THE BROWNS BOARD

5 star recruit and #1 overall RB for 2016 commits to Ohio State

WalterWhite

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he has shitty character because he's breaking his commitment. It has nothing to do with whether he's going to michigan or whether he's leaving ohio state. I expect if you think it's not a concern you are the sort of person to whom commitments mean nothing. I don't really care about him at all to be honest. Before this thread came about I'd never even heard of him because I don't give a shit about high school level football. Also he's a running back, the most dime a dozen position in all of football. But the fact remains: he committed to a team when he saw them winning but as soon as the outlook didn't look as rosy any more he broke that commitment. That's weak character no matter how you try to spin it.

And again, you don't follow recruit. You don't understand the system. You don't understand why this is common. You don't understand that football programs and coaches break their "commitments" as well.

I suspect he understands the system as well as you do....which means: very little.

Are you talking about the recruit.....or Harbaugh?

Please explain to me when Harbaugh flip flopped?

Was it when he was at UF, got a headache and left (after creating a team of criminals and having his Jesus scapegoat leave), saying i was for health reasons and to spend time with his family, only to jump to OSU at the first opportunity?

You may not like Harbaugh. You may want to insult Michigan as much as possible. But there is absolutely no way you could call Harbaugh a flip flopper without calling Meyer something worse...

Pretty much...

If you commit, you're "committed" not just "at the moment I feel like playing at...Ohio State!"

It has happened both ways. Other Big Ten schools have given Urban Meyer shit because some of their recruits have decommitted and gone to Ohio State. It happens all the time.....and is probably far worse in the SEC (where large brown paper bags full of currency are much more often involved.....remember, Cam Newton decommitted from I think like Mississippi because his dad wanted $200,000, and MSU couldn't give him that....but Auburn could.)

I suspect he understands the system as well as you do....which means: very little.

You'd be wrong, but you're used to that.

The recruiting system is stacked against high school recruits. Programs have no reason to be loyal to them (see mainly SEC, OSU RB coach, etc). Recruits can use commitments as their own weapon. Top recruits are usually better off no committing early at all though. Unless they want to enroll early.

Recruits commit and decommit all of the time. All of this kids don't have character issues. As much as some on here clearly want to insult the guy that left OSU for Michigan, it just comes off as petty, childish and ignorant.

It has happened both ways. Other Big Ten schools have given Urban Meyer shit because some of their recruits have decommitted and gone to Ohio State. It happens all the time.....and is probably far worse in the SEC (where large brown paper bags full of currency are much more often involved.....remember, Cam Newton decommitted from I think like Mississippi because his dad wanted $200,000, and MSU couldn't give him that....but Auburn could.)

Right. Things change over the course of a year. Coaches come an go. Players get hurt. Playing time disappears or becomes available. A top recruit can wait to commit (and Walker probably should have. In my first post in this thread, I said we'll need to wait and see because signing day is a long time away). Something changed on Walker's end and OSU wasn't the best choice for him anymore.

A kid commits to Purdue because it is his best offer and he doesnt want to lose it. He then has a good Sr season, and OSU misses out on their top target. OSU then offers. Are you really going to attack his character for taking the OSU offer?

Until they sign the LOI, nothing is set.

So if a guy flips to OSU (which they probably have examples of in this very class, or will, but I don't know for sure), does he have bad character too?

Of course. JT Barrett got drunk and drove and then tried to get out of it by saying he was the qb at ohio state. That's a bit of bad character. Adolphus Washington picked up hookers. That's a bit of bad character. Very few of these guys have actual good character. Very few. You guys want so desperately for me to say it has to do with him leaving ohio state when honestly I don't give a shit where he plays. It just rubs me the wrong way when anybody decommits.

I don't know if he has....that is why I asked the question......you do recognize this symbol: ? ...as a question mark? Not much of a grammar program they have there at Meshugana is it? Can't recognize simple punctuation?

Was it when he was at UF,

I didn't know that Harbaugh went to Findlay. I thought he went to Western Michigan.

got a headache and left (after creating a team of criminals and having his Jesus scapegoat leave), saying i was for health reasons and to spend time with his family, only to jump to OSU at the first opportunity?

No, but I think he gave everyone at San Francisco an headache and they asked him to leave there.

