THE BROWNS BOARD

A Definitive Answer to Anderson's Bonus

JewDago

More on Derek Anderson's situation

February 13, 2009 2:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

I wanted to pass along a quick note to the AFC North readers.

There have been a lot of reports about Cleveland Browns quarterback Derek Anderson and his $5 million roster bonus due in March. But there was no clarifications on the actual date.

According to a source, Anderson will get the roster bonus on March 13. The bonus is guaranteed, so if he's still on Cleveland's roster at that time, the Browns will be on the books for $5 million. If Anderson is traded before then, that team will ante up the $5 million.

This is important because this sizable bonus could hinder potential trades.

If the Browns want to dump Anderson before March 13, teams would also have to consider paying that high bonus. If Cleveland keeps Anderson beyond that date, it could be paying a $5 million bonus to a quarterback who could spent next year as a backup to Brady Quinn.

and we have our answer as to when we're going to have to pay anderson's bonus. doesn't change anything, but now we know. and knowing blah blah blah half the battle.

I agree.....more or less buy a pick....depends which route the other team wants to take.

I think they would rather give up a pick....more or less making DA their draft pick.

I still think DA can be a great QB for some team that wants a downfield gunner and that has decent recievers that at least try to come down with some of his off thrown balls and can catch his well thrown ones as well...

He will likely be the best available QB choice for trade and may become a hot commodity..i wouldnt be suprized if DA goes somewhere else and makes a name for himself while quinn struggles with butterfingers, steptoe and stallworthless..

I am not going to get into predicting what Quinn might or might not do, but i agree that some people have given up on DA a bit early.

I doubt he can do anything here anymore.....sometimes things play out and players need a new venue where he can start fresh.

A fresh beginning is many times all a player needs.

It means the Jets are the only viable option. They desperately need a QB and 5 million is not a big deal for the Jets team which has most of its pieces intact except for a QB.

Interesting that BQ Nation thinks that DA would automatically beat out Kellen Clemens yet thinks DA would sit behind Quinn.

Clemens beat out Pennington and has a W over the Steelers on his resume. Quinn meanwhile has done zilch.

DA to the Jets is just a case of BQ Nation is blowing off Clemens in their search for any type of dream scenario for the keys to be handed to Quinn without competition.

Its rather unfortunate but DA is finished in brownstown rather some want to face it or not at this point he would be boo'ed even in the unlikely event he had a close to perfect season..as long as bq is around if we traded bq he would be blamed for it and hated even more..plus i think bq will be able to easily live up to his expectations once the green is gone from behind the ears and after he gets a couple of recievers next year that he can rely on..by coincidence thats the same thing DA needs...

What i dont get is how many fans are ok with keeping BE the crybaby around when all he does is blame the fans for causing his poor performance/mental lapse last season regardless of what butterfingers says its obvious this guy wants out of cleveland and mankok may and should accomadate him..

DA is a soldier but should have been pulled several times for his own good and the teams last season.. butterfingers should have been benched numerous times as well even the rook "no hanzors"sanders could have done better but wasnt given the chance... its what poor coaching can do for you..

DA is taking the whole blame while the rest of the defunct offense thinks they are skating free..BE first and formost doesnt mind DA taking the sting for him..some team player he is huh...

Interesting that BQ Nation thinks that DA would automatically beat out Kellen Clemens yet thinks DA would sit behind Quinn.

Who gives a FCUK if DA beats out Clemens? That'll be your problem, not ours.

This is just pathetic reaching (not that it hasn't been this way for you since you first graced us with your presence). I cannot wait for the day you go from ridiculously irrelevant to silent.

Guest Masters

Notice Lum stays silent on the whole part about the bonus. I don't usually like to do this, but in your case "I told you so for months how the bonus worked!"

Did anyone say they cared or even thought DA could beat out Clemens if he was a Jet? Nope. Way to reach Lum.

Why was BE not benched last year, cause we did not have a receiver riding the pine that had the resume, so to speak like Quinn did at the QB position. Had we had a say Crabtree riding the pine and BE was not benched then you would have a valid point GIPS.

Yes DA is a good QB, is he great no. But he is a good QB that is done in Cleveland, and I think that feeling is mutual! Had we not drafted Quinn, I think DA would get one more year. But we did so he does not. That is the way it is.

Archived