THE BROWNS BOARD

DA-to-Tampa Combine Talk

onefellswoop7

Derek Anderson-QB-Browns Feb. 19 - 12:34 pm et

Rumors of a Derek Anderson-to-Tampa trade are reportedly "gaining steam" at the Combine and "word is" Cleveland would take a third-round pick for him.

The Bucs in no way promised Luke McCown a starting job and ideally will add competition. A change of scenery also couldn't hurt Anderson. D.A. could go directly on the trade block after his guaranteed $5M roster bonus is paid on March 15. He can't be traded before then barring a redone contract.

Source: Tampa Tribune

Related: Buccaneers

Link

Interesting...

I'm still hoping for more than a third round pick but what can ya do?

Derek Anderson-QB-Browns Feb. 19 - 12:34 pm et

Rumors of a Derek Anderson-to-Tampa trade are reportedly "gaining steam" at the Combine and "word is" Cleveland would take a third-round pick for him.

The Bucs in no way promised Luke McCown a starting job and ideally will add competition. A change of scenery also couldn't hurt Anderson. D.A. could go directly on the trade block after his guaranteed $5M roster bonus is paid on March 15. He can't be traded before then barring a redone contract.

Source: Tampa Tribune

Related: Buccaneers

Link

Interesting...

this would be a joke. only a third rounder for him. they have more they can offer

another team picking up his bonus shouldn't be a possibility. the 5 mil we would save if another team did pay it probably wouldn't even go towards signing anybody anyway. we would be much better off paying him the 5 mil which would allow his stock to go up. he is worth more if we pay it.

another team picking up his bonus shouldn't be a possibility. the 5 mil we would save if another team did pay it probably wouldn't even go towards signing anybody anyway. we would be much better off paying him the 5 mil which would allow his stock to go up. he is worth more if we pay it.

spot on.

Seems like when we want to sell everyone wants us cheap and when we want to buy every player is so dang expensive !

I have always felt we would have to pay the bonus. It just didn't make any sense someone else would.

Tampa holds the 19th pick, so I guess that projects to pick 57 in the 3rd....maybe add a few comp picks so it will proabably be around pick 61 or so.

Using the GBN prospect list, and bracketing 5 picks either side, here is a listing of players who might be around in that slot:

# Robert Ayers DE 6-3, 270 Tennessee

# Patrick Chung FS 6-0, 210 Oregon

# Terrence Taylor DT 6-1, 310 Michigan

# Coye Francies CB 6-1, 185 San Jose State

# Victor Harris CB 5-11, 192 Virginia Tech

# Jamon Meredith OT 6-5, 310 South Carolina

# *Jared Cook TE 6-5, 242 South Carolina

# Derrick Williams WR 6-0, 195 Penn State

# Alex Magee DT 6-3, 295 Purdue

# Darry Beckwith LB 6-0, 230 LSU (X)

# Will Moore FS 6-0, 230 Missouri (X)

I have always felt we would have to pay the bonus. It just didn't make any sense someone else would.

Tampa holds the 19th pick, so I guess that projects to pick 57 in the 3rd....maybe add a few comp picks so it will proabably be around pick 61 or so.

Using the GBN prospect list, and bracketing 5 picks either side, here is a listing of players who might be around in that slot:

# Robert Ayers DE 6-3, 270 Tennessee

# Patrick Chung FS 6-0, 210 Oregon

# Terrence Taylor DT 6-1, 310 Michigan

# Coye Francies CB 6-1, 185 San Jose State

# Victor Harris CB 5-11, 192 Virginia Tech

# Jamon Meredith OT 6-5, 310 South Carolina

# *Jared Cook TE 6-5, 242 South Carolina

# Derrick Williams WR 6-0, 195 Penn State

# Alex Magee DT 6-3, 295 Purdue

# Darry Beckwith LB 6-0, 230 LSU (X)

# Will Moore FS 6-0, 230 Missouri (X)

Their 3rd round pick is 83. Their 2nd round pick is 51.

I wouldn't go 83rd for DA unless they threw in a player or another pick.

If I have to pay his bonus then I want a 2nd. You pay his $5 million and then have to go out and pay around 2 million for a decent backup.

Wouldn't drop to bottom of the 3rd and still pay the money.....................screw that.

D.A. could go directly on the trade block after his guaranteed $5M roster bonus is paid on March 15. He can't be traded before then barring a redone contract.

Interesting. Am I reading that correctly?

Theoretically, DA could negotiate a new deal with a team, get a $5m (or more) signing bonus, thus allowing his new club to spread the $5m (or more) over the length of the contract while DA still gets his $5m (or more) right now...

Wishful thinking?

-Al

Here is a blurb from GM Mark Dominick (TB) at the combine:

Signing a veteran quarterback to compete with the recently re-signed Luke McCown is also said to be on Dominik’s free-agent wish list.

“We’ll take another quarterback to camp at least,” Dominik said. “I see us with at least four quarterbacks and we have three under contract right now. We’re certainly still looking, but we’re willing to look at every level. It could be college, it could be a veteran that’s going to be unrestricted, it could be someone that you could acquire (in a trade). I don’t feel like we have to be typecast.”

Archived