THE BROWNS BOARD

A new approach

The Gipper

I think the Browns need to adopt a new approach, so here are some bits of philosophy I think they should take on:

1. Do NOT draft a QB in the first round unless we have like a Top 3 pick. Lower first round QB picks are almost universally disappointments.

2. Do draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round.....at least you have a chance to not waste a very important pick, and maybe you can get something. Sure the Charlie Frye's and Colt McCoys were 3rd rounders, but so was Russell Wilson and Joe Montana.

3. First round picks should be used to get players that will pound the other teams into submission.

Vince Lombardi said that the game is all about blocking and tackling. Take blockers or take tacklers. Get offensive linemen and Defensive linemen and Linebackers. And maybe some DBs.

4. Model your franchise after the beasts that have won Super Bowls in the past: like the Ravens in 2000 or the TB Bucs in 2002. Get the biggest baddest ass fucking defense you can get.

Then get a solid veteran QB to game manage your offense. Yes, a Trent Dilfer or a Brad Johnson or a Kurt Warner. (Unless you get that guy....that QB with picks 1, 2, or 3)

5. Use second/third round choices for WR/TEs. Tell me a Super Bowl team that was lead by a high first round WR?

6. The real bottom line is that we need to build this team on strength. On muscle. We will always have a chance to win if we can beat the other team into submission. Make that QB the final piece of the puzzle when everything else is in place.

Yes, this includes for next year for the Browns: Don't even draft a QB. Those 3 top 45 picks we have should be OL/DL/LBs.

We are fine at RB with West/Crowell....and maybe another UDFA or late round pick. While we need receivers, we can get them lower in the draft or in the FA market. Get a veteran backup QB. Yea, probably the best veteran backup QB available is Hoyer....but we will have to suffice with someone else.

When this team is an absolute killer with depth on defense and on the O-line, only then get that QB and WR.

Yes, the Steelers and Ravens right now are better than the Browns for 2 reasons: they have stayed healthier, and they have the QB. There is no way in the next 18 months we will be able to get anyone to match up with their QBs (unless God almighty himself comes down and lays hands on JFF....and he is not likeable enough for God to do that). So lets hammer these motherfucking slow ass white dudes into submission...with our defense, with our running game. Soften them up then clobber them.

If only you worked for the Browns. Who do you take in the first round? Shelton, Eddie Goldman? Also who is the better run defender for us and who is the best pass rusher we can get at our draft positions.

If only you worked for the Browns. Who do you take in the first round? Shelton, Eddie Goldman? Also who is the better run defender for us and who is the best pass rusher we can get at our draft positions.

I don't know about any of those names yet. I am sure there will a lot of scouting services out there that will give us some ideas.

Archived