THE BROWNS BOARD

Do juiced-up Steelers teams deserve asterisks?

plumcrazy73

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's see... all I've done is post a link to a video of guys from the team that started steroid use in the NFL, talking about how they started steroid use in the NFL. I let them do the talking, not my words. The actual players, for all to see and listen to.

And I'm the one who's smoking the good stuff huh?

Yeah, just like I was high back when I told you guys were doing this stuff way before the '70s.

Now who's high?

Again, why weren't you guys all over the Van Pelt story? Instead of getting all giddy over Jeff Reed.

Just proves my point.

You know, I know, and they know you have proved a good point. They won't admitt it and throw personal attacks like Ben throws game winning tds after leading great hurry up offense down the field. They know they are hypocrites and admitt to being biased against the Steelers. (As if we couldn't have figured that out) They will take both sides to any situation just as an excuse to attack the Steelers. (Ex: Remember week 17 this year? Leading up to the game they said Tomlin was dumb and we were going to lose in the first round of the playoffs becuase Tomlin was going to rest the starters. When they found out we were playing are starters they said Tomlin was dumb becuase someone was going to get injured. Then they cheered like crazy as Ben lay motionless on the ground will a head/neck/back injury.) I hope you have figured out to not take them seriously. I just can't figure out why all the hate? It was the Ravens who took their team from Cleveland and it was the Steelers who voted to keep their team in Cleveland. A lot of what these Browns fan say/do is out of arrogance. They want to live success so if they dimish others success and act if they are the best, in their mind, they will be they best.

Alzado had his best years with Cleveland. Yeah I can just hear the Brownie fans "oh nice sack Lyle! But we hate you because you do 'roids!" Oh man you are hilarious!

Good to see ya again Flugie.

That's just it Joe - you don't do any research before tasting your Nikes. We're kind of used to this with you.

CAREER Tm G GS

8 yrs DEN 99 98

4 yrs OAK 51 51

3 yrs CLE 46 30

They didn't record sacks until 1982 - the year Lyle went to Oakland. If you look at the # of games and the number of starts, Cleveland was his worst place. Not that you needed to see this if you ever heard him say he played his worst football in Cleveland.

- Tom F.

Was this BEFORE or AFTER you and your buddies interrupted every Browns message board you could find to celebrate the day Kellen Winslow had a motorcycle accident? Selective memory?

Let's just say when I heard the Drama Queen was still going to be starting on opening day - I had some fun with the irony of it all. That said, it's not in me to go on your message boards to intervene with the process of people trying to enjoy their team. You wouldn't understand because here you are. To be honest, I didn't think your local paper was so piss poor that it needed to invade a Browns' Private message board in order to find worthy reading material and STEAL it for your papers. Anyway, here were my summary of comments to Browns fans:

"I wonder who is wearing the bigger head turban today - Bin Laden or Ben Riden?"

-and-

"There's just something about Steelers QBs bouncing off hard surfaces that makes this rivalry fun."

- Tom F. (Don't worry, you guys have so much HGH in that lockerroom - nobody ever lands on IR in that program. Still dirty!)

They needed to get proof people actually say completely rediculous and stupid things and you were the best example that could be found. If you hate the Steeler so much and feel most of what them and there fans do is wrong, then isn't it using circular reasoning to use their actions as an excuse for your actions? I don't stop you when you people are enjoying your team. I sometimes join your draft discussions and tried to join in threads concerning who would be your next head coach. Enjoying your team doesn't mean you say rediculous things about other players, teams, and fans. Trash-talking is one thing and supposed to be fun, making fun of injuries among other things are sick and rediculous.

This is right off ESPN:

Yep, Browns sack leader Lyle Alzado. He was really hated, I can tell.

Keep on grasping those straws buddy.

And again -- how do you explain missing the Van Pelt story, but glomming all over the little Reed incident?

That says it all.

Again, your research is short sighted and selective. Then again, you're in denial that the steroids era was the 70s and the poster boys of it were the Pittsburgh Stee-roids. Sports Illustrated and former Steeler Steve Courson tell some compelling stories about it all. I think the guy that shared needles with teammates is a better source than you wishing none of it was true. Steroids + Trophies = Early Funerals. "We were horrible role models." "I threw away my rings." "Kids today emulate their heroes. It makes me sick knowing we're the reason a kid in high school or junior high school wants to use the same short cuts we required." It doesn't sound like much peace and serenity after the massive group cheat. It's got you miserable Joey!

