THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns going to franchise Sean Jones?

DTBH

http://www.examiner.com/x-1287-Cleveland-S...or-DBs-is-short

There are five days left for the NFL deadline to name the players that teams will tag as franchise players. However, we will try to narrow down what defensive backs would be worth pursuing for the Browns with the current free agent list.

Unfortunately, quality cover cornerbacks are missing from the 2009 free agent list. The one true gem is Nnamdi Asomugha of the Oakland Raiders. Asomugha, 6’2”, 210 pounds, is at the top of every NFL team free agent want list that is looking for a cover corner.

But, the problem is that the Raiders will not let him go. The probability that Asomugha will be franchised by Oakland is near 100 percent, which would give the Raiders’ cornerback a salary of $11.7 million for the 2009 season.

Dunta Robinson of the Houston Texans is a notch below Asomugha, but the Texans have indicated that they will probably place the franchise tag on him. Robinson started the 2008 season on the injured list after suffering a knee injury in 2007 that limited him to seven games that season and 11 this year.

Robinson showed great potential in his rookie year (2004) when he intercepted six passes and forced three fumbles. However, he hasn’t progressed from that point and regressed the last two years due to his knee injury. He would be a risk if the Browns pursued him, especially for the big money Robinson may be looking for in free agency.

After Asomugha and Robinson, the talent level drops off to players like Jabari Greer (Buffalo), Bryant McFadden (Pittsburgh), and Phillip Buchanon (Tampa Bay). Two players let go by their 2008 team- Leigh Bodden (Detroit) and Adam “Pacman” Jones (Dallas) are also available. Jones has way too much personal baggage and Bodden probably doesn’t want to come back to Cleveland.

So, it doesn’t look like the Browns will find a cover corner in free agency. However, Cleveland may find a cheaper-priced and lower-rated one that will probably be an upgrade on what the Browns had last year.

As far as safeties go, a likely scenario might have Sean Jones, who played with Cleveland last year, returning to the Browns in 2009. The reason may be that there is a dearth of old safeties eligible for free agency this year.

Brian Dawkins, 35 (Philadelphia), Rodney Harrison, 35 (New England), Darren Sharper, 33 (Minnesota), and Lawyer Malloy, 35 (Atlanta) have 53 years of experience between them and all of them are too old to commit to multi-year, big-money contracts.

Another high-rated safety (Scout.com) is the Chicago Bears’ Mike Brown. But, Brown has been injured every year for the last five years and most of the time they have season-ending injuries.

Brown, who just turned 31 yesterday, is an exceptionally hard hitter and has a nose for the ball. Unfortunately, he can’t stay on the field long enough to justify a long-term contract commitment.

The top two free agent safeties are Jermaine Phillips of Tampa Bay and Oshiomogho Atogwe of St. Louis. However, neither will make it past the February 19th NFL deadline without getting the franchise tag hung around their necks.

The Browns’ own Sean Jones will likely be franchised by Cleveland if they can’t sign him to a long-term deal before February 19th. Jones, 27, still has a lot of potential. He is a hard hitter, and after all is said and done, is the best option left at safety in free agency.

With great linebackers in a 3-4 defense, Jones, with his big-hit ability, would flourish at safety. Jones has 14 interceptions in his short 4-year NFL career, along with 286 tackles (202 solo). Those numbers are with a below average defense. A very good front seven would propel Jones to the Pro Bowl.

One of the top priorities of this team is to sign Jones to a long term contract or at least tag him this year. Did we all forget how well the guy played in 07? He was our best player on defense! This year he was injured the whole season so he didn't have the break out year we expected, but he will and I hope its not with another team!

I really like our safeties and think their best football is front of them. Lets keep Pool and Jones together for a long time..

It would be nuts to let Jones go based on his struggles earlier in the season coming off surgery. He'll be a beast this year. A lot of our defensive improvement will come from Corey Williams and Sean Jones playing healthy.

