THE BROWNS BOARD

Sandra Bullock = franchise left tackle

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Well, not exactly:

Bullock Joins Football Dramedy "Blindside"

Sandra Bullock will star in the sports dramedy "The Blindside" for Alcon Entertainment reports the trades.

Based on the best-selling novel by Michael Lewis, it tells the true story of football player Michael Oher, a homeless black teen taken in by a well-to-do white family that saw extraordinary promise in him. Oher is one of the first players selected in this year's NFL draft.

Bullock will play Leigh Anne Touhy, the affluent matriarch of the conservative suburban household that takes in Oher.

John Lee Hancock ("The Rookie") wrote the adaptation and is directing. Gil Netter, Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove will produce.

I wonder what happens if they shoot this movie & Oher busts. Or what happens if he gets into legal trouble?

It's certainly a compelling story, but it's also one that may not have a storybook Hollywood ending.

Guest Aloysius

If I'm not mistaken, Oher was arrested his freshman year for a beating up a student who made a suggestive comment about his adoptive mother (the person Sandra Bullock's playing). During the melee, a toddler was knocked down and had to be taken to the hospital.

That's part of the reason why people are concerned about Oher.

If I'm not mistaken, Oher was arrested his freshman year for a beating up a student who made a suggestive comment about his adoptive mother (the person Sandra Bullock's playing). During the melee, a toddler was knocked down and had to be taken to the hospital.

That's part of the reason why people are concerned about Oher.

The incident in question actually had something to do with his adoptive sister (a fellow Ole Miss student). It's the kind of thing that 19 year old boys fight about. But, when you get 600 lbs. of student athletes fighting inside, there's going to be some collateral damage. There's really nothing about his record that would indicate that Oher would be a character risk.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the opposite is true. He's far less likely than many of his draft classmates to be adversely affected by his new found wealth. He's been a part of an exceptionally wealthy family for many years now. While that's no guarantee, it does work in his favor when it comes to making the transition into the world of privilege that is the NFL.

-jj

Guest Aloysius
The incident in question actually had something to do with his adoptive sister (a fellow Ole Miss student).

You're right; I confused them because Michael Lewis repeatedly mentions in the book how fetching he finds Leigh Anne Tuohy.

He's far less likely than many of his draft classmates to be adversely affected by his new found wealth. He's been a part of an exceptionally wealthy family for many years now. While that's no guarantee, it does work in his favor when it comes to making the transition into the world of privilege that is the NFL.

Could be. On the other hand, you're talking about a guy who's had a lot of tutoring and special parenting these past couple years. Considering what he went through, he absolutely deserved to get that help. But once he gets to the NFL, he's not going to have the same type of support system surrounding him constantly.

I'm not saying he's Pacman Jones. If anything, it's more of a Rey Maualuga thing: you wonder if he'll be naive and end up taking advice from the wrong people.

Archived