In any event, here's the Alzado reality that anyone with more than 2 braincells on spreaking terms can make some conclusions about:

CAREER Tm G GS

8 yrs DEN 99 98

4 yrs OAK 51 51

3 yrs CLE 46 30

Looks like played 100% of his games in Oakland where they WON the Superbowl and he started 98 out of 99 games in Denver where he made MOST of his Pro Bowls. The math says he was reliable enough elsewhere for 149 out of 150 possible starts. In Cleveland he missed a THIRD of his games (equalling 1 whole season) but had 1 good year out of 3. Understanding this, if he was an ASSET instead of an ASSHOLE, he stays instead of sprays.

If he was as good as you WANTED him to be in Cleveland, he would have remained on the team with a raise. Steroids have never been the rule in this lockerroom. You're just pissed his quick release reinforces that reality as you should be. Have you ever won a single debate in here with anyone?

Have another beer! Don't ALL happy fans name themselves after a depressant with their screen names?

- Tom F. (Don't worry, I don't have higher expections from the 'Steroids Are Us' crowd)

Steroids Are Us!!!

That has a nice ring to it Flugs.

I was thinking something more along the lines of "Steroids, They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore,", but I think I prefer yours.

It's so cute watching these guys try to deflect. If only they could win one for real.

Thing is, it's the Bradshaw part that sealed the deal, took the cake --

He SURE did. He also gave poor little Jo Jo Starbuck (the temporary wife) black eyes and broken noses. Greg Loyd had a WONDERFUL role model. I'm sure the wife playing deep throat and broken teeth to the pistol shaft while the son was also tied up with a gun to his head are very thankful for steroids. Sounds like they do wonders for the mind and disturbing behavioral patterns.

Would that be MORE of this roid rage yinz all want the "shhhh" policy continued for? I got your "shhh" right here! That's not the SAME kind of Family Building tactics we saw from the "We Are Family" crew. I actually LIKED those guys because they were far better role models.

Unfortunately, poor Mike Webster was competing with rats and raccons for meals out of trash cans but the lost mind had nothing to do with 15 years of steroid abuse right? Terry Long didn't wait that long - he purchased a gallon of Anti-freeze and chugged it. Don't shoot the mailman reporting your drug culture. You're so guilt ridden - you're naming your screen identity after your coping skills, which are also a depressant. Where's all the peace, serenity and jubilation for selling the souls Joey?

God bless ya! That type of imagination belongs in Disney where "once upon a time" never gets altered from the path of "they lived happily ever after." Unfortunately, your creativity never stopped 1 premature funeral from happening. Seems like I feel worse for your heroes than you're capable of.

- Tom F. (I don't think they need asterisks when SI is willing to provide the casket counts, America defined the Steelers as the poster boys of the steroids era, and 1 Steeler wrote about the shame/guilt of it all. We're all set!)

Steroids Are Us!!!

That has a nice ring to it Flugs.

I was thinking something more along the lines of "Steroids, They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore,", but I think I prefer yours.

It's so cute watching these guys try to deflect. If only they could win one for real.

You and Flugel are refusing to admitt players in the 60's started wide spread use of roids and we are the ones defelecting it? I don't see you offering video proof of players admitting to be the first people to start using roids. Your attempts to tarnish the Steelers remind me of your offense attempts to score just one td...

He SURE did. He also gave poor little Jo Jo Starbuck (the temporary wife) black eyes and broken noses. Greg Loyd had a WONDERFUL role model. I'm sure the wife playing deep throat and broken teeth to the pistol shaft while the son was also tied up with a gun to his head are very thankful for steroids. Sounds like they do wonders for the mind and disturbing behavioral patterns.

Would that be MORE of this roid rage yinz all want the "shhhh" policy continued for? I got your "shhh" right here! That's not the SAME kind of Family Building tactics we saw from the "We Are Family" crew. I actually LIKED those guys because they were far better role models.