(And FYI....if you are talking about Meyer......he did exactly what Harbaugh did.....he came home to coach, which is where he wanted to be....and yes....UM (ironic that those are his initials no?....did take that year off to be with his family....so he did exactly what he said he would do)

You may not like Harbaugh. You may want to insult Michigan as much as possible. But there is absolutely no way you could call Harbaugh a flip flopper without calling Meyer something worse...

Meyer took a year off from the stress.....spent the time with his family....just like he said he would. I don't ever recall that he claimed that he was permanently retired. Then his dream job came up....and after a down year he decided to pursue it. Its not like he jumped from the one job to the next....because that next job was not available for a year after he resigned from Florida.

Harbaugh on the other hand jumped ship from Stanford for what he thought was a better job with the 49ers. But after a couple/three years the 49ers tired of his act (so much so that they were willing to forego the fact that he was still considered a good football coach). They would have rather endured the shitty year they are having now than to have still had Harbaugh as their HC. And since he was unemployed, the opportunity to coach his alma mater came up and he took it.........we are just not certain to be honest that Harbaugh considers this to be his dream job.

So....Let's sum up:

Coach A: Resigns from a successful job to spend time with family. The school he left is sorry that he had to go. Indeed, spends a whole year with his family.....then his dream job comes up a year later and he gets it.

Coach B: Resigns from a successful job to take a lucrative position in the NFL. He has success in the NFL but the situation he creates there is so rancorous that they decide to essentially fire him. He leaves and jumps immediately into another high profile position at his alma mater.

You have no clue if I am right or I am wrong. Cysco may indeed know more about it than you do.

The recruiting system is stacked against high school recruits. Programs have no reason to be loyal to them (see mainly SEC, OSU RB coach, etc). Recruits can use commitments as their own weapon. Top recruits are usually better off no committing early at all though. Unless they want to enroll early.

Recruits commit and decommit all of the time. All of this kids don't have character issues. As much as some on here clearly want to insult the guy that left OSU for Michigan, it just comes off as petty, childish and ignorant.

So...in other words, he is acting just like you. As trust me, that is exactly how you are coming off....but perhaps that is your goal.

You have no clue if I am right or I am wrong. Cysco may indeed know more about it than you do.

So...in other words, he is acting just like you. As trust me, that is exactly how you are coming off....but perhaps that is your goal.

Cysko basically admitted he doesn't follow recruiting already

Of course I am...

I don't know if he has....that is why I asked the question......you do recognize this symbol: ? ...as a question mark? Not much of a grammar program they have there at Meshugana is it? Can't recognize simple punctuation?

Was it when he was at UF,

I didn't know that Harbaugh went to Findlay. I thought he went to Western Michigan.

got a headache and left (after creating a team of criminals and having his Jesus scapegoat leave), saying i was for health reasons and to spend time with his family, only to jump to OSU at the first opportunity?

No, but I think he gave everyone at San Francisco an headache and they asked him to leave there.

(And FYI....if you are talking about Meyer......he did exactly what Harbaugh did.....he came home to coach, which is where he wanted to be....and yes....UM (ironic that those are his initials no?....did take that year off to be with his family....so he did exactly what he said he would do)

Meyer took a year off from the stress.....spent the time with his family....just like he said he would. I don't ever recall that he claimed that he was permanently retired. Then his dream job came up....and after a down year he decided to pursue it. Its not like he jumped from the one job to the next....because that next job was not available for a year after he resigned from Florida.

Harbaugh on the other hand jumped ship from Stanford for what he thought was a better job with the 49ers. But after a couple/three years the 49ers tired of his act (so much so that they were willing to forego the fact that he was still considered a good football coach). They would have rather endured the shitty year they are having now than to have still had Harbaugh as their HC. And since he was unemployed, the opportunity to coach his alma mater came up and he took it.........we are just not certain to be honest that Harbaugh considers this to be his dream job.

So....Let's sum up:

Coach A: Resigns from a successful job to spend time with family. The school he left is sorry that he had to go. Indeed, spends a whole year with his family.....then his dream job comes up a year later and he gets it.

Coach B: Resigns from a successful job to take a lucrative position in the NFL. He has success in the NFL but the situation he creates there is so rancorous that they decide to essentially fire him. He leaves and jumps immediately into another high profile position at his alma mater.

