THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting Options Developing in Browns QB Situation

Frenchie

Merged or not, good post JAF...

Texas A&M does not have cheerleaders. They are male yell leaders. LOL! :lol:

One could argue your facts make the story even better... WHOOP! ;)

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no reason to not sign Hoyer and no reason to not keep Manziel. Right now everything is about Hoyer, and it should be. He is the starting QB and doing a great job. However, we don't know what is happening in practice. Manziel might be playing great in his role. Just because Hoyer is playing well this year doesn't mean Manziel won't beat him out next year.

There is no rush to this. We don't have to make any decisions on this for 2-3 more years. JF isn't a distraction. We aren't reading about his exploits anymore. Let's don't be in a hurry to get rid of either one.

Merged or not, good post JAF...

One could argue your facts make the story even better... WHOOP! ;)

Thanks Tour.

This whole thing just doesn't sit well, nor does it seem to fit Hoyer's character - could be wrong, but as a Team Leader it just doesn't line up.

Looks like BR's Cole is doubling down...

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/10/14/jason-cole-of-bleacher-report-the-browns-know-hoyer-will-not-re-sign-in-the-current-circumstance-but-he-has-not-officially-said-that-to-the-team/

So now not "everyone Cole has talked to" is saying the same thing...

... although he said that all did...

... and Hoyer has not officially said to the team what Cole says he said...

... but the team is aware of what he has said even tho he has not said what he said to the team...

Anything I miss?

So Hoyer wants a more "backuppy" backup IF all this is true ... OK

Well, we can't franchise both Hoyer and Cameron, so maybe we better get to work on Cameron so we can franchise Brian if we have to. I would not trade Manziel after one year, he could be great, and Hoyer could once again get injured. Browns gotta ride this out with both ... we went 15 years without one QB, we can go two years with 2.

Zombo

wow, so this is true? Really Brian? If you're a "competitor"...than guess what dude you have to "compete". Gonna be that way anywhere you go. He never got the starting job at NE because he couldn't outcompete Tom Brady. He deserves a good contract no question. But if JF outcompetes him in a couple years than what? You want the Browns to guarantee they keep playing you even though someone better is on the team? So basically he wants to get rid of competition. Wow that's such a good look for an NFL QB. And what if Connor Shaw steps in for a few games after he gets hurt and plays better, get rid of him too then? Basically we have to guarantee Hoyer that our 2nd string QB sucks so bad we'll throw a couple more million at him to entice him off the IR a few months early? Such a bad look. Still hope this is bullshit, I thought the two of them actually got along.

This whole non-story is ridiculous.....and, as predicted, the whole national media is repeating this one guys speculation over and over......

It's been a few weeks without a Johnny story, so they just fabricate shit to talk about....whatever.

The Browns will keep both if at all possible. But I dont think Hoyer is worth a franchise tag.....an exclusive tag would make him the 3rd highest paid qb in the league at 17m......and a non-exclusive transition tag would put him at about 15m....which is where P Manning is and more than guys like Brees, Rivers, Kapernik, Rapistberger, Flacco, Newton, etc

I like Hoyer....a lot!.....but, cmon, he hasnt accomplished enough to be top tier in the league....and it takes more than 1 year to get there....

All the Browns have to do is step up to the plate.....say Hoyer is there man.....give him a fair contract.....and, when camp starts next year, nip the JFF talk in the bud by reaffirming that HOYER is the incumbent and JFF is his back up.....give Hoyer the 1st team reps and keep JFF with the scrubs....

wow, so this is true? Really Brian? If you're a "competitor"...than guess what dude you have to "compete". Gonna be that way anywhere you go. He never got the starting job at NE because he couldn't outcompete Tom Brady. He deserves a good contract no question. But if JF outcompetes him in a couple years than what? You want the Browns to guarantee they keep playing you even though someone better is on the team? So basically he wants to get rid of competition. Wow that's such a good look for an NFL QB. And what if Connor Shaw steps in for a few games after he gets hurt and plays better, get rid of him too then? Basically we have to guarantee Hoyer that our 2nd string QB sucks so bad we'll throw a couple more million at him to entice him off the IR a few months early? Such a bad look. Still hope this is bullshit, I thought the two of them actually got along.

Well, I can definitely understand why Hoyer, or anyone else, would want to avoid battling it out with JF. It must be frustrating to have solid productivity on offense and and still have half the fans thinking Johnny can solve all our problems (even on defense). But, you're right, he needs to just play the game, sign a contract, and let the coaches and bean counters do the rest.

There is no reason to not sign Hoyer and no reason to not keep Manziel. Right now everything is about Hoyer, and it should be. He is the starting QB and doing a great job. However, we don't know what is happening in practice. Manziel might be playing great in his role. Just because Hoyer is playing well this year doesn't mean Manziel won't beat him out next year.

