Sign in to follow this  
Clevfan4life

with two of the best 4-3 DE's in football available in FA this year..

Should we go back to the 4-3? I'd think we could easily get either Hardy or JPP..then we'd have a DE rotation of one of those guys, Kruger and the Bryant twins. If Sheard stays he'd put his natural weight back and you'd have him in the mix. I think if we did go to a 4-3 there's a better chance of keeping Sheard. We'd have among the best 4-3 line depth in the NFL. But there are interesting 3-4 olb'ers also coming out in free agency. We're probably not gonna get Houston unless we ridiculously overpaid him. But Orakpo, Worlilds and Abraham are both coming out. Orakpo keeps tearing his pec's so maybe not...but Worilds and Abraham are among the elite OLB'ers in the NFL. If we could land one of those guys maybe staying in the 3-4 is better. Given the opportunity to have anyone of those FA's what would you guys prefer we do? Stay in our scheme or put 4 guys down?

You know who our head coach is, right?

Zombo

i'm asking what guys on this board would prefer. I honestly don't know enough about Pettine to get a sense if he's locked into the 3-4 or not. From what I read before the season started they kind of played a weird hybrid in Buffalo when Pettine was there....he stood up Williams at 6'6 290. This past year didn't Williams have his best year ever? And they ran a pretty strict 4-3 didn't they? We need that BIlls fan in here to verify some things.

Should we go back to the 4-3? I'd think we could easily get either Hardy or JPP..then we'd have a DE rotation of one of those guys, Kruger and the Bryant twins. If Sheard stays he'd put his natural weight back and you'd have him in the mix. I think if we did go to a 4-3 there's a better chance of keeping Sheard. We'd have among the best 4-3 line depth in the NFL. But there are interesting 3-4 olb'ers also coming out in free agency. We're probably not gonna get Houston unless we ridiculously overpaid him. But Orakpo, Worlilds and Abraham are both coming out. Orakpo keeps tearing his pec's so maybe not...but Worilds and Abraham are among the elite OLB'ers in the NFL. If we could land one of those guys maybe staying in the 3-4 is better. Given the opportunity to have anyone of those FA's what would you guys prefer we do? Stay in our scheme or put 4 guys down?

I would hardly call Worilds and Abraham 'elite'. As for Desmond, he would go back to the same position he played in Oakland, a 2i DT.

I would hardly call Worilds and Abraham 'elite'. As for Desmond, he would go back to the same position he played in Oakland, a 2i DT.

i'd just seen a report on OLB'ers that had them in the top 6 I believe.

i myself think some of the players we have are better suited for the 4-3 BUT pettine and o'neill run the 3-4 so some of those guys unfortunately will get phased out of cleveland unless they can make the change to a new position. i think they'll draft and reseed until they're comfortable with the personnel they have.

I thought Pet ran a hybrid?

At any rate, I don't want a change now. I do not want to saw off a leg up on continuity, especially not for a pair of FA's.

Build upon what we have, the experience we gained and add pieces through draft and FA. For the former, I am warming to the idea of Shelton at #12.

i'm asking what guys on this board would prefer. I honestly don't know enough about Pettine to get a sense if he's locked into the 3-4 or not. From what I read before the season started they kind of played a weird hybrid in Buffalo when Pettine was there....he stood up Williams at 6'6 290. This past year didn't Williams have his best year ever? And they ran a pretty strict 4-3 didn't they? We need that BIlls fan in here to verify some things.

We know what kind of system Pet runs, and he was very happy with the way O'neil ran it. Yes, it's a hybrid, and no, we are not going to go out and sign two 4-3 DEs. Rubin will be replaced inside, Taylor and Bryant will be back, Bryant was coming on strong, and if we can get Taylor healthy, he will be terrific in this system. Kruger will be back, the question is whether we re-sign Sheard or get another hybrid guy who can play the edge.

I think we will address the DL in the draft seeing that rubin is gone and Taylor is under contract for just another year.

Zombo

I thought Pet ran a hybrid?

At any rate, I don't want a change now. I do not want to saw off a leg up on continuity, especially not for a pair of FA's.

Build upon what we have, the experience we gained and add pieces through draft and FA. For the former, I am warming to the idea of Shelton at #12.

I was as well, then I saw the bowl game. No thanks. Still want Malcolm Brown.

Stay with the 3-4 and maintain some stability, don't get too worked up over high priced free agents. I really liked Farmers comments about improving every position.

So you guys that want us to continue in the 3-4, who do you want to see us go after in FA? Houston is "likely" not gonna happen...but Orakpo, Worilds, Abraham?

You don't change your scheme b/c of who's available in free agency. That is ridiculous to even think about.

Our defense is pretty set at DE, ILB, and in the secondary (if we re-sign Gipson and Robertson)

What we need is at least 2 big inside NT-type players and some help with pass-rushing from the OLB spot. (Armonty Bryant will help when he's healthy)

I can only see a couple free agents available that could help: Dan Williams, Terrance Knighton, or maybe Pat Sims to play NT and Jerry Hughes, Brooks Reed, Akeem Ayers, Sam Acho or Pernell McPhee at OLB.

I would target 1-Williams and 2a-Hughes 2b-McPhee

Whether we sign somebody or not, I expect us to draft a NT and a pass-rushing OLB with 2 of our first 4 picks...

I like Worilds but elite? He hasnt proven to be elite yet. He dropped into coverage a lot this season so I'm sure that didn't help but he's not elite yet and no one has any idea if he ever will be elite.

Pick the guys who give you the best chance to win.

yep.

farmer proved last year that he doesn't follow conventional wisom, one way or the other.

We know what kind of system Pet runs, and he was very happy with the way O'neil ran it. Yes, it's a hybrid, and no, we are not going to go out and sign two 4-3 DEs. Rubin will be replaced inside, Taylor and Bryant will be back, Bryant was coming on strong, and if we can get Taylor healthy, he will be terrific in this system. Kruger will be back, the question is whether we re-sign Sheard or get another hybrid guy who can play the edge.

I think we will address the DL in the draft seeing that rubin is gone and Taylor is under contract for just another year.

Zombo

Agree.....like you said "who is our head coach"....a former Defensive coordinator. He will be pushing Farmer for more defensive help.