Unfortunately, poor Mike Webster was competing with rats and raccons for meals out of trash cans but the lost mind had nothing to do with 15 years of steroid abuse right? Terry Long didn't wait that long - he purchased a gallon of Anti-freeze and chugged it. Don't shoot the mailman reporting your drug culture. You're so guilt ridden - you're naming your screen identity after your coping skills, which are also a depressant. Where's all the peace, serenity and jubilation for selling the souls Joey?

God bless ya! That type of imagination belongs in Disney where "once upon a time" never gets altered from the path of "they lived happily ever after." Unfortunately, your creativity never stopped 1 premature funeral from happening. Seems like I feel worse for your heroes than you're capable of.

- Tom F. (I don't think they need asterisks when SI is willing to provide the casket counts, America defined the Steelers as the poster boys of the steroids era, and 1 Steeler wrote about the shame/guilt of it all. We're all set!)

So any time a Steeler gets mad he is having "roid rage" but turkey jones was okay to do what he did?

Again, your research is short sighted and selective. Then again, you're in denial that the steroids era was the 70s and the poster boys of it were the Pittsburgh Stee-roids. Sports Illustrated and former Steeler Steve Courson tell some compelling stories about it all. I think the guy that shared needles with teammates is a better source than you wishing none of it was true. Steroids + Trophies = Early Funerals. "We were horrible role models." "I threw away my rings." "Kids today emulate their heroes. It makes me sick knowing we're the reason a kid in high school or junior high school wants to use the same short cuts we required." It doesn't sound like much peace and serenity after the massive group cheat. It's got you miserable Joey!

In any event, here's the Alzado reality that anyone with more than 2 braincells on spreaking terms can make some conclusions about:

CAREER Tm G GS

8 yrs DEN 99 98

4 yrs OAK 51 51

3 yrs CLE 46 30

Looks like played 100% of his games in Oakland where they WON the Superbowl and he started 98 out of 99 games in Denver where he made MOST of his Pro Bowls. The math says he was reliable enough elsewhere for 149 out of 150 possible starts. In Cleveland he missed a THIRD of his games (equalling 1 whole season) but had 1 good year out of 3. Understanding this, if he was an ASSET instead of an ASSHOLE, he stays instead of sprays.

If he was as good as you WANTED him to be in Cleveland, he would have remained on the team with a raise. Steroids have never been the rule in this lockerroom. You're just pissed his quick release reinforces that reality as you should be. Have you ever won a single debate in here with anyone?

Have another beer! Don't ALL happy fans name themselves after a depressant with their screen names?

- Tom F. (Don't worry, I don't have higher expections from the 'Steroids Are Us' crowd)

No one is denying that there were probably steroid users in the 70's locker room. What we are doing is using facts to prove your outregous accusations to be false. Such as we were the first team to use roids, we were the only team in the 70's to use roids, and we still use roids to this day. Your refusal to except these facts don't make you look intelligent. Your accusations that we don't admitt steroid use from the SOME Steelers in the 70's does the same exact thing to you. Don't look at other Browns fans opinions of you becuase they would obviously agree with whatever you say or do.

No one is denying that there were probably steroid users in the 70's locker room. What we are doing is using facts to prove your outregous accusations to be false.

Dude, you take longer naps than Rip Van Winkle if you think the Steelers weren't the poster boys for what was widely labelled the steroids era.

If you polled 100% of the fans that aren't Pittsburgh Steeler fans - you'd have 100% of those polled sayign the Steelers were the FIRST team to go wide spread abuse across both lines.

Don't believe me? Research the NFL's Strongesdt Man competitions from that era and you'll see the Steelers had 3 of their startign 5 olinemen competing in it. Meanwhile, Larry Brown was in the process of going from a comfortable TE weight to a heavy OT playing weight while losing body fat in the process.

When 80% of YOUR lines are bench pressing between 500 and 615 pounds when such feats were unheard of -De Nile isn't just a river in the Middle East.

What you and Joe are CHOOSING to miss is the concept of widespread use when we add the plural to pioneer. What Sports Illustrated and False Glory laid out in the message was that the team with the MOST cheaters was winning at all costs. Nobody said there wasn't occasional cheaters elsewhere - the message was Pittsburgh had the MOST cheating and it mattered regardless of how much you and Joe want to spin it. I didn't INVENT this - you guys are giving me too much credit for other people's work. SI covered the costs with the coffin counts while Courson said he felt guilty and shameful that all future users were going to say they wanted to emulate the Steeler way of winning at all costs. He knows it was wrong but for some reason he never survived the book signing tour. There's been ALOT of angry Steeler fans about that evil truth like Joe 6pack and yourself to name a few arguing on behalf of bad ethics. Sorry dude! The truth hurts and as Jack Nicholson says: "you can't handle the truth!"

