THE BROWNS BOARD

Hafner - "I've never used steroids"

Beanpot

I believe him because I want to. Plus it'd be pretty silly to say this when those 100+ names are dangling out there for an enterprising reporter to get their hands on. Of course, what else is he supposed to say?

Country strong and nothing more - that's what I'm believing until proven otherwise.

Cleveland Indians' Travis Hafner says, 'I've never used steroids'

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Paul Hoynes

Plain Dealer Reporter

Goodyear, Ariz.- Travis Hafner made his big-league debut with Texas in 2002. Alex Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro, Juan Gonzalez and Ivan Rodriguez, a rouges gallery of admitted and alleged steroid users, were his teammates.

Alex Rodriguez last week said he used steroids from 2001 through 2003 with the Rangers after his positive 2003 test was reported by Sports Illustrated. Palmeiro tested positive for steroids while playing with Baltimore. In his book, "Juiced," former Ranger Jose Canseco said he used steroids with Juan Gonzalez and Ivan Rodriguez.

Could that be what's gone wrong with Hafner over the last two seasons with the Indians? Although he's never tested positive for steroids - MLB had no official testing policy until 2004 - is his body breaking down and his power vanishing from past use of performance-enhancing drugs?

"I've never used steroids," Hafner said Saturday.

Hafner joined the Rangers in August 2002. Like most rookies, he kept his eyes open and his mouth shut.

"I only spent a month and a half in the big leagues," he said. "I didn't really talk to many of the veteran guys. I really didn't know the club that well. As a young guy, I didn't notice anything.

"I almost think there's this perception that it's [going on] in the middle of the clubhouse.

"Unless you really did research or looked into it, you wouldn't know anything."

Players use steroids to add muscle mass and to allow their muscles to recover faster. When Hafner joined the Rangers, he had no problem with his size, weight or power.

"By the time I was in Triple-A, I was weighing 250 pounds," said Hafner, acquired by the Indians after the 2002 season. "There was never any temptation to do it because I wasn't at the point where I wanted to get any bigger.

"Certainly with everything going on, it's nice to know you haven't done anything and don't have to worry about anything."

Hafner is well aware of how many players have said the same thing only to be proven liars. Alex Rodriguez and Palmeiro, for instance.

He also knows people have tracked his drop in power, the right shoulder injury that cost him most of last season and required surgery in October, and his loss of weight this winter and have already reached their own conclusion.

"I know that it's out there," he said. "I'm sure there's people out there who think it's all over baseball. And if you play baseball and you're a big guy, you're automatically guilty. That's just the way it is right now."

Hafner says the speculation doesn't bother him.

"I don't care," he said. "I guess you find out in a hurry that you're not going to please everyone in this game. I have peace of mind knowing I never did anything. I'm sure there are players scared right now with all the stuff out there."

Alex Rodriguez was one of 104 players who tested positive for banned substances in 2003 when MLB and the players association were trying to determine if a steroid testing plan was needed. Rodriguez is the only player whose name has been made public.

Hafner said he's never used steroids for two reasons.

"The first thing, I was scared what it would do to my body health-wise," he said. "You see lots of guys with heart problems, different things like that. That was probably the main thing. You don't want to hurt your body for down the road.

"And it was illegal."

Hafner feels the current testing policy has done its job.

Hafner took batting practice Saturday as Indians pitchers and catchers took the field for the first official workout of spring training.

"Everything feels really good," said Hafner, who is not expected to be quite ready to play when the Indians open the Cactus League season Feb. 25.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer....xml&coll=2

Beanpot

You know I have said differently, but if that is his statement, then I believe him.

Yep. I'm going to believe him until there's evidence that shoots that belief to hell. It's not his fault that he's a bulky guy in the steroid era.

That said, I've used up all of my "Ah crap"'s when it comes to athletes and their PED denials. Won't blink an eye if he's outed as a user. Won't really care. The only thing I'll care about is the fact that he lied about it.

But again, what else is supposed to do?

He's both a victim and a beneficiary of playing in this era that has been built on steroids.

Beanpot

i mean, he has been the same size since he joined the league. he didn't grow four sizes after coming into the majors. he seems legit.

First and Foremost I am an Indians Fan

Travis has always been a favorite of mine, I saw his 2002 card from the Rangers the other day( currently looking for it online to post it here)

He has a big frame and has added some muscle but no where near the steroids gym rats would have

I always felt he may have been just a bit too muscle bound to where it may impede his swing a little but that is my opinion.

I honestly believe that Hafner when he said didn't ever take steroids.

Guest ATENEARS

LOL, don't want to be the nagging coach, but that old baseball card of Hafner displays some poor technique at fielding a ball. Is he ever gonna get his throwing hand in to secure it away and cut down on the transfer? LOL

At this point in time.....no.

He isn't trying to make anything anymore, so there is no real incentive for him to be too concerned with mechanics.

If someone had told him he wouldn't make it out of 'A" ball unless he improved his fielding, he might have.

Guest Masters
LOL, don't want to be the nagging coach, but that old baseball card of Hafner displays some poor technique at fielding a ball. Is he ever gonna get his throwing hand in to secure it away and cut down on the transfer? LOL

Probably one of the many reasons he became primarily a DH

Archived