THE BROWNS BOARD

# 12 and # 19

bermeck08

I do not understand the thinking of D-line over O-line....

Probably because our defense ranked dead last out of all teams this year in run defense, allowing an average of over 140 yards rushing per game. Or maybe the fact that the teams we play next year have some of the best running backs in the game, including Le'Veon Bell (twice), Marshawn Lynch, Jeremy Hill (twice), Jamaal Charles, Frank Gore, etc, that will fucking CRUCIFY us unless we get some serious additions to the D-Line. Take your pick.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the 12 amd 19 pick, the best thing to do for the draft would be have Pettine and farmer go to Johnny and say - what do you need in this draft to help you succeed? What players out there do you think your game would blend with best?

It's important that your pieces on offense for optimally

I think it's time for you to stop hittin' the blue there, Heisenberg, and come back to fucking reality.

For the 12 amd 19 pick, the best thing to do for the draft would be have Pettine and farmer go to Johnny and say - what do you need in this draft to help you succeed? What players out there do you think your game would blend with best?

Thats Hilarious, I gotta admit you have a great sense of humor. I about fell out of my chair on that 1.

For the Rose Bowl:

I've watched 80% of Oregon games over the past two years. Here is my watch list.

Arik Armstead DE, #9 - Huge and athletic. Is 6-8, 280 and uses it to eat up space. Great prospect to add to the Defensive line. He played great against Michigan State. After the playoffs and the combine, this guy will rise to a Top 20 Pick.

Byron Marshall WR/RB, #9 - Marshall has always impressed me because of his vision and burst, however, now he is showing his versatility. This year he moved to slot receiver/back and has flourished. I could see him going in the 4th like DeAnthony Thomas. While not as dynamic, Marshall has more polish.

Marcus Mariota - I know there is no chance we would get him on the Browns, however, some members need to watch him to realize that he is not a running quarterback. Also they will see that he progresses through his reads and has excellent pocket movement. So many people post responses incorrectly about Mariota.

Joe Walker ILB, #35 - Always around the ball. Walker is an excellent run stuffer with good size. The last linebacker I remember seeing pop up this much was Kiko Alonso. Walker isn't the athlete Alonso is, however he's a steady force and should make the NFL. Probably stays in school for next season, but should be a solid Day 3 pick.

All I'm saying is that if you spend a first round draft pick on your qb, it would make sense to then spend your next first round pick on a player that goes well with the style of your first round qb. This is common sense.

So far Johnny's style is to pee his pants on the field. We need the best O-line in football history.

What do people think about Danny Shelton? Sounds like just what the doctor ordered at NT for our defense: nine sacks, 88 tackles, 16.5 for a loss. At 339 pounds a good space eater/ run stuffer with pas rush ability.

is Phil gone next year?

Probably because our defense ranked dead last out of all teams this year in run defense, allowing an average of over 140 yards rushing per game. Or maybe the fact that the teams we play next year have some of the best running backs in the game, including Le'Veon Bell (twice), Marshawn Lynch, Jeremy Hill (twice), Jamaal Charles, Frank Gore, etc, that will fucking CRUCIFY us unless we get some serious additions to the D-Line. Take your pick.

Nothing you said was wrong, but I think that is "analysis light".

We started with a new scheme that we were told would take until at least game 6 to learn. Almost on schedule the D came together and then the injuries started and never stopped. Every D-line starter missed time as did most of our LB crew... some were hurt twice. We had to start names that were not even on our practice squad at the beginning of the season, just to have enough bodies.

Contrast the above accounting with an O-line that started off well, rapidly rose to acclaim and then was essentially undone by one player going down.

Like I said... it's hard for me to understand any case for our D-line needs outweighing our O-line.

All I'm saying is that if you spend a first round draft pick on your qb, it would make sense to then spend your next first round pick on a player that goes well with the style of your first round qb. This is common sense.

No. What you said was "ask Johnny"... and that is a whole other level of stupid. Which is hard to believe possible when you start with it's Johnny's job.

No. What you said was "ask Johnny"... and that is a whole other level of stupid. Which is hard to believe possible when you start with it's Johnny's job.

JF: "I'll take draft choices for $40 Alex"

Alex: "Andrus Peat"

JF: "Ah, who is the next QB savior in Cleveland?"

I get what you're saying but I'd only be on board with this if Johnny had gotten us to 9-7 or 8-8. That would have meant that he actually put the party cup down and learned how to be a NFL QB. He doesn't know enough about the NFL game to have a say about what pieces would suit him best. Hell he has yet to show that he even belongs on the field. Personally, I'd like him to go into hiding and study all off season then at OTA's, Mini Camp, and Camp be the first one there and the last one to leave. I think that he is largely out of his element because he kept himself out of his element. If he does all that and still doesn't cut the mustard then it's obvious it's a talent thing. If he doesn't and things remain the same then it's obvious that he couldn't care less. I'd be more comfortable asking Hoyer this than JM.

OL and DL in the first round, period. OT perhaps higher: Slot in the rookie at RT, move Schwartz to Greco's position or backup. Then a good DL. Second round: ILB. After that, BPA.

A FA to consider is Fairley, the Lions DT. Unrestricted off his rookie deal at the end of this year. Injured his knee week 8 so he's off the radar somewhat.

I'm starting to think that we might be picking too late in this draft. If we were in the top 8 there might be some impact players. But I'm starting to think we should maybe trade down and get ammo for the following year. We should really see if we could possibly make a run at Bosa.

He's probably going top 3 if not 1st overall. It would take a hell of a ransom.

Bosa won't be available to anyone in the draft. He is only a sophomore.

