THE BROWNS BOARD

Quinn ready to go

ballpeen

Quinn healthy, raring to go

by Mary Kay Cabot

Friday February 13, 2009, 9:52 PM

Browns quarterback Brady Quinn has been throwing a football for about two weeks and said Friday he's almost 100 percent recovered from his finger surgery.

"It feels great," he said. "It's amazing. This is what I was born to do and it feels great to be throwing again. I'm pain-free and everything was 100 percent successful."

Quinn had two pins inserted in his right index finger Dec. 3 to repair a damaged extensor tendon and bone chip suffered Nov. 17 against Buffalo. The pins were removed in mid-January and he began throwing foam balls shortly thereafter, gradually working his way up to a football.

"Right now, I anticipate being able to participate fully in the off-season program (beginning March 16)," he said. "There's no doubt about it. I'm pretty much in the final phase of my rehab. It's a matter of making sure it's loose before I throw and gradually strengthening my finger as well as my grip."

Quinn said he's been throwing 60 to 70 balls per day at his normal distance and velocity.

"That's the status quo for quarterbacks at this time of year anyway,'' he said. "I think I'm right back to where I want to be. I wouldn't say I'm 100 percent, but I'm definitely almost there.''

Quinn has been impressed so far with new coach Eric Mangini, who he's spent time with at the Browns' facility.

"You can tell he's a very, very smart coach," said Quinn. "He bring a lot of accountability to our team, which is good for us and something that we need. After that brief meeting, I'm looking forward to getting after it even more because you can tell the biggest thing for him is he wants to win. That's all we want to do is bring this city a winning team."

Quinn said there was no mention of him being the starter in 2009 during the meeting.

"No, nothing at all," he said. "But it wouldn't matter what anyone said, because I always look forward to competing with the rest of the quarterbacks and working my tail off to be the starter. That focus has never changed for me."

Quinn said he's also developed a great rapport with new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll -- who was an offensive assistant in New England under Quinn's college coach Charlie Weis -- and new quarterbacks coach Carl Smith, who also coached Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb here.

"I can tell coach Daboll is going to be creative and innovative and do different things to get guys open," Quinn said. "He'll do some things we're accustomed to from our previous offense but also some things he did in New England. With his Patriots background, there will definitely be some overlap in regards to systems and sometimes how we call things, which will be a comfort to me."

He said he's excited to dig into a new system "because I've always been a student of the game and I enjoy learning a new offense, the way coordinators think and how they like to attack teams."

As for his new QB coach Smith, he said, "I've enjoyed his teaching style so far, so it's been fun."

In addition to rehabbing his finger, Quinn's had a busy off-season. He spent some time during Super Bowl week promoting Pedigree's Adopt-a-Dog program, a cause that's near to his heart because he's adopted one himself. He also recently returned from a mission trip in the Dominican Republic with his sister Laura and her husband, A.J. Hawk of the Packers, the former Buckeyes linebacker.

During the mission, Quinn helped install windows and doors on a school, talked to kids about not doing drugs, visited orphanages and donated money so that the little town of 300 families could have running water.

"It was an eye-opening experience, like nothing I had ever seen before," he said. "It makes you wonder why anyone here would complain about anything. Hopefully it's a community I'll be able to visit on occasion and watch some of the kids grow."

Quinn said he attended a Cavs game the other night and it got him primed for the season. "Just seeing the fans out there and seeing people get so pumped for the season, I just can't wait."

He spent some time during Super Bowl week promoting Pedigree's Adopt-a-Dog program, a cause that's near to his heart because he's adopted one himself. He also recently returned from a mission trip in the Dominican Republic with his sister Laura and her husband, A.J. Hawk of the Packers, the former Buckeyes linebacker.

During the mission, Quinn helped install windows and doors on a school, talked to kids about not doing drugs, visited orphanages and donated money so that the little town of 300 families could have running water.

Grew up a Browns fan, adopts dogs, donates to orphanages and has teen idol looks.

How do you fight this guy?

I admire Lumberg more everyday ... his job is not easy.

Zombo

Grew up a Browns fan, adopts dogs, donates to orphanages and has teen idol looks.

If you had 11 million in incentives based on being named the starter this year you would probably transform yourself into a major-league ass kisser too.

And speaking of "how do you fight this guy", I have a feeling that teammates such as Shaun Smith aren't buying it.

damn... and here I thought that Lummy was one of the 'extremely immature banned members here that attempt to spoil our forum'.... guess i'll just have to keep his comments blocked.

I admire Lumberg more everyday ... his job is not easy.

Zombo

LOL!

It aint ez being Lums these days..

Smith isnt going to be around next year anyways..he got beat at his own mouth game and popped a still recovering bq in the face but as a player smith is sub-par and a bad character kiss him goodbye..

Im gonna miss ya lums when you go to whatever teamboard DA goes too..

As far as BQ being ready to go its hard to get er done when you have no recievers that can get open or catch the ball...

"You can tell he's a very, very smart coach," said Quinn. "He bring a lot of accountability to our team, which is good for us and something that we need."

As apposed to a previous coach? We won't use any names.

It may not be a comparison but I can't help but think that way.

Man am I glad to hear he's feeling good.

When the Browns moved up to get Quinn, after nabbing the best OT in the draft, I thought the Browns were back. But then he held out, and a coin flip and a couple of years later, we're finally going to see it happen.

If Thomas comes out of his sophomore funk and Quinn does well, it could be the best first round of the draft the Browns have ever had.

And I can't wait to get rid of DA. Tired of hearing about him and tired of this QB controversy song. Let's hope the only tape we're showing to other teams is the home Bengals game in '07 and the Giants MNF game in '08. <_<

Quinn healthy, raring to go

by Mary Kay Cabot

Friday February 13, 2009, 9:52 PM

he said. "But it wouldn't matter what anyone said, because I always look forward to competing with the rest of the quarterbacks and working my tail off to be the starter. ."

Hmmm those Quarterbacks being.....?

If you had 11 million in incentives based on being named the starter this year you would probably transform yourself into a major-league ass kisser too.

And speaking of "how do you fight this guy", I have a feeling that teammates such as Shaun Smith aren't buying it.

Shaun Smith is a real literate, smart, civilized guy to be taking sides with. You might want to drop this as a supporting argument... no one is going to be impressed that that fat lard Retard doesn't like Quinn. In fact, it's probably a hint that Quinn is the guy for the job.

Do you really think that helping a town in the Dominican is being an ass kisser? I would help a lot of people if I had that kind of money but it certainly wouldn't be to impress anyone

I think it's Quinn time for sure , and am very excited to see who he throws it to . This year promises to be an interesting one in terms of personnel . Not knowing what the new system will be like , or knowing the personnel groups is going to be fun watching . Seeing what will be Josh Cribbs new roles will also be fun to watch develop .

Archived