Let it go, you're NEVER gonna change WHO were the poster boys of the steroids era were. It is what it is and there's SI stories and the False Glory story that captures everything you don't want America knowing. Geech brings the best input to this discussion. This topic needs the same kind of early funeral your steroids cause.

- Tom F. (When the Cleveland Browns were in 10 consecutive Pro Football Championships we didn't need to hire Perry Mason to legitimize them all. I see why none of yinz can sleep or celebrate knowing the ugly truth. You can't ever beat the REAL thing but you can hire the Paul Brown pupils and try the shortcuts you needed)

Dude, you take longer naps than Rip Van Winkle if you think the Steelers weren't the poster boys for what was widely labelled the steroids era.

If you polled 100% of the fans that aren't Pittsburgh Steeler fans - you'd have 100% of those polled sayign the Steelers were the FIRST team to go wide spread abuse across both lines.

Don't believe me? Research the NFL's Strongesdt Man competitions from that era and you'll see the Steelers had 3 of their startign 5 olinemen competing in it. Meanwhile, Larry Brown was in the process of going from a comfortable TE weight to a heavy OT playing weight while losing body fat in the process.

When 80% of YOUR lines are bench pressing between 500 and 615 pounds when such feats were unheard of -De Nile isn't just a river in the Middle East.

What you and Joe are CHOOSING to miss is the concept of widespread use when we add the plural to pioneer. What Sports Illustrated and False Glory laid out in the message was that the team with the MOST cheaters was winning at all costs. Nobody said there wasn't occasional cheaters elsewhere - the message was Pittsburgh had the MOST cheating and it mattered regardless of how much you and Joe want to spin it. I didn't INVENT this - you guys are giving me too much credit for other people's work. SI covered the costs with the coffin counts while Courson said he felt guilty and shameful that all future users were going to say they wanted to emulate the Steeler way of winning at all costs. He knows it was wrong but for some reason he never survived the book signing tour. There's been ALOT of angry Steeler fans about that evil truth like Joe 6pack and yourself to name a few arguing on behalf of bad ethics. Sorry dude! The truth hurts and as Jack Nicholson says: "you can't handle the truth!"

Let it go, you're NEVER gonna change WHO were the poster boys of the steroids era were. It is what it is and there's SI stories and the False Glory story that captures everything you don't want America knowing. Geech brings the best input to this discussion. This topic needs the same kind of early funeral your steroids cause.

- Tom F. (When the Cleveland Browns were in 10 consecutive Pro Football Championships we didn't need to hire Perry Mason to legitimize them all. I see why none of yinz can sleep or celebrate knowing the ugly truth. You can't ever beat the REAL thing but you can hire the Paul Brown pupils and try the shortcuts you needed)

Its like you are acting like the video didn't have players admitting to using roids in the 60's....

The truth is, the Pittsburgh Steelers are 6 time champs and you would like to taint that by screaming steroids, cheating, refs etc.. If you didn't try to down play every Steelers win by blaming the refs then you may have gained enough credibility for me to not think you will pay all costs to try to damage the Steelers success. You are biased aginst the Steelers at all costs. I don't see threads against Shawn Merrimen or Rodney Harrison. I see threads saying our kicker uses roids becuase he got mad once.... Harrison takes a dumb penalty and thats all the proof you guys need to say he is on roids. Turkey Jones does worse then Harrison but thats the average Brown's fan favorite all time play. If you weren't such hypocrites, you would gain credibility.

Ya thats all a bunch of Factual stuff. lol.... The Llyod and Bardshaw stuff was never Proven , why hash up stuff that the LAW rejected as BS ??? You do realize that people actually DO get accused of things they never Did... right. Or do you blindly believe EVERYTHING you read... HILARIOUS !!

. Steroids have never been the rule in this lockerroom. You're just pissed his quick release reinforces that reality as you should be. Have you ever won a single debate in here with anyone?

