THE BROWNS BOARD

New OC again!

b86b

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reviewing this, I'm for Callahan or Trestman...with Cavanaugh an option too.

Keeping in mind that Marc Trestman will probably want Bernie Kosar to have a role with the team. Assuming he's not popular amongst the Cleveland Browns brass that could well be a sticking point. Plus his blindly loyal fanbase will probably have trouble keeping their expectations of him realistic.

WSS

i don't know what kind of blind loyalty fanbase there is.....

i just think trestman and cavanaugh don't mind the cold. what other coach on the list wouldn't take sunny california over blustery and bitter cleveland? that's right.

AND if you think trestman would have that kind of pull to get bernie inside the browns org. then i think the browns are giving way too much respect and power to an OC, which they won't.

i just think trestman and cavanaugh don't mind the cold. what other coach on the list wouldn't take sunny california over blustery and bitter cleveland? that's right.

AND if you think trestman would have that kind of pull to get bernie inside the browns org. then i think the browns are giving way too much respect and power to an OC, which they won't.

Well I'd say that any professional who would give up what he believed was a job the better chance to be successful for where he can lay on the fucking beach is a moron.

Also I would expect that the second or third most important coach in the chain would have at least a little pull as to who he might want. If not they have absolutely no respect for him and might as well hire a high school coach.

Ya think?

WSS

Well I'd say that any professional who would give up what he believed was a job the better chance to be successful for where he can lay on the fucking beach is a moron.

Also I would expect that the second or third most important coach in the chain would have at least a little pull as to who he might want. If not they have absolutely no respect for him and might as well hire a high school coach.

Ya think?

WSS

but what would bernie bring to a sideline? absolutely nothing and trestman knows that. as far as pull getting him a gig inside the org.? i doubt the browns brass would let that happen and it would probably be let known from the start.

an OC job for the raiders or the niners is hardly a step down from an OC for the browns. same job, different geography.

Of the nine OC Candidates, Which one's game style will tell us Hoyer, Manziel or Shaw?? God knows we need a consistent Starting QB.. Please upgrade from Winnie Shanny. Trestman or Callahan my guess, found it interesting Oregon's OC name out there, don't know if it works in NFL but it would tell me that it's Johnny Time uurrrggg...

Of the nine OC Candidates, Which one's game style will tell us Hoyer, Manziel or Shaw?? God knows we need a consistent Starting QB.. Please upgrade from Winnie Shanny. Trestman or Callahan my guess, found it interesting Oregon's OC name out there, don't know if it works in NFL but it would tell me that it's Johnny Time uurrrggg...

Depends on how the actual football professionals look at the situation rather than the fans, and Mary Kay Cabot.

WSS

I never expected Shannahan to stay all that long with Cleveland but the way he left is troubling. My concern is he left because he saw the Browns hitching their wagon to "Johnny Football" and wanted no part of the coming disaster and got out of town as soon as possible. Manziel should have never started a game the past season due to his lack of effort. Fans like me wanted to see him get in when Hoyer was struggling thinking how could he do any worse and maybe he could spark the offense. He proved he could do worse and the coaches who saw him in practice who knew he was not ready should have stuck to their guns and not started him. For whatever reason the Browns laid a huge egg in Cleveland (in one of the most important games of the season) when Manziel started against the Bengals and I have to wonder if they came out flat because they did not agree with the decision to start Manziel? If the coaches genuinely believe Manziel has the potential fine but if they don't see it they need to cut their losses and move on. The sooner the better. Why keep throwing good money out for bad?

We'll probably end up with whomever doesn't get selected by someone else. People still don't want to come to Cleveland due to the job insecurity.

And now Manziel, who presumably is a magnet and will according be either a huge pull or a huge deterrent to new OCs.

Keeping in mind that Marc Trestman will probably want Bernie Kosar to have a role with the team....... that could well be a sticking point.

He might want him....might not. Though I doubt it would be a sticking point, because I cant see Trestman NOT taking the job because he cant have Bernie....That would be insane.....

After all, he's been a coach for the past 20+ years and hasn't wanted to hire Bernie yet....

Cold weather coaches??......Now THATS a new one!....;)

Also I would expect that the second or third most important coach in the chain would have at least a little pull as to who he might want.

I would expect the same(a little pull)..... but also think if the organization was completely against someone, for any reason, then the "little" part would win out......

but what would bernie bring to a sideline?

A flask?

You are probably correct on both counts. It would depend how badly he wanted Bernie Kosar by his side which there's not much evidence of. And yes he'd be a dumbass to turn down a job that he wanted because he couldn't bring the town drunk along with him.

I might also guess if the Browns really really wanted him and he asked them to make Bernie his administrative assistant or something they might probably say sure, why not? Like the pledge selection in Animal House. "who cares? We need the dues."

WSS

AP source: Browns interview ex-Bears coach Trestman for OC

TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer

CLEVELAND (AP) — A person familiar with the process says the Cleveland Browns have interviewed former Bears coach Marc Trestman for their open offensive coordinator position.

The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the team is not commenting during its search to replace Kyle Shanahan, said Trestman interviewed with Cleveland on Wednesday.

Trestman was fired after the bears finished 5-11 and missed the playoffs for the seventh time in eight seasons. Chicago also fired general manager Phil Emery.

The person says Browns tight ends coach Brian Angelichio is also a candidate for offensive coordinator, while team officials are also scheduled to interview Jets running back coach Anthony Lynn and Oakland Raiders quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo.

Improving on offense is a top priority for the Browns, which finished 7-9 under coach Mike Pettine and missed the playoffs after losing their last five games.

Just heard Callahan is going to Washington and Linehan is staying in Dallas....so take Callahan off the list....

Yup... and never really thought Linehan would be available.

C'mon Cavanaugh...

Archived