I agree completely. There is no way you can let him go. He's still only 26 years old and can give this team 6 or 7 more years of quailty play

I am somewhat biased. Sean Jones is the guy that I wanted the Browns to draft in the 2nd round of the 2004 Draft. Safeties used to be cheap to franchise. Not so anymore. It will cost $6,342,000 to Franchise a Safety in 2009. Do we really want to pay that much for a Safety? Is Jones really that good?

If it's true what the author of that article said, that "a very good front seven would propel Jones to the Pro Bowl," then it would be wise to franchise Jones and get him signed long term at around $4m per year with incentives that could make the pay higher.

Generally, starting Safeties are easy to find in the 2nd round. You're not likely to get a Sean Payton, Roy Williams, or Troy Polamalu in the 2nd, but a quality starter can be found rather easily in the 2nd round of most Drafts. Although, I think the amount of 2009's prospects is a bit thinner than usual.

Designated NFL Franchise & Transition Tags For 2009

Quarterback

Franchise: $14.651M

Transition: $12.440M

Running Back

Franchise: $6.621M

Transition: $5.925M

Wide Receiver

Franchise: $9.884M

Transition: $8.393M

Tight End

Franchise: $4.462M

Transition: $4.065M

Offensive Linemen

Franchise: $8.451M

Transition: $7.744M

Defensive Tackle

Franchise: $6.058M

Transition: $5.45M

Defensive End

Franchise: $8.991M

Transition: $7.777M

Linebacker

Franchise: $8.304M

Transition: $7.480M

Safety

Franchise: $6.342M

Transition: $5.130M

Cornerback

Franchise: $9.957M

Transition: $8.374M

Kicker/Punter

Franchise: $2.483M

Transition: $2.264M

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/All-Access-Fo...n_salaries.html

-Al

They'll franchise Jones only if they have to while working on a long-term deal that's more cap friendly. We just have too many other needs to start letting guys like him go elsewhere. If Holly is healthy, you sign him, too, and focus on linebackers and another DE on defense.

Robaire Smith is said to be close to 100 percent already and he's under contract. Returning him and getting healthy seasons from Corey Williams and Sean Jones would be huge... and allow us to put our resources toward two very serious linebackers in free agency and the draft.

Personally, I think a tag on Jones at this point might be the best bet. You do need a contract that is cap friendly because DA's is going to kill us. I think putting a tag on Jones would mean goodbye to Lewis because of his $6.4 mil contract. Cap hits would be about a trade off.

Team also needs to look at getting some guys like Steinbach, Thomas or Cory Williams to redo their contracts to relieve some cap pressure.

I am somewhat biased. Sean Jones is the guy that I wanted the Browns to draft in the 2nd round of the 2004 Draft. Safeties used to be cheap to franchise. Not so anymore. It will cost $6,342,000 to Franchise a Safety in 2009. Do we really want to pay that much for a Safety? Is Jones really that good?

i know where you're coming from and agree, but you also know those numbers are a good rule of thumb and ideal.

i feel we do not have that luxury, so you do what you have to do, which is usually what you can afford to do.

One of the top priorities of this team is to sign Jones to a long term contract or at least tag him this year. Did we all forget how well the guy played in 07? He was our best player on defense! This year he was injured the whole season so he didn't have the break out year we expected, but he will and I hope its not with another team!

I really like our safeties and think their best football is front of them. Lets keep Pool and Jones together for a long time..

if Pool gets another concussion he's done, NFL rules not mine. trade his ass while he still has value. he's shown nothing these past 4 years to merit a few more-they were better off w/ Brian Russell.

keep DA, broom Vickers and Pool. Mike Adams can read D's better than Brodney anyway.

get Sean Jones a close parking space and lock him up for the next 4.

In Kokinis's press conference he indicated they may not tag anybody. He also said that some things change at the 11th hour but it didn't sound like they wanted to pay Jones over $6 million. That would be over half their money they are under the cap. They are trying to get Lewis to do a new contract. He is due $6.4 million this year.

Between Jones, Anderson and resigning Holly and Adams they would only have enough left to sign their draft picks. There would be no money for FA.

Kokinis and Mangini say they have evaluated the roster and have a plan to move on. Seems like they are willing to move on if Jones doesn't sign a decent contract. They have targeted some FAs they are interested in and I don't think they want their hands tied.