Right, you were just asking a question. It wasn't a shot at Harbaugh at all........... give me a break

Ask any UF fan about Meyer, they aren't very happy with him. He saw the writing on the wall and got out when he could. There were concerns about upcoming sanctions and he was losing the locker room. Hell, there was an actual murderer on the team.

Harbaugh built Stanford from where it was (at the time, nothing) into a team that his been competitive ever since. He wanted to coach in the NFL and had an offer. Look at where the 49ers are now? A lot of 49ers fans and media would tell you the 49ers office made the wrong decision. They were saying that after he was let go. He had plenty of NFL offers if he wanted to stay, but he decided to come back home, to Michigan.

Also, please explain how we know OSU is Meyer's dream job, but we don't know Michigan is Harbaugh's dream job.

Coach A, to add: Left a team that was losing its star QB. A large portion of the roster had some kind of criminal involvement. The locker room was in bad shape. Also left for health reasons but those health reasons apparently got better very quickly.

Coach B, to add: After essentially being let go everyone related to the 49ers thought it was a bad idea, except for the front office. It then very quickly turned out to be a bad idea. This coach had multiple opportunities to stay in the NFL but decided to go to Michigan.

Harbaugh had no reason to stay out of coaching for a year. You're say that like its a bad thing. Meyer had no choice but to sit out. He couldn't like THAT big of a dick.

Anyway, no matter how much of an asshole you wanted to act like at the beginning of your post, you were clearly trying to insinuate that Harbaugh flip flopped. Same shit we heard about a year ago. There is really no way you can make those claims while not also insulting Meyer. That's it.

Right, you were just asking a question. It wasn't a shot at Harbaugh at all........... give me a break

I give you breaks more than you know. I really take it easier on you than I should.

Ask any UF fan about Meyer, they aren't very happy with him.

Sure....because he was a great coach that retired.

He saw the writing on the wall and got out when he could. There were concerns about upcoming sanctions and he was losing the locker room. Hell, there was an actual murderer on the team.

None of that would have mattered. (and what "sanctions" did Fla. suffer? I heard of no sanctions). Meyer would have probably simply gone on to win more national titles there had he stayed.

Harbaugh built Stanford from where it was (at the time, nothing) into a team that his been competitive ever since.

Stanford has had a good history in football. You would have no clue apparently as you were not around. Ever hear of Jim Plunkett and John Elway....that team did fine before Harbaugh got there....and is doing fine without him. Did they have a few down years? Sure. Stanford's academic requirements are too stringent for it to have constant success.

The program is no worse off now without him, last time I looked.

He wanted to coach in the NFL and had an offer. Look at where the 49ers are now?

They are in a mess of Harbaugh's creation? That seems to be the case.

A lot of 49ers fans and media would tell you the 49ers office made the wrong decision. They were saying that after he was let go. He had plenty of NFL offers if he wanted to stay,

That is a theory....by Harbaugh supporters (but, honestly, yes, I would have taken him for the Browns over the mess we have now)

but he decided to come back home, to Michigan.

Also, please explain how we know OSU is Meyer's dream job, but we don't know Michigan is Harbaugh's dream job.

I don't know if it is or it isn't. Have you ever heard him say that? We have heard that said about Meyer.

And you talk about Harbaugh turning down Pro jobs. Maybe his dream job is still in the Pros.

Hell.....it would not surprise me to see him go to the Lions. They could probably use his help more than Michigan could.

Coach A, to add: Left a team that was losing its star QB. A large portion of the roster had some kind of criminal involvement. The locker room was in bad shape. Also left for health reasons but those health reasons apparently got better very quickly.

Coach B, to add: After essentially being let go everyone related to the 49ers thought it was a bad idea, except for the front office. It then very quickly turned out to be a bad idea. This coach had multiple opportunities to stay in the NFL but decided to go to Michigan.

Harbaugh had no reason to stay out of coaching for a year. You're say that like its a bad thing. Meyer had no choice but to sit out. He couldn't like THAT big of a dick.

I didn't say it was a bad thing....I don't think it was. I just point out that he has jumped more ships now than Harbaugh....and I would not be surprised if he did it again soon. Though I doubt the Michigan will fire him the way the 49ers did.

