THE BROWNS BOARD

Running Back Class

Solon16

Everyone knows about: Moreno,Wells,McCoy, Shonn green maybe some like Ringer, Jennings, A. Brown(ncst) and D. brown (Conn), Lucky, Etc.....I really like Jeremiah Johnson from Oregon....Played with Jonathan Stewart last year....Noone's talking about him....which I like but will Be a good Rb in the NFL.

Do you guys like any other RB's I haven't mentioned? It's a Nice class of Rb's....the combine is coming real soon and there will be some separation after the 40's come out but I like JJ from da ducks!

Guest Aloysius

During their latest podcast, Kiper and McShay were asked who they thought would be the Matt Forte of this year's draft (RB drafted later than Round 1 who ends up being more productive than some of the guys taken ahead of him).

McShay said of the Round 2 guys, he'd take Shonn Greene, but he also mentioned Rashad Jennings as Round 3-5 guy. He compared him to Arizona's Tim Hightower. Also mentioned Devin Moore (Wyoming) as a smaller back who could do some good things, especially as a receiver coming out of the backfield.

Kiper mentioned Jeremiah Johnson as a guy he thinks has big play ability and who could really thrive as a committee back.

During their latest podcast, Kiper and McShay were asked who they thought would be the Matt Forte of this year's draft (RB drafted later than Round 1 who ends up being more productive than some of the guys taken ahead of him).

McShay said of the Round 2 guys, he'd take Shonn Greene, but he also mentioned Rashad Jennings as Round 3-5 guy. He compared him to Arizona's Tim Hightower. Also mentioned Devin Moore (Wyoming) as a smaller back who could do some good things, especially as a receiver coming out of the backfield.

Kiper mentioned Jeremiah Johnson as a guy he thinks has big play ability and who could really thrive as a committee back.

Is he coming out for sure...ie Jeremiah? i seem to remember him deciding to stay, not positive at all.

CJ Spiller(clem) is a very nice Speedy back and also like Glen Coffee from bama....nice draft for 3~5th rounders....Davis from Clemson too but Spiller is much better

and that's a big problem because we only have one pick between 3rd round and 5th round. again, a great reason why we need to aquire some additional picks.

Guy to watch for that got Bad pub at Texas A&M Mike Goodson....Totally misused under Sherman.

Analysis

Positives: Lean, athletic build, but one that seems better suited to wide receiver in the NFL. Rare speed and agility. Quick to and through the hole. Can make defenders miss in tight spaces and flashes exceptional elusiveness in the open field. Rare balance and the ability to cut at top speed in either direction. Experienced receiver out of the backfield. Runs with functional power, despite less than ideal strength, as he keeps his legs churning and spins out of tackles. A threat to go the distance every time he has the ball in his hands. Lacks experience as a special teams returner, but has the potential to be a standout in this area -- much like former Aggie Dante Hall.

Negatives: Lacks the bulk to be an every-down back. Marginal leg drive for short-yardage situations. Undeniable athleticism, but Goodson's production dropped in each of his three seasons with the Aggies -- and it can't be blamed on just touches as his yards per carry also dropped each year. Legitimate intangible red flags regarding his struggles to coexist with former Texas A&M head coach R.C. Slocum and his staff, as well as current head coach Mike Sherman and his staff, especially considering that Sherman publicly touted Goodson as the player the offense would be centered around when he took the position. Scouts will also question Goodson's toughness after he missed time with sprains in his neck, groin and right knee since last spring

Any body Like PJ Hill from Wisconson??? 230 lb back....not a burner for sure but late rounder to pair with Harrison???

Analysis

Positives: Good height, adequate upper body build and long arms. Downhill runner who is best between the tackles. Generally shows patience to let the blocks develop in front of him. Good burst past the line once he hits the hole. Uses nimble feet to spin or wiggle to sidestep tacklers in the hole or in the backfield. Has re-worked his body to get stronger and leaner. Lowers his pads to run over defensive backs at the second level. Effective stiff arm keeps defensive backs off him at the second level. Churns his legs to get extra yards, especially in short-yardage situations. Good effort in pass protection, and will throw a shoulder or take multiple shots at a blitzer to sustain. Not used as a receiver often in Wisconsin's offense, but has shown some ability there to handle swing passes and bowl over defenders in space.

Negatives: Runs upright. A bit top-heavy, which makes him susceptible to cut tackles. Not quick laterally, does not sink his hips to cut and may find it tough to avoid tackles by NFL-quality defenders. Ball security has been an issue because he carries it in his stomach and sometimes tries to get the extra yard. Occasionally dances once through the hole instead of using his power. Lacks breakaway speed. Will miss in pass protection on quicker safeties coming on the blitz. Has played through multiple nagging injuries, including missing significant time with a foot problem in 2007, which raises durability questions.

I think it's a pretty weak class, but would agree that once you're on to day two that Johnson is one of the few worth taking a shot on.

He was always hurt, though. That's a problem.

Actually this is a pretty good class despite lack of many first rounders..... three could go in first which is decent. Goodson will light up combine IMO...really fast and has frame to get alot bigger

Any body Like PJ Hill from Wisconson??? 230 lb back....not a burner for sure but late rounder to pair with Harrison???

Analysis

Positives: Good height, adequate upper body build and long arms. Downhill runner who is best between the tackles. Generally shows patience to let the blocks develop in front of him. Good burst past the line once he hits the hole. Uses nimble feet to spin or wiggle to sidestep tacklers in the hole or in the backfield. Has re-worked his body to get stronger and leaner. Lowers his pads to run over defensive backs at the second level. Effective stiff arm keeps defensive backs off him at the second level. Churns his legs to get extra yards, especially in short-yardage situations. Good effort in pass protection, and will throw a shoulder or take multiple shots at a blitzer to sustain. Not used as a receiver often in Wisconsin's offense, but has shown some ability there to handle swing passes and bowl over defenders in space.

Negatives: Runs upright. A bit top-heavy, which makes him susceptible to cut tackles. Not quick laterally, does not sