THE BROWNS BOARD

New Rb Coach

DestinFunk

New Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini has been very methodical in rounding out his coaching staff, but the coach has filled yet another vacancy, The OBR has confirmed, as Gary Brown has been hired running backs coach.

Brown comes over after a one-year stint at Rutgers, where he served as the RB coach under head coach Greg Schiano.

There is no word yet on when the hiring will be officially announced.

A message seeking confirmation from the Browns has not yet been returned, but a Rutgers source tells The OBR that Brown informed Schiano earlier in the week that he was leaving for the Browns.

Last year was Brown's first season at Rutgers after being hired in February of 2008; in fact, it was his first season coaching Div. I football period. Following a nine-year career as an NFL running back -- including five seasons with the Oilers -- that ended in 1999, Brown entered the coaching ranks as a high school assistant, followed shortly thereafter by a stint at Lycoming College. From 2003-07, Brown was an assistant at Div. III Susquehanna

Gary Leroy Brown (born July 1, 1969 in Williamsport, Pennsylvania) is a former professional American football player who was selected by the Houston Oilers in the 8th round of the 1991 NFL Draft. A 5'11", 230-lb. running back from Penn State, Brown played in 8 NFL seasons for 3 different teams from 1991 to 1999.

Brown rushed for over 1,000 yards twice in his career. He did it with the Oilers during the 1993 season with 1,002 yards and with the New York Giants during the 1998 season with 1,063 yards.

After retiring from pro football following the 1999 season, Gary returned to Williamsport and was hired as an assistant coach at Lycoming College. From 2006-2007, he served as offensive coordinator at Susquehanna University. In February 2008, he was named running backs coach at Rutgers University.[1]

Guest Aloysius
Last year was Brown's first season at Rutgers after being hired in February of 2008; in fact, it was his first season coaching Div. I football period. Following a nine-year career as an NFL running back -- including five seasons with the Oilers -- that ended in 1999, Brown entered the coaching ranks as a high school assistant, followed shortly thereafter by a stint at Lycoming College. From 2003-07, Brown was an assistant at Div. III Susquehanna.

Not the most impressive coaching resume, but I did some serious damage with him on Madden '94, so I'll cut him some slack.

Hopefully, we'll be hiring a LB coach next.

Archived