THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Focusing on Interviews

WPB Dawg Fan

The Browns are focusing more on the interviews than anything else at the combines. They think that by matching a 'love for the game' with 'on-field production' they will find the kind of players they want. They will also be putting a lot of emphasis on the medical exams.

Here is the link:

Inteviews the Key?

What it sounds like to me is they are looking for players that will fit the "Patriot Way". Players willing to do whatever it takes for the 'team' to look and play good. I think a lot of the 'me' players are going to talk their way out of the #5 selection.

It also tells me a lot of the 'injury' players may not have a chance here.

The Browns are focusing more on the interviews than anything else at the combines. They think that by matching a 'love for the game' with 'on-field production' they will find the kind of players they want. They will also be putting a lot of emphasis on the medical exams.

Here is the link:

Inteviews the Key?

What it sounds like to me is they are looking for players that will fit the "Patriot Way". Players willing to do whatever it takes for the 'team' to look and play good. I think a lot of the 'me' players are going to talk their way out of the #5 selection.

It also tells me a lot of the 'injury' players may not have a chance here.

Thats what it sounds like to me too.

I like the idea of tough,intelligent players that will do what it takes as a team to win..

And the "me" players in the draft wont get picked and the "me" players already on our roster arent gonna make it and i think we can all name at least 3 me's...;)

I've always agreed with this approach. The right mentality and character can make up for lacking physical ability, but physical freak status will not make up for character issues or lack of drive.

AMEN!...Intelligence, Intensity, & Integrity!....The "I's" have it! There are a ton of strong athletes out there, but do they have the intangibles?....Whoa....ANOTHER "I"!!! :)

Mike

After the 2007 combine, someone asked Justin Blalock which team interview stood out to him the most and his answer was the Jets. He said upon entering the interview room, he was introduced to about 20 people and sat down for the interview. The first question Mangini asked him was "can you recite everone's name here?". Not surprisingly, this question took Blalock by surprise and according to him, he did pretty well (even though the Jets ended up not drafting him). Mangini will weed out and select for those who are serious about football. On the flip side, those players may or may not always have physical talent to cut it in the NFL (i.e. Anthony Schlegel picked on 3rd round).

Edit:

I tried to find the link to this story and it was actually an interivew on Sirius radio show. Plus, I was completely off on the number of coaches; it was 6, not 20 (doh!).

Archived