THE BROWNS BOARD

Student called "Fascist bastard", is threatened to be suspended

calfoxwc

And about the Jew-slaves wandering around in the desert:

Why didn't they leave any artifacts behind after wandering around for so long?

After being slaves in Egypt? I'm guessing pharoah didn't honor their ticket stubs at the door to get their coats & hats when they left.

Come on, buddy.

1st century Palestine has a very good written history with many different scribes. You'd think that with some guy going around feeding thousands of people with a couple of loaves of bread would be worthy of writing down. Don't you think it is a bit irresponsible to not write down anything about someone that is turning water in to wine, healing sick people and raising the dead? Then you look at the gospels, and the first one (Mark) wasn't written until 70 ad at the earliest. That is not contemporary.

Right. Writing down records of activity that was punishable by death (on a cross, I think)? Let me go pull out the volumes of meeting minutes complete with names and SS#'s for every time I passed the dutchie back in college. <_<

At its inception, Christianity wasn't exactly the marquee religion it is today.. aren't you a religion major?

In an elementary read of Josephus, one would come across mentions of John the Baptist, & James - both important to the historical notion of the existence of a historical Jesus. And there is a controversial mention of Jesus but not a major one. Is it possible those manuscripts were hidden/ removed? After all, Herod's tomb was found using Josephus' work, exactly where he said it was, so I doubt accuracy is a problem here.

I never made out political harrassment to be an everyday occurence.

But it DOES happen. That was disputed earlier.

The New Testament supercedes the Old Testament - that

invalidate stoning, etc etc in the Old.

Great discussions though...

I never made out political harrassment to be an everyday occurence.

But it DOES happen. That was disputed earlier.

The New Testament supercedes the Old Testament - that

invalidate stoning, etc etc in the Old.

Great discussions though...

But then Jesus does say in the new testament to live by the old testament.

But then Jesus does say in the new testament to live by the old testament.

Does he?

An understanding of the New Covenant and salvation might provide some perspective on that. Jesus used the Old Testament in theme and in an allegoric sense (when he wasn't using it to pwn the Pharisees and their lack of ability to differentiate between the letter and spirit of the law).

Matt 23:25-26 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.

edit: That was the 1st, and probably be the last time I ever use the "word" pwn (unless you count that one).

It's been a long time now, but I don't think that's right. The Old Testament "laws" were impossible to follow.

Jesus died for all of us, so we don't have to "earn" our place in Heaven, as we believe he died for us, and arose again,

we are already worthy, our sins are already forgiven. Point is, if we still were under the laws of the Old Testament,

there would have been no need for Jesus to have died and arisen, and no need for the New Testament.

But, I gave up going to church about 20 years ago. After three church splits, I got tired of people bickering over religious stuff

and I'd rather be a fisher of fish on Sundays.

I know how you feel Cal, I have seen some of the dumbest shit for church splits but in all I feel those who want to bicker over little things are not attending church for the right reason in the first place.

Its not a popularity contest so when I do things where I attend Its not for a favorable statis I try to keep it low key.

Church softball can be fun.

He did say that the New Covenant did not make the 'old covenant' obsolete or unimportant.

He said the the New Covenant was the fulfillment of the 'old covenant'.

That was said to Jews who rejected the notion of Christ the Savior. Fact of the matter is, Jesus was raised a Jew and celebrated / recognized Jewish custom, etc. his entire life.

The Last Supper was a religious event RE: Passover.

When Jesus died, the curtain separating the holy place in the Temple from the most holy place - a place that a Rabbi could enter only 1 time per year.

The Bible provides examples showing the folly and failures of those who claimed the ability to predict the future based on their own powers or those of spirits (Daniel 2:27, etc.). God calls the word of diviners “nonsense,” “lies” and “deception” for foolish people (Ezekiel 13:8; Jeremiah 14:14; Isaiah 44:25). God said, "Woe to the foolish prophets who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing!" (Ezekiel 13:3). If an Israelite lived the deceitful practice of being a medium, it was punishable by death (Leviticus 20:27). The presence of a medium or spiritist among God's people of Israel was considered a defilement (Leviticus 19:31). All these practices take people further from their Creator, the true and living God.

Jeremiah 23:32:

32 Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the LORD, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the LORD.

1 John 2:26-27

26These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.

27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Archived