THE BROWNS BOARD

Brad Smith

Guest mz.

I think Clowney will be a big-time player and WR Brad Smith, who took Clowney's roster spot last season, will end up in Cleveland with Eric Mangini, who absolutely loves Smith. Smith made a difficult transition from college quarterback to NFL wide receiver and has shown flashes, but I'd rather have a legit game-breaker like Clowney.

via here.

Guest Aloysius

Smith also gives you WildDawg ability.

During the FO tumult, someone leaked that we didn't use Cribbs more at QB because he had trouble learning the plays. If that's true, we could use Smith instead & let Cribbs focus on WR or safety.

I like Hutch and his articles but what the hell is he smoking? To state that Smith, a 3rd receiver ever since his rookie season, took the roster spot of a player who was cut by the Packers and was a practice squad player for the Jets seems a bit off. I like Clowney and I hope he does become a good player but a "legit game breaker"? Based on two long bombs her caught in the preseason game, coincidentally, against the Browns? Clowney has burner speed but let's see him develop a little more before we induct him into Canton.

Regarding Smith, he's sorta of like Randle El project that never reached its full potential. Smith is fast but more importantly, is very elusive and hard to bring down. Plus, he's an exceptional gunner in the special teams. Given how much importance Mangini emphasizes in special teams, I wouldn't be surprised if Smith joins the Browns. IMHO, he can easily develop into a solid 2nd receiver and if he does, he would be a great asset for any team. I would hate to lose Smith to the Browns.

I like Smith, he's a home town boy from Youngstown, but he isn't half of what Cribbs is and he couldn't beat Cribbs out as a receiver either. He's a 4th receiver at best. A slot receiver because he doesn't have the great needed to stretch the field. He can run the ball, but so can Cribbs.

Please don't listen to people saying Cribbs couldn't remember the plays. That is just stupid. The guy played QB in college and didn't have any problem with the plays.

Don't expect to see Cribbs on the field much as a safety. He might get a shot in some cover 3 situations or dime packages. Please don't expect him to be starting as a DB.

Guest Aloysius
I like Smith, he's a home town boy from Youngstown, but he isn't half of what Cribbs is and he couldn't beat Cribbs out as a receiver either. He's a 4th receiver at best. A slot receiver because he doesn't have the great needed to stretch the field. He can run the ball, but so can Cribbs.

Not sure about that. Based on the little I've seen of him, I'd say that Smith is a better route runner and has softer hands than Cribbs. And while Smith may not play up to his 4.46 40 time, he's not exactly slow.

Cribbs may be the better gadget player, but Smith has a better chance at becoming a decent receiver.

I would have to agree. Not because of any direct knowledge about Smith but based on the fact Cribbs has been here 4 -5 years and hasn't really progressed beyond a kick returner .

For one reason or another he hasn't, leading me to believe he has a flaw in this game at the receiver spot.

Smith also gives you WildDawg ability.

During the FO tumult, someone leaked that we didn't use Cribbs more at QB because he had trouble learning the plays. If that's true, we could use Smith instead & let Cribbs focus on WR or safety.

I like adding Brad Smith, the more versatile we are, the better, and I think he can develop into a real good receiver.

I wouldn't put a lot of credence in that leak about Cribbs, though. The guy was 4-year starter at QB for a divison I school ... I think he can learn a few plays.

Zombo

Please don't listen to people saying Cribbs couldn't remember the plays. That is just stupid. The guy played QB in college and didn't have any problem with the plays.

Don't expect to see Cribbs on the field much as a safety. He might get a shot in some cover 3 situations or dime packages. Please don't expect him to be starting as a DB.

Because I don’t know or haven’t seen much of Cribbs (other than his returns on sportscenter highlights and that he and Smith are cut from the same cloth), I can’t say one way or the other on who will develop into a better receiver but I do know what the Jets have in Smith. He is a hardworking and selfless player with great athleticism and versatility. He has the “core values” that Mangini looks for in his players. He lacks short area quickness but is fast when he hits his stride. He was a raw player who made progress as a WR in his first year but regressed a bit during his second year with some dropped balls. However, towards the latter part of the 2007 season with L.Coles out, he competently filled in as a second receiver, catching most balls thrown his way.

Perhaps realizing his development into a WR was suffering b/c his efforts were spread too thin (he was partaking in both the WR and QB meetings and practices), the coaches focused more on his development as a WR. He seemed to have made dramatic improvements, especially catching the ball, as his route running was always solid (I guess his experience as a QB may have helped in that). However, his opportunities were limited in part, due to our TE driven offense this past year and the coaching’s insistence on using Smith only in gadget plays that not only have grown stale but predictable. If he can show consistency in holding onto the ball (he flashed numerous times with tough catches and one handed grabs), he will fill in nicely as a 2nd WR. OK, maybe not for Arizona or other teams with two top tier receivers.

I think Smith would end up more like he was in New York, which is a #4 or #5 WR option who excels on special teams. And that's fine. You need those guys.

I don't think we should expect him to be starting opposite Braylon. That would just mean we have nobody else.

As for putting him in the slot, that might work, but Chansi Stuckey clearly beat him out there in New York.

But I'm all for the signing. They don't all have to be blockbusters, and Smith has upside.

I'm still wondering where we'll end up using Cribbs most. We all want him to play ever position but he just can't. The more WR he plays the more he'll prob struggle with returns. Managini stated he'd like to see Cribbs at safety (for what that is worth). He needs a more specific role and I think WR is a place we can let fade away.

I'd love to sign a guy like Smith. He is just as good, if not better, than Cribbs as WR. A no nonsense guy who is also willing to do whatever the teams wants/needs. And cheap...

Archived