And What do you mean Meyer had no choice? I suspect he could have gone right back in to coach. Unlike Harbaugh, he didn't get the itch to go to the pros....and he didn't get fired. He could have stayed right where he was. He chose to retire from that job and spend time away from coaching. Why is THAT a bad thing?

Anyway, no matter how much of an asshole you wanted to act like at the beginning of your post, you were clearly trying to insinuate that Harbaugh flip flopped. Same shit we heard about a year ago. There is really no way you can make those claims while not also insulting Meyer. That's it.

You are right.....Harbaugh did not Flip flop.....he got fired. Meyer never got fired.

And I think if Harbaugh is a flipflopper, his biggest flipflop will be yet to come....when he gets the itch to go back to the pros again. Maybe the Browns will show interest in him again if they fire Pettine and he can come here and be coach.

Whatever Harbaugh is...or isn't.....I still think he can be a good coach.

Urban Meyer is a snake oil salesman but he is the correct coach at Ohio State so he's pretty much Jesus incarnate in here. Couldn't hack it at Florida so he left for an easier path.

Yeah I'm going to disagree with the second half of this statement as well. He was pretty damn successful at UF. The only knock would be that he didn't create a sustainable environment. But even then, when he was there, he had on the field results.

I give you breaks more than you know. I really take it easier on you than I should.

Ask any UF fan about Meyer, they aren't very happy with him.

Sure....because he was a great coach that retired.

He saw the writing on the wall and got out when he could. There were concerns about upcoming sanctions and he was losing the locker room. Hell, there was an actual murderer on the team.

None of that would have mattered. (and what "sanctions" did Fla. suffer? I heard of no sanctions). Meyer would have probably simply gone on to win more national titles there had he stayed.

Harbaugh built Stanford from where it was (at the time, nothing) into a team that his been competitive ever since.

Stanford has had a good history in football. You would have no clue apparently as you were not around. Ever hear of Jim Plunkett and John Elway....that team did fine before Harbaugh got there....and is doing fine without him. Did they have a few down years? Sure. Stanford's academic requirements are too stringent for it to have constant success.

The program is no worse off now without him, last time I looked.

He wanted to coach in the NFL and had an offer. Look at where the 49ers are now?

They are in a mess of Harbaugh's creation? That seems to be the case.

A lot of 49ers fans and media would tell you the 49ers office made the wrong decision. They were saying that after he was let go. He had plenty of NFL offers if he wanted to stay,

That is a theory....by Harbaugh supporters (but, honestly, yes, I would have taken him for the Browns over the mess we have now)

but he decided to come back home, to Michigan.

I don't know if it is or it isn't. Have you ever heard him say that? We have heard that said about Meyer.

And you talk about Harbaugh turning down Pro jobs. Maybe his dream job is still in the Pros.

Hell.....it would not surprise me to see him go to the Lions. They could probably use his help more than Michigan could.

I didn't say it was a bad thing....I don't think it was. I just point out that he has jumped more ships now than Harbaugh....and I would not be surprised if he did it again soon. Though I doubt the Michigan will fire him the way the 49ers did.

And What do you mean Meyer had no choice? I suspect he could have gone right back in to coach. Unlike Harbaugh, he didn't get the itch to go to the pros....and he didn't get fired. He could have stayed right where he was. He chose to retire from that job and spend time away from coaching. Why is THAT a bad thing?

You are right.....Harbaugh did not Flip flop.....he got fired. Meyer never got fired.

And I think if Harbaugh is a flipflopper, his biggest flipflop will be yet to come....when he gets the itch to go back to the pros again. Maybe the Browns will show interest in him again if they fire Pettine and he can come here and be coach.

Whatever Harbaugh is...or isn't.....I still think he can be a good coach.

Yeah I really doubt that first line. If you are taking it easy, then please start trying. We don't need more "Miami OH is as good of a school as Michigan" moments.

I'm sure they weren't happy losing the on the field success, but the state he left the program in wasn't the greatest.

I said concerns about sanctions. Read up on the state of the program near the end of his time there. It was a mess.

Really? Really? You think going back to Elway makes any difference?

