need?

He's both the most valuable and most expendable, plus gives the reigns over to Quinn without question which makes his trade a hot topic.

I like DA and hope we can find a way to keep him here in Cleveland.

Starters or not, both DA & Quinn are good depth.

He's a good kid Ate, but I don't think the fans of Cleveland will ever accept him again. After his comments about the fans in combination with his abysmal play.

I not only like DA, but I believe he WILL be the starting QB this season! Mangini hasn't stated a preference for Quinn like RAC did, so I don't see why anyone thinks that Quinn is going to be the starter. I think Quinn is a far better QB. Just my 2 cents!

I not only like DA, but I believe he WILL be the starting QB this season! Mangini hasn't stated a preference for Quinn like RAC did, so I don't see why anyone thinks that Quinn is going to be the starter. I think Quinn is a far better QB. Just my 2 cents!

Mangini saying BQ is the starter does nothing but decrease the value of a trade for DA...and make DA want out of here all the more.

In other words...it means nothing. Just what a good coach (read RAC wan't that good) would do in these circumstances.

Actually he has pretty much called Quinn out as the starter. Shopping DA around like they have show that they need to move him. Mangini won't a QB with NO short game. I've always liked DA as a person and loved the season he gave us. But facts are facts. Teams figured him out...cannon arm and little more. Hopefully, he gets another chance elsewhere because he deserves to compete for a starting spot. Quinn is a QB Mangini can work with and continually develop as a starter/leader. He fits what mangini wants...not saying he will be our savior but he is our guy.

Guest ATENEARS

God forbid if we have a back-up who wants to start, or Lerner spends the bucks for depth.

I'm tired of hearing all these sissy excuses and ginger ways approaching building a freaking winner from the Cleveland franchises. It's pretty simple, you laugh when you receive a phone call from agents of limp wrists such as Ken Dorsey, and you stock-pile football players who can play then go out and acquire additional football players to take those guys jobs.

God forbid if we have a back-up who wants to start, or Lerner spends the bucks for depth.

I'm tired of hearing all these sissy excuses and ginger ways approaching building a freaking winner from the Cleveland franchises. It's pretty simple, you laugh when you receive a phone call from agents of limp wrists such as Ken Dorsey, and you stock-pile football players who can play then go out and acquire additional football players to take those guys jobs.

There is a saying that goes something like "If you have two starting QBs, you have no starting QB."

Putting aside the economics issues of tying up a huge chunk of change on little more than an insurance policy, you can't bench a guy who believes he should be starting and expect him not to make waves. These guys have egos that are just too big (part of what makes them decent QBs in the first place). QB is not like every other position. Your 3rd string RB gets a few plays every game, even when your starter is healthy. Same at virtually every other position. This keeps the backups and developing players happy - they get a chance every Sunday to make a play and earn more time. Holly and McDonald at CB are good examples of guys who shined in limited snaps and progressively earned more time. Same with Hall (7th rounder out of St. Augustine, for crying out loud!).

When your first string QB is healthy, your backup does diddly. The best the backup QB can do to earn time is:

1) pray for an injury

2) pray the starter falls flat on his face

3) undermine the starter to assist in #2

4) practice well in his miniscule snaps with the first teamers

Why the hell do you think virtually every team ships off the incumbent when they make a change in QBs? Stop treating QB like it is the same as every other position. There is a strong reason why 99% of backups in the league are either lower round draft picks, old vets, or failed starters from other organizations.

Guest ATENEARS

These two clowns checked their ego's at the door (or at least should have), when one slipped in the draft and had to be embarrassingly coddled out of the limelight and into a back room on draft day, and the other was picked out from under a banana peel and old newspaper in the waiver scrap heap.

If we don't have a Head Coach and GM that can check these two piddly ego's, then we need to begin the search all over again.

WTF are we gonna do if ever assemble a real team? Freaking-A, pee is dripping from not only the Team Presidents pant leg, but trickling down into the fans sneakers now too.

You have to commit to a QB and I think the Browns have committed to Quinn. DA doesn't fit the scheme that this team will be running on offense. He should be traded for a veteran that can run the WCO but one fact remains. He will be expensive to keep as a backup and also expensive to trade also.

When you trade him after putting up $5 million in a bonus and then you have to go out and pay for a veteran backup and also look at bringing in a young rookie that can be mentored and brought along you got a hunk of money tied up in this position.

So, even though Anderson isn't a good fit, you are paying him, so you can't just dump him for nothing.

Bottom line is that when camp starts Anderson will still be here.

BTW, count the Bears as a team willing to trade for him after we pay his bonus. They are looking for a veteran to come in and compete and have talked to the Browns. San Fran has also had preliminary talks with the Browns, but this may not shake out until draft day.

I understand the need for depth and having two very capable QB's, at the end of last year "Let it be known I beat quinn in college" and the like I can't see DA taking a benching like a man, he'll piss and moan about it and cause a distraction as we know there are still players loyal to DA. you can't have that shit going on in the locker room man. I know you got DA man love and all, but I just don't see this working out with him anymore. Time to move on, the kid needs a new venue.
c'mon inspecta..if he didn't have a similar injury in that bowl as he did right before that "interview" he never would've made that dig at Quinn. he was pretty damn frustrated that day. (>>crackhead reporter remarks)

"but considering DA's statements"

"and the like"--show me all these other times he lost his poise.

Stan,

Other than Arizona though, can you name me one other team where a situation like that exists? And NE doesn't count. Cassel wasn't at all regarded highly before he took over this season.

But let's look.

Who backs up Flacco? Who backs up Ryan?

Most teams COMMIT to one QB and try to have a back up there who can just "manage' the game. It's simple economics. If Quinn is Mangini's guy, then you shop DA, and heck if DA is Mangini's guy, then IMO he should shop Quinn.

Green Bay just turned it over to theirs, NE had 2 but we never knew it...it happens all over, you just have to look for it. Left coulda started for Pittsburgh. They weren't going to allow an injury at QB derail their season, and rightly so-look where it got them. without Left the Steelers mighta lost that playoff game.

teams with mediocre #2's had their seasons completely tank when their starter fell, not hold it down until they returned. this ain't the 90's, you need better than "adequate" at the #2 QB position now, regardless of the cost.

in the future you will see the NFL adjust cap rules to allow for this--the game is simply too fast and physical now.

time will destroy teams who attempt to pilot 800 million dollar corporations relying on single player depth.

[a viable QB at back-up is] little more than an insurance policy.........
this is exactly why our role is to kill time on boards speculating . experts with a lifetime of experience coaching still get fired every year, and we think we know, myself included. B)

Archived