Tom, I have not seen anyone more obsesed with this issue than you. Steroids were certainly a rule in your locker room just like all of the NFL. The STEELERS got the reputation because they were successful and they actually had ONE person talk about it. Steroids were rampant in the NFL way before the STEELERS became your poster boys. Your point about Alzado is rediculous. The only thing you got right is that Steroids = ealry death when used improperly.

Ya thats all a bunch of Factual stuff. lol.... The Llyod and Bardshaw stuff was never Proven , why hash up stuff that the LAW rejected as BS ??? You do realize that people actually DO get accused of things they never Did... right. Or do you blindly believe EVERYTHING you read... HILARIOUS !!

It sure is.

The Lloyd thing was in the newspaper. Somebody shared the article. Let me guess - the author was lying? God bless ya.

The Bradshaw info is hearsay from a family with lifetime season tickets to Steeler games. I got more than I needed to hear when I asked why the former Head Coach and most of Bradshaw's teammates hated his ass. I found it weird that the Pirates were the Champions everyone thought of as "We are Family" while alot of the Steelers that lived to tell about their rings aren't on speaking terms.

Why do I feel like that bad kid telling people that reindeer don't fly and a real fat can't squeeze into everybody's chimney?

- Tom F. (Repeat after me: False Glory is a True Story)

So by that measure, you should hate Jim Brown and totally reject anything the Browns achieved in the '50s right? I mean, Jimmy was getting hauled in for rage-fueled wifey abuse while Bradshaw was still up in his high chair eating his baby food.

Just like Jim somehow managed to be 1) bigger than his guards that blocked for him, yet 2) faster than his wide receivers. Now how is that possible? Imagine if Frankenback had played for the Steelers, how you'd be all over him! You know, just like you completely glossed over the Van Pelt story, as if it never happened. Which proves again my point -- it's not about 'roids, it's about singling out the Steelers for some hypocritical bashing.

Again, why would you rag on the Steelers, or any other team, instead of the guys who actually STARTED the whole 'roids thing in the first place? Shouldn't you be directing your criticism at them now? Hmmm.

According to the Pittsburgh Steeler: "False Glory is a True story!" Hard to find better scoreboard than checkmate.

My advice: finish that 6 pack, get some well needed sleep and buy some more beer tomorrow Joey! I know you're depressed but if you kill enough brain cells drinking - you'll remain too confused to feel the emotional pain. If someone tells you they think you have a drinking problem - you just ask them "does it look like I'm having any trouble drinking?"

As you were...,

- Tom F. (And about that college basketball team: "Beware the Ides of March!")

It sure is.

The Lloyd thing was in the newspaper. Somebody shared the article. Let me guess - the author was lying? God bless ya.

The Bradshaw info is hearsay from a family with lifetime season tickets to Steeler games. I got more than I needed to hear when I asked why the former Head Coach and most of Bradshaw's teammates hated his ass. I found it weird that the Pirates were the Champions everyone thought of as "We are Family" while alot of the Steelers that lived to tell about their rings aren't on speaking terms.

Why do I feel like that bad kid telling people that reindeer don't fly and a real fat can't squeeze into everybody's chimney?

- Tom F. (Repeat after me: False Glory is a True Story)

Lloyd was NOT convicted of anything .... the Bradshaw hearsay is BS....and I could care less HOW long someone had season tickets. A Lotta BS get tossed around that have No basis of truth. And the Steeler that dont get along....again BS. Go talk to Lynn Swann or Franco ...Mel Blount . Those guys speak ALL the time about the Closeness of that Team. Come on Flugel , we can fabricate ( or who ever "Gave' you this info can fabricate ) Whatever we want. Why talk about stuff that has no concrete evidence.

No free pass: NFL caught in crosshairs of steroid expert's harsh, but compelling, new book

by Bill Livingston/Plain Dealer Columnist

Saturday February 28, 2009, 8:46 PM

CLEVELAND -- More grotesque creatures prowl NFL playing fields than were in the space bar on Tatooine in "Star Wars," and sportswriters concentrate on baseball?

The fact is that many of us didn't try, for a number of ostrich reasons, to winnow the rare, natural-wonder athlete from those created by Performance-Enhancing Drugs (PEDs) like steroids, human growth hormone (HGH), gammahydroxybutyrate (GHB) and insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1). The last pair are the hot new letters in the cheaters' alphabet.