Bosa is damn good, but an overall #1 candidate? No...

And please stop with the Schwartz replacing Greco nonsense...

Like I said... it's hard for me to understand any case for our D-line needs outweighing our O-line.

For me it comes down to the total number of injuries. Our Dline was also under performing well before said injuries. More bodies that may or may never get back to 100% form and

stay that way. Plus, I don't see any center in this years draft being BPA @ 12 or 19. Dline on the other hand, I can see.

For me it comes down to the total number of injuries. Our Dline was also under performing well before said injuries. More bodies that may or may never get back to 100% form andstay that way. Plus, I don't see any center in this years draft being BPA @ 12 or 19. Dline on the other hand, I can see.

A top 20 Center has nothing to do with anything. We don't need to get as specific as drafting a Center.

FWIW, Walterfootball has BOSA going 1st overall in their updated 1/3/15 mock: http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

It's a 2016 mock... and it's not worth the paper it's not written upon. At this point even 2015 mocks are ludicrous.

Were were talking 2016 and loading up to make a run at him.

I seriously see JJ Watt potential in Bosa. Completely changes the dynamic of a defense.

Ummmmmm, no. Not even close to JJ Watt. But then, no one really is. Try another D player comparison other than white guy playing DL.

there are too many good OT's out there ..... One of those is still likely available at #19, so I would not be surprised to see a better run stopper taken at #12.

I agree with this........and considering the depth on our D-line, we will have to pick a difference maker early if he has any chance of becoming a starter and actually improving the line play.....the better(and deeper) we become, the harder it is to find players that are upgrades

Yeah...Im seeing us needing a real monster on the line and the only ones good enough to make a difference are at the top of the draft....

Nothing you said was wrong, but I think that is "analysis light".

Not that the DL needs outweigh the O line needs....But to me, it appears we can improve our O line with later picks, while that option isn't really available with D line.....

I can see a 2nd-3rd round OL pick making this team and possibly starting....but, with D line, Im not so sure there is one there who will improve us or start over our current players....

Same goes with LB....our guys look too good for a late rounder to beat out, so I think lb is next

but at WR not so much....I think out of all the need positions, WR is the most likely to be improved with later picks

I'm starting to think that we might be picking too late in this draft. If we were in the top 8 there might be some impact players. But I'm starting to think we should maybe trade down and get ammo for the following year. We should really see if we could possibly make a run at Bosa.

Jff and/or Gordon, coupled with another 1st rounder might be enough to move up into top 10 territory

So...in the end....and considering the talent available and the amount of talent we already have....I think the best option for picks to be upgrades over the current starters means....

DL and LB should be earlier picks....(cause the later picks wont start or even make this team)

OL and WR should be later picks....(cause there is more draft depth here and the later picks still have a chance to help us)

Huh? Is this the defeatist attitude most Browns fan have learned to adopt throughout the years? Or are they born this way? This isn't the NBA where only the top 15 picks will likely make an impact. I don't see how anyone drafted in round 1-3 will fail to make an impact.

Gilbert was damn-near useless this year and he was a top 8 pick... just sayin'.

And most people here know where I stand with our first rounders. OL with the first pick (unless S Landon Collins is available), and a NT/OLB with the second. Unless we miraculously land (or trade up for) Amari Cooper, WR should not be a priority with our first round picks. I'd rather we look for one in free agency.

... considering the depth on our D-line, we will have to pick a difference maker early if he has any chance of becoming a starter and actually improving the line play.....the better(and deeper) we become, the harder it is to find players that are upgrades

Not that the DL needs outweigh the O line needs....But to me, it appears we can improve our O line with later picks, while that option isn't really available with D line.....

I can see a 2nd-3rd round OL pick making this team and possibly starting....but, with D line, Im not so sure there is one there who will improve us or start over our current players...

So we are so deep in the D-line at such a high level that only a top 12 has a chance of upgrading that unit??? Rubin?

We can improve our O-line depth with later picks, but not our starters. Sure, late rounders can step in and start (We passed on a late rounder last year that could have helped us immensely, he said as he banged his Seantrel Henderson gong one last time), but that's not an everyday occurrence. For every Henderson there are a dozen McDonalds and Seymours.

My point is that our greater-est need after QB is O-line depth... but maybe it's greatest-er.

Apologies, but when mentioning injuries upon the Oline - the first name into anyone's mind is Mack.

None needed or wanted. I just wanted to emphasize that O-lines are more flexible than needing a HQ Center to back-up a HQ Center.

Huh? Is this the defeatist attitude most Browns fan have learned to adopt throughout the years? Or are they born this way? This isn't the NBA where only the top 15 picks will likely make an impact. I don't see how anyone drafted in round 1-3 will fail to make an impact.

Gilbert was damn-near useless this year and he was a top 8 pick... just sayin'.

Gilbert was also not on anybody's radar for us. The list of guys we passed on this last draft is mindnumbing. Look I dunno yet about this draft, I don't know who's likely going to be available. If there's a stud OL prospect there at 12 we kind of have no choice....but if the no brainer guys are gone than "maybe" we should think about loading up for the 16 draft, just saying. I really want us to have a shot at Bosa. I see better fundamentals out of him at this point in his carreer than Watt. Completely adaptable to either 3-4 or 4-3.....I mean just a complete player. I hope the Bucks win it all this year but have a quiet 16 season so Bosa falls out of the top 5. Maybe he can get a little tweaked hammy or something. Yeah I know that's sacrilegious as an OSU fan but I'm a Browns fan first and I really want to see that cat in a Browns uni. :P

Archived