There is no rush to this. We don't have to make any decisions on this for 2-3 more years. JF isn't a distraction. We aren't reading about his exploits anymore. Let's don't be in a hurry to get rid of either one.

Exactly 'Peen. This will all sort itself out in due time. Manziel has three more seasons on his rookie contract. Hoyer's looked more than adequate, but we need a few more games of work to be sure- and injuries happen.

Looks like BR's Cole is doubling down...

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/10/14/jason-cole-of-bleacher-report-the-browns-know-hoyer-will-not-re-sign-in-the-current-circumstance-but-he-has-not-officially-said-that-to-the-team/

So now not "everyone Cole has talked to" is saying the same thing...

... although he said that all did...

... and Hoyer has not officially said to the team what Cole says he said...

... but the team is aware of what he has said even tho he has not said what he said to the team...

Anything I miss?

That you can't smell the reek of Bulls**t coming through your computer? Yeah, unfortunately MKC's regurgitation made it to the Dayton Daily News this morning. I'm beginning to think Mary Kay needs to get the heave-ho just like Grossi. Cleveland fans deserve better reporting than that.

This whole non-story is ridiculous.....and, as predicted, the whole national media is repeating this one guys speculation over and over......

It's been a few weeks without a Johnny story, so they just fabricate shit to talk about....whatever.

The Browns will keep both if at all possible. But I dont think Hoyer is worth a franchise tag.....an exclusive tag would make him the 3rd highest paid qb in the league at 17m......and a non-exclusive transition tag would put him at about 15m....which is where P Manning is and more than guys like Brees, Rivers, Kapernik, Rapistberger, Flacco, Newton, etc

I like Hoyer....a lot!.....but, cmon, he hasnt accomplished enough to be top tier in the league....and it takes more than 1 year to get there....

All the Browns have to do is step up to the plate.....say Hoyer is there man.....give him a fair contract.....and, when camp starts next year, nip the JFF talk in the bud by reaffirming that HOYER is the incumbent and JFF is his back up.....give Hoyer the 1st team reps and keep JFF with the scrubs....

Sounds great in theory. Right now Johnny is an athlete playing QB, but what happens when he becomes a QB who is an athlete? I'm sure you understand what I mean by that and it changes everything. Pettine sees it which is why he keeps saying what he does about Johnny for the long run.

Wait, Hoyer isn't asking for 15m is he? Please Tell me he's not asking for Peyton Manning money.

No, no no.......that's just the least he would get if we put a non exclusive franchise tag on him, like we did with Mack....

I doubt that he's even given them a number yet...but Im guessing 10 is the more realistic range for him to expect after 1 good year.....

Sounds great in theory. Right now Johnny is an athlete playing QB, but what happens when he becomes a QB who is an athlete? I'm sure you understand what I mean by that and it changes everything. Pettine sees it which is why he keeps saying what he does about Johnny for the long run.

Bottom line...if or when JFF is better, then you play him...... but I think Hoyer is just looking toward next year and saying "if I play out the year and finish strong, I want to be the starter next year". Dont think there's more to it than that.

Once he's signed, they can do whatever they want. My gut tells me everyone but jff hated the circus during training camp. So I can see the benefit of the Browns stepping up now, keeping JFF in his place for another year, signing hoyer, shutting up the whole circus act and having a quiet & focused training camp, getting the "starter" all the reps and coming out of the gate with Hoyer as a solid #1....signed, sealed & happy...:)

Then.....whatever happens happens.....;)

man what a bunch of reactionary ninnies.

another media driven bunch of crap?

man, let the browns FO people do their jobs, let hoyer continue playing and ride him until he drops.

what he said was he wants to play for a team where he starts. he will, until either manziel's skillset surpasses hoyer's (which i i find highly unlikely) or he gets hurt.

I just really hope there isn't an ounce of truth to Hoyer wanting JF out of here just cause he's a threat. If I was Farmer and sitting across from Hoyer and heard that I'd be like hey Brian, remember the last time you went down? What happened?....we had to hand the team back to that name that shall go unspoken in the halls of Berea for the rest of time. Would really rub me the wrong way to have a QB in the NFL try to strongarm my franchise out of having what could be one of the best QB situations any team has had in a long time. Maybe not Farve/Rodgers good but I don't think anybody thought Rodgers was gonna be quite as good as he turned out.

man what a bunch of reactionary ninnies.

another media driven bunch of crap?

man, let the browns FO people do their jobs, let hoyer continue playing and ride him until he drops.

what he said was he wants to play for a team where he starts. he will, until either manziel's skillset surpasses hoyer's (which i i find highly unlikely) or he gets hurt.

Completely false. Unless the Browns make the playoffs Manziel will start at some point next year regardless if Hoyer is healthy. PTI spent time today mapping out what everyone, other than Browns' fans realize.