Author Matt Chaney, once a player at an NCAA Division II program, Southeast Missouri State, details this in "Spiral of Denial -- Muscle Doping in American Football." One must go to the Web site to get it, because major publishing houses consider such an unglamorous treatment of sports to be a market loser, unless it is a Jose Canseco tell-all.

Chaney, whose work has been published in the New York Daily News and Kansas City Star, too often injects his own past as a steroid user in the book, but it is also part of its scope.

What results is an exhaustively researched, impressive survey of the "personal and institutional irresponsibility" in the Baby Boomer generation -- with liposuction, face lifts, breast implants and baldness cures off the field, with almost everyone trying to be Benjamin Button on it -- while the would-be whistle-blowers in the media are discouraged in so many areas of team access and fan response that they become partners of the NCAA and NFL in a don't ask, don't tell conspiracy of sinews.

Chaney dates the bigger-is-better approach to 1959 Heisman Trophy winner Billy Cannon at LSU. Cannon was a product of strength-training at Istrouma (La.) High School when that was thought to be harmful. His muscle guru, Alvin Roy, went on to have a long career as kind of the Johnny Appleseed of steroids in the NFL.

The 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers, Chaney charges, were the first to master the intricacies of doping, although steroid use had proliferated on other teams as a way to catch up.

He claims the drug underground was suspicious when NFL icon Walter Payton died at the age of 45 from a rare liver disease.

He correlates the Carolina Panthers' quick rise to the Super Bowl in this decade to a pattern of systematic doping.

The book's experts debunk the effectiveness of urinalysis in detecting PEDs use. In fact, they lay out the regimen of HGH and low-dose testosterone that fools testers.

Chaney's remarks about the national media bite. He calls Sports Illustrated's Peter King and ESPN's Merrill Hoge apologists for the NFL. Bob Costas of NBC and HBO and Paul Zimmerman of SI fare better.

Although Chaney advocates weight limits based on percentage of deviation from standard body mass indices, he sadly concludes that the genie can't be put back in the bottle. In a "gladiator" sport like college and pro football, fans want more power, speed and violence. With genetic manipulation, he worries that we will soon see athletic, 400-pound players whose body structure and organs cannot support such size.

Frankenstein's new monsters will make Barry Bonds look like a pixie. Then again, the old ones already have.

I can't recommend this book too highly.

My work is done here for now.

Queue the Yinzers with their fingers in their ears going .."La la la la la la la la."

The Taintsburgh Cheaters......35 years of duplicity. They must be so proud.

DWJ

The Steelroids need to put asterisks on their helmet in place of their gay logo as a homage to their extreme cheating in past and present times.

THAT is a GREAT idea! Someone with the requisite Photo Shop skills needs to get on that.

Doug

Sounds like a job for Mr. T to me.

I think the asterisks are a GREAT idea for their throw back uniforms. On the new helmets we can paint these 3 letters with 3 different pretty colors:

HGH

- Tom F. (False Glory is a True Story)

Considering we've now got confirmed 'roid use in the '50s, I'd keep those asterisks in my back pocket for now. You never know when you might need some to put on a Browns helmet.

Newsflash !!!!! My Coaches always told me...it aint Cheatin If you dont get CAUGHT !! Not to say its right , but that's How we were raised up. I remember Football Coaches showing holding tactics to O-linemen... geezz...My Basketball Coaches were wizards when it came to ways to gain an "Advantage". I am Just saying it is NO Surprise that Guys used "Supplements" to gain an edge too !!! Even in the 50`s...

Newsflash !!!!! My Coaches always told me...it aint Cheatin If you dont get CAUGHT !! Not to say its right , but that's How we were raised up. I remember Football Coaches showing holding tactics to O-linemen... geezz...My Basketball Coaches were wizards when it came to ways to gain an "Advantage". I am Just saying it is NO Surprise that Guys used "Supplements" to gain an edge too !!! Even in the 50`s...

it aint Cheatin If you dont get CAUGHT !!

Now you've got your team motto to go along with your new logo, the asterisk.

Zombo

--Mrs. Freak has the same motto from what I hear...

Archived