THE BROWNS BOARD

Question

The Gipper

Harbaugh is headed to Michigan. Curiosity compels me to ask this question.....kind of a trivia thing.

Has there ever been a coach that was a success in college with one school.....like Harbaugh was at Stanford, then went to the NFL and was successful there....and then went back to college to also be a success there again? Just curious.

A few names that could come to mind:

Saban.....successful in college at MSU, LSU, Alabama.....but really failed as an NFL coach in his one effort at Miami.

Spurrier.....more or less mimicked Saban.....good at two college spots....but lousy in the pros.

Pete Carroll.....was really opposite.....initially a failure in the pros, then went to be successful in college and then in the pros.

Dick Vermeil? Successful at UCLA, then at Philly then with the Rams after a long layoff.

Can you think of anyone who has done what Harbaugh is purporting to do?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another question: is a college head coaching gig as prestigious as an nfl one, or is harbaugh just admitting defeat by going back to school. Can't go home again, jim. Or maybe you can, who knows?

Admitting defeat? He had the highest winning percentage in the nfl when he left, top 5 all time. He was in 3 straight NFC championships, including a super bowl... what are you taking about?

If Harbaugh wanted to be in the NFL, he'd be in the NFL. He wanted to come home.

It's yet to be seen if something as simple as a coaching change will be enough to turn around Michigan's floundering football program

It's not "something as simple as a coaching change". Coaches are more important than the program in college. How good was Bama before Saban? How was that one year at OSU between Tressel and Meyer?

You act like the school and the program is up in flames, that's not correct at all. I've been over all of this before, but most on here refuse to listen. What was missing was a coach. Hoke was a great guy, but was in over his head. So we went out an got a coach, arguably the best coach.

MGoBlog - Coaches Who Went Back To School

http://mgoblog.com/content/haknpoints-coaches-who-went-back-school

I think the only one that might fit the bill is Robinson. Good at USC, good with the Rams, good at USC again.

Several on that list were mediocre at college....like Walsh...only 17-17.....Sherman only 25-25.

Admitting defeat? He had the highest winning percentage in the nfl when he left, top 5 all time. He was in 3 straight NFC championships, including a super bowl... what are you taking about?

If Harbaugh wanted to be in the NFL, he'd be in the NFL. He wanted to come home.

Lol ok. Pat shurmur could've coached that team to a Super Bowl WIN, not just one appearance with a loss. He bolted as soon as things got tough.

Lol ok. Pat shurmur could've coached that team to a Super Bowl WIN, not just one appearance with a loss. He bolted as soon as things got tough.

Uummm.... Look at 49ers before Harbaugh and after Harbaugh. I realize you're an OSU fan, and you're trying to discredit Michigan however you can, but don't be an idiot. He built that team up, it was not very good before then.

Uummm.... Look at 49ers before Harbaugh and after Harbaugh. I realize you're an OSU fan, and you're trying to discredit Michigan however you can, but don't be an idiot. He built that team up, it was not very good before then.

And it's not a very good team that he's leaving.

As soon as he figured out Colin Kap was extremely overrated and his team wasn't good anymore, he bolted

And it's not a very good team that he's leaving.

As soon as he figured out Colin Kap was extremely overrated and his team wasn't good anymore, he bolted

Uuhh, this is getting a little pathetic. Yes, that team that went 8-8 after going to three straight NFC title games isn't very good...

Look, this s already getting old. The "Harbaugh Sucks" angle. He bolted from the NFL because he couldn't handle it, there totally weren't a handful of NFL teams that would be happy to have him

Best of luck going forward. The Game will be very exciting going forward.

Lets just hope our terrible, NFL bolting coach is half as good as the great Urban Meyer...

Harbaugh the best coach? lol

What is his record again?

How many championships has he won at any level? How many Bowl Games with Andrew Luck?

A supposed QB guru who dumped Alex Smith in favor of Colin Kapernick lol

Ahhhh, the trolls. The OSU trolls.... Now you guys just sound worried. Knocking Harbaughs choice to dump Smith even though it led to him having the 5th highest winning percentage in the NFL all time.

Fuck it. Best of luck with your coach. I'm ecstatic about ours. Keep on trolling, it shows you're worried.

Ahhhh, the trolls. The OSU trolls.... Now you guys just sound worried. Knocking Harbaughs choice to dump Smith even though it led to him having the 5th highest winning percentage in the NFL all time.

Fuck it. Best of luck with your coach. I'm ecstatic about ours. Keep on trolling, it shows you're worried.

Where the fuck do you think you're posting? We're ohio, genius. We both hate Michigan and coaches called harbaugh. If you want someone to gargle Harbaughs nutsack with you I'm sure they'll do it on the Detroit Lions forum.

As I said, we could identify one or two coaches ever that went from a successful college coaching career to a successful NFL coaching career then back to a successful college coaching career. (and yes, Harbaugh has been a success at both his first college gig and his NFL gig). Can he be one of the few to go back and be successful again in college.....and by successful I mean conference championship level success.

The answer to me is: I suspect so. He has certainly proven to have coaching acumen. He will certainly have resources (read: money) at Michigan. Certainly he has gone to a school with tradition. If he fails, i.e. if his teams are only like .500 or slightly above and below....and if he regularly loses to OSU and MSU, then, I think, it would be a surprise.

Where the fuck do you think you're posting? We're ohio, genius. We both hate Michigan and coaches called harbaugh. If you want someone to gargle Harbaughs nutsack with you I'm sure they'll do it on the Detroit Lions forum.

You don't have to gargle anything. I just ask for common sense and a little less ridiculous bias

As I said, we could identify one or two coaches ever that went from a successful college coaching career to a successful NFL coaching career then back to a successful college coaching career. (and yes, Harbaugh has been a success at both his first college gig and his NFL gig). Can he be one of the few to go back and be successful again in college.....and by successful I mean conference championship level success.

The answer to me is: I suspect so. He has certainly proven to have coaching acumen. He will certainly have resources (read: money) at Michigan. Certainly he has gone to a school with tradition. If he fails, i.e. if his teams are only like .500 or slightly above and below....and if he regularly loses to OSU and MSU, then, I think, it would be a surprise.

Oh my god, thank you. This is coming from the guy who's anti Michigan bias is so strong, he thinks Akron has a better engineering school. If Gipper can type up a pretty much unbiased, though put comment, I would think the rest of you could too

Oh my god, thank you. This is coming from the guy who's anti Michigan bias is so strong, he thinks Akron has a better engineering school. If Gipper can type up a pretty much unbiased, though put comment, I would think the rest of you could too

Here's an unbiased comment. Michigan sucks, has sucked for a long time and harbaugh is not going to come in and instantly make them better than Ohio State. It's not like Ohio State's coach is just some jack-off. Jim Harbaugh mysteriously left San Francisco which is just inexplicable and I'm not impressed by him. But it will be nice to have some semblance of a rivalry back because Michigan has been stinky for a good long while.

You were saying earlier in this thread that Harbaugh quit and was admitting defeat... now he's leaving a team that's in contention each year? Which is it?

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Idk what you association with OSU is but you know nothing about Michigan. I'm sorry you can't comprehend why he left the NFL, I guess it is beyond you. Harbaugh came home. He loves this school and he wants to return them to greatness. He could have gone to a number of other NFL jobs if he wanted, whether they were open or not, and he chose Michigan. He came home.

Archived