And before I get called a Manzelot or troll, I think Hoyer has been excellent and in no way deserves this situation. I was not a fan of drafting Manziel. The cold hard truth that everyone outside of Cleveland realizes, you don't draft a QB in the first round, especially with the hype of Johnny Football and keep him on the bench for 2 seasons unless you have the guy you want to be your QB the next 5 plus years.

I just really hope there isn't an ounce of truth to Hoyer wanting JF out of here just cause he's a threat. If I was Farmer and sitting across from Hoyer and heard that I'd be like hey Brian, remember the last time you went down? What happened?....we had to hand the team back to that name that shall go unspoken in the halls of Berea for the rest of time. Would really rub me the wrong way to have a QB in the NFL try to strongarm my franchise out of having what could be one of the best QB situations any team has had in a long time. Maybe not Farve/Rodgers good but I don't think anybody thought Rodgers was gonna be quite as good as he turned out.

If you were Hoyer would you want to look over shoulder ever two game losing streak? Or worse know that the GM/Owner's guy is always waiting behind you? Professional sports has a bit of a science to it.

Look at Matt Cassel and Kirk Cousins. Cassel plays well and New England immediately ships him out because they have their guy and there is no need having a great backup. Washington keeps Cousins and RG3 has to listen to the talk about replacing him and then he gets hurt and you realize you should have sold Cousins when his stock was high, just like New England.

looking over your shoulder....welcome to the NFL. Do we hear any of the D lineman complaining about the depth there? That their starting roles might get taken from them? What's best for us right now is to have JF on the team, no question. If you're Hoyer, you shouldn't care who's on the bench cause you'll beat him out every year.

looking over your shoulder....welcome to the NFL. Do we hear any of the D lineman complaining about the depth there? That their starting roles might get taken from them? What's best for us right now is to have JF on the team, no question. If you're Hoyer, you shouldn't care who's on the bench cause you'll beat him out every year.

If Manziel is on this roster in 2 years without a single start and the Browns haven't won a playoff game Farmer will be searching for new employment. And yes QBs are different than DL, who are different than special teams players. If Hoyer plays well and the Browns go 8-8 or 9-7 he will want to get paid and go to a place where he will be the guy for the future. Teams like Oakland, Jets, Titans, etc. will line up for him.

No one knows what (if anything) Hoyer has said, or in what context it (if anything) was said. Also no one on this board knows what goes on behind closed doors. If Hoyer did say something concerning Manziel, one would assume there must be a reason. We could speculate all day long what that reason may be. Does Hoyer really see Manziel as a threat? I doubt it. All I know is , here we go again with the QB controversy bullshit. I believed in Hoyer last year, I believe in him this year and I believe in him going forward. All I really know about Manziel is he's here and has done nothing, zero, zilch, nada, for the Browns but make a spectacle of himself. Maybe therein lies the problem.

If Manziel is on this roster in 2 years without a single start and the Browns haven't won a playoff game Farmer will be searching for new employment. And yes QBs are different than DL, who are different than special teams players. If Hoyer plays well and the Browns go 8-8 or 9-7 he will want to get paid and go to a place where he will be the guy for the future. Teams like Oakland, Jets, Titans, etc. will line up for him.

if hoyer wins us more games than any other starting QB has since '99 and we finish either in the playoffs or close to getting in..........

flash forward to next year's TC when hoyer is signed and he still is decidedly better than manziel, you're telling me we're going to take hoyer out and start manziel just because he was a first round pick?

GTFO. that makes no sense whatsoever.

i see you threw in make the playoffs. what if we go 8-8 this year after finishing like shit the last 5 years? you're going to call it a failure?

all i know is this shit is the last thing we need at this time to fucking have the fans and team divided over one player or another when the browns have their best looking start in years.

It is sad how the Hoyer Homos are so ready to get rid of competition.

I embrace Hoyer. He is playing great. I just don't understand why they are so eager to get rid of Manziel? Why do they care who is backing him up unless they don't want him beat out?

Go Brian.

if hoyer wins us more games than any other starting QB has since '99 and we finish either in the playoffs or close to getting in..........

flash forward to next year's TC when hoyer is signed and he still is decidedly better than manziel, you're telling me we're going to take hoyer out and start manziel just because he was a first round pick?

i see you threw in make the playoffs. what if we go 8-8 this year after finishing like shit the last 5 years? you're going to call it a failure?

all i know is this shit is the last thing we need at this time to fucking have the fans and team divided over one player or another when the browns have their best looking start in years.

Gotta agree. Mik is spot on here

The only divide I see is Hoyer fans anxious to be rid of competition. I like Manziel, but I am perfectly happy with him on the bench. I am not calling for Manziel to play. We don't have to make that call for 2-3 years.

I say wait a while to see how this play out. How is that unreasonable?

Archived