THE BROWNS BOARD

If you think Hoyer is a Franchise QB then sign here

StocktonShorts

Depends on what you mean by franchise qb. Would I build a team around him? Sure. He's a typical pocket passer and has high football iq. He doesn't have a cannon or supreme accuracy, but does that really detract from building a team around a pocket passer?

By franchise do you mean he'll be played for years since he is clutch, wins games, and is a leader, sure sign me up.

Would I rather have Brady, manning, Rogers, brees, luck, and so on and so on. Yes I would. Do we have a qb like them ob our roater, no. But if the guy keeps winning, ugly or not, I'm sticking with him. I'd keep drafting a qb in case there's a diamond in the rough.

The guy is a winner. The team plays well with him. I'll stick with him until the losses start rolling.

Ok so we have 11 replies and nobody wants to actually answer.

Should be about all you need to know.

You're not getting the answers you want because most sensible Browns fans realize there is no " yes and no" to both answers without stipulation.

Zombo is right. You are a troll. Even if you don't align yourself with another team.

Brian Hoyer isn't a franchise QB

Unfortunately I think he will be on the roster next year. This really isn't a knock on Hoyer as much as with it being his contract year and with a first rounder on the bench. I wish Farmer would pull off the move of the century and move Manziel to the Redskins for a 2nd rounder.

I really like his grit

Brian Hoyer isn't a franchise QB

Unfortunately I think he will be on the roster next year. This really isn't a knock on Hoyer as much as with it being his contract year and with a first rounder on the bench. I wish Farmer would pull off the move of the century and move Manziel to the Redskins for a 2nd rounder.

I really like his grit

It's Dan Snyder. He'd trade a 1st rounder and his wife for Manziel.

I know it's pretty important for you to be right, and l want you to live it up and go out with a bang, so yes...

BRIAN HOYER is our FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK!!!

And yes to whatever the hell your other question was. Or no. Whichever answer you were hoping for to have some opposition.

And l will defend those answers adamantly.

At least for the next 24 hours or so.

Marcus Paige

While it wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination he did do something that franchise qb's do. He took the suck...put it in a box and put it on the shelf and made the plays needed to win the game. He's done that on more than one occasion. He's done it far more times than Detemer, Couch, Holcomb, Wynn, Pederson, Dorsey,Garcia, Dilfer, Frye, Anderson, Quinn, McCoy, Delhomme, Wallace, Weeden, and Campbell. Sad thing is...this isn't even all the QB's we've had to endure. Are there more talented QB's out there? Of course and I'll give you that; hell for all we know Manziel might be one of them but we won't find out until either Hoyer's injured (Heaven forbid) or not resigned. The dead horse has been thoroughly beat, move on my friend.

I like Hoyer a lot and he's got a lot of heart. He reminds me of Rocky. He's down but not out. He fights. Mostly wins too.

That being said I really worry about his arm, more than anything. He makes a lot of errant throws. Sometimes he misses wide open targets. Sometimes they have to come back to the throw sometimes they have to like, fall down to catch them. And this is a receiver corps who I perceive to be playing out of their minds, at the highest level they could possibly play.

If he can clean up all that He's really got the football acumen and the grit to be great.

I don't think he's on the same level as Peyton Manning, but he's the best QB the Browns have had in a while. The Browns' record speaks for itself. We've seen how with other positions the FO is not afraid to put the rookies in ahead of the vets and holds players accountable, if Manziel has earned a start we would have seen it by now. Neither QB lit it up during preseason but Hoyer has the ability to read NFL defenses and get the plays out quickly, while Manziel seemed to struggle with that in preseason. Remember, Manziel only played 2 years of college football, giving him time to learn an NFL offense is only going to help him in the long run instead of ending up like Tim Couch.

In short, is Hoyer a franchise QB? No. He makes mistakes that better teams would capitalize on (he's been VERY lucky on some throws), if he doesn't shape up soon there is no chance of progressing in the playoffs. Is Hoyer the best QB on the roster as of now? Yes. Manziel played during preseason, took a few snaps in games and has had all this time to convince the FO to put him in and hasn't done it yet, even the "Johnny packages" are gone. There is more going on behind the scenes than we know and I trust this FO to make the right decision.

You have long argued that we should abandon Hoyer now because he is not a Super Bowl capable QB and the clock is ticking on JM's tryout.

I, and others, have long argued that now is not the time to take a JM test drive, because we are in the playoff hunt this year. Should that hunt end, then by all means, start JM.

Suddenly now we "are challenged" to throw in with Hoyer for 2015 as well? Sorry, it does not work that way.

That you believe the position you now challenge those who have disagreed with you to take is the opposite of your long-term stance shows, once and for all, how truly deluded you are.

Should we ultimately fall from playoff contention this year and JM starts, then I and others will legitimately be able to claim something you will never to able to claim, i.e., we were right.

You are not to be taken seriously any longer.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/completionPct

Worst completion percentage in the NFL.Browns are winning despite him. And I worry about Pettine too. Clock managent is a real issue with him, but I realise as a rookie head coach he can learn.But going into halftime today with 2 timeouts when we were driving was very telling.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/completionPct

Worst completion percentage in the NFL.Browns are winning despite him. And I worry about Pettine too. Clock managent is a real issue with him, but I realise as a rookie head coach he can learn.But going into halftime today with 2 timeouts when we were driving was very telling.

Really, Pettine?

I gotta say l like him okay so far. With a coach l look at the game management aspect, and the "what are you getting from your players?" aspect.

I think he's doing alright enough in the latter category to outweigh the negatives in the former. What do you think?

Over all. big fan. But in a close game, it's the little things that kill you. He really seems to get the best out of his players, but up against a veretran head coach, he has some real liabilities righ now. Mike Smith calling an errant timeout in this game before their field goal was the only reason we had a shot to win this game.But we're not always going to go up against someone as inept as him.

"The Falcons couldn't stop Isaiah Crowell (12 carries, 88 yards), but that didn't matter because Mike Pettine did it for them. Even though Crowell averaged 7.3 yards per carry, the Browns let Brian Hoyer throw it 40 times. Three of those 40 passes were picked off. "

Not my words,but relevant to the conversation. Although it may speak more to Shanahan

Several coaching mistakes as well. It was rough because our D played outstanding, our run game was very good. Team in general played great. Coaching mistakes and hoyer could have lost this game for us. Lucky win but I'll take it. It is nice to be able to "learn from mistakes" in a win. It always used to be we would lose these games.

Archived