In the decade before Harbaugh got to Stanford, they had 2 winning seasons. In the 5 years before he got there they had 0. A 14-31 record in those 5 years, 1-11 the year before he took over. None of that says Stanford was doing "fine". By his 4th season Harbaugh got Stanford to 12-1, the most wins they had in school history. He took a program that was trash, built them into contenders, and laid a framework for continued success.

Go look at the actual recent history of Stanford football. Look at the actual numbers. Don't do the typical old man Gipper "anecdotal evidence is all I need" reasoning. I realize your just taking blind swings to try to attach Harbaugh but come man, at least try to make sense.

Let's look at the 49ers. In the 8 years before Harbaugh gets there they have one 8-8 season. Nothing better. A 46-82 record. He takes them to 3 straight conference championship games and a super bowl. In his 4th year the front office starts getting antsy. The front office makes what is almost considered a universally bad move and gets rid of Harbuagh, they hire the DL coach as HC, and the team goes to hell.

An NFL team isn't a college team. You aren't really "building a program" as a result of all of the constant moving parts (unless you're the Patriots). Quotes from 49ers players show he was well liked. The front office there made a terrible decision and it blew up in their faces.

That's not a theory by NFL supporters, that was information thrown around during the search for his next job. It has nothing to do with being a Harbuagh supporter. It is well known a handful of teams really wanted him (Raiders), and it was assumed a few more did as well. It is a very reasonable statement to say that if he wanted to be in the NFL, he would be.

"It's a decision I basically made without a list, without a pros and cons approach, something that I've dreamed about -- felt it was time to live" - Jim Harbaugh on taking the Michigan job.

When asked if it was his 'dream job', "That's a catch-phrase. It doesn't resonate with me. People use it a lot. It's cliche."

I am going to guess that since Harbaugh was hire and has been at Michigan I've read more articles about him and the school than you have. I can guarantee you Harbaugh is fully immersed in Michigan. This is where he grew up. This is where he played. This is his home. If you want to compare him to Meyer saying OSU is his "dream job" and act like that makes Meyer better some how go ahead. Don't forget Meyer has also called Notre Dame is dream job...

You can say Harbaugh got fired to imply he did something wrong if you'd like, that doesn't make it true. The front office and him didn't get along, and they decided to go another direction... a bad direction. I have no doubt that Harbaugh is a hardass, but I'd take that "negative" over Meyer's... easily.

So you think it would have been fine for Meyer to go immediately back to coaching? He creates a team full of guys that got in trouble with the law and loses the locker room. He then has health issues or wants to spend time with his family, whichever sounds better. Then just months later he's back coaching at another school? Come on. Don't you see how bad that would have made him look?

On the surface, leaving a job to spend time with your family is not a bad thing. I never said it was. But it is kind of hard to see his motivations as completely pure.

There you go with the fired thing again. Leaving a team because you clash with the front office vs leaving a team because of the environment you created, I mean health problems. If that makes you feel like you're taking points from Harbaugh, go for it.

I wouldn't count on him to replace Pettine. I would bet a large sum of money he isn't going anywhere soon. Again, based on what I read that I am going to guess you don't. At the very least, he isn't going to leave before the job is done. He is way too competitive for that.

You "still think he can be a good coach"? What? He's been an excellent coach for a long time, where have you been?

Woody know one gives two fucks about harbaur. He's a fucking goofy fuck. And it appears for the record that this thread was dead, until you decided to bring up this dipshit flipflopping rb. You know how you cry and complain that you never bring up michigan. You only defend their shitty Nobel honor.

Apparently you aren't familiar with recruiting

After reading the following pages since this post it seems you are very familiar with recruiting so please, tell us, what school(s) and for what sport(s) were you recruited? And before you all snarky and ask. I received my first letter of interest from Ohio State my sophomore yr of HS in May of 73.. I was 15, and ready to commit to Marty's program..

Cysko, quit bashing this kid for de committing.. Having witnessed the process both first and second hand, I actually applaud the young man for having the stones to change his commitment knowing full well the grief he'd get from homers like you that don't know anything about his particular situation.. Kids change their commitments all the time.. It's not like he went down the isle with Urban, laid hands upon Bible and swore "till death do us part"... Then again, Urban has made a career out of changing his commitments so.....

Archived