Working out a contract may be cheaper in the long run the Browns could save 1 or 2 million a year and everybody is happier that way.

If we franchise him then we still have to work something out the next year.

If we have to tag him to get more time to work out a LTC then so be it, but we can't let the guy go. So many of you fail to remember the year he had in 07 he was far and way this defenses best player, we didn't see that in 08 due to injury but he will "MARK MY WORDS" "WILL" have a break out year next season and I hope the new regime is smart enough to realize that!

Like I said cut JLew and use that 6 mill on a new LTC for Jones he will be worth it. JLew is washed up and the only way he should be kept around is for short yardage situations on a much smaller contract. It's time to draft a stud at RB and keep our youth intact by keeping Jones. How long do we have to sign him before he becomes a FA? Lets get it done!

One thing we don't know that the new staff if privy to.................................Jones's long term health.

I got to think if they are willing to let him walk or let him go into the open market then they may know something we don't.

I don't think they keep Lewis at his salary either. He had some minor clean out surgery so I don't know where they are with him and his contract.

Kokinis did say that they haven't talked to any of their FAs yet. They have until Feb 27th to work something out with our FAs. After that they are free to talk to any other teams. I think that some players are going to get a wakeup call and realize that teams aren't willing to spend, like in prior years, with this economy.

IMO some of the top FAs will still get their price, but the middle of the road guys may get squeezed.

The new staff and Kokinis may just be waiting to see who gets tagged and who will be in FA before they decide on Jones and some others.

Personally, I like Jones even though he isn't the greatest in coverage and has had some injury issues but, I don't think I pay him over $6 million. He's good, but he isn't great.

I think putting a tag on Jones would mean goodbye to Lewis because of his $6.4 mil contract.

and

They are trying to get Lewis to do a new contract. He is due $6.4 million this year.

do you have a link to direct me to where you got that #? i just want to see it myself...cuz a # that big does change things a bit.

are these the #s: 4 mil bonus + a 2.4M base?

It will be a huge loss if we let Jones get away. He will be a Pro Bowl Safety and his best days are in front of him!

and his character and attitude are great. he doesn't complain that i've ever heard, leads by example, and he's aggressive against the run. he makes picks and tackles well too. he's actually one of my favorite players......i'll admit i'd be pretty bummed if he left.

Yeah, those are the numbers. And according to one report, the $2.4M base salary is guaranteed.

thanks A. like you said earlier, i hope they can come to some agreement. paying someone 2.4M to leave is a terrible business move! this seems to be a theme in Cleveland lately.

i'd be fine w/ the 4.4M you suggested Aloysius. sure hope JLew is. B)

**crosses fingers**

seriously though, just look at him! you wanna tackle that guy?!?

No. He's too soft for that kind of money. Good riddance.

so how would you fill the void roach? a Pool/Adams tandem possibly?

Neither could play SS. The best in FA is Phillips but you also have guys like Jerrod Page, Will Allen and James Butler. There are also some very good SS that will be available in round 2 headed by Patrick Chung, who I love. Then again, it would be important to have some additional picks from a Anderson trade because there will be some nice looking LBs there in the 2nd round also.

It will be interesting to see how this staff goes with this situation. I don't think they will franchise Jones and pay him over $6 million.

I guess the new staff has a different opinion because it doesn't look like he is going to be tagged. Butler from the Giants is a good option and way cheaper. Butler is a player also. I'd like to have him. I think he has better cover skills then Jones.

I guess the new staff has a different opinion because it doesn't look like he is going to be tagged. Butler from the Giants is a good option and way cheaper. Butler is a player also. I'd like to have him. I think he has better cover skills then Jones.

I want my safety to lay the wood and be a ball hawk, corners cover.

I want my safety to lay the wood and be a ball hawk, corners cover.

Jones hasn't shown that "lay the wood" play for quite a while. If he did, I'm sure he would be looking at a new contract. He stopped hitting and can't cover and leaves the corners on an island too often.

Jones's has knee problems and none of us know if their's a problem there or not. Also, how much has that knee problem slowed him down? That is something I'm sure the coaches weigh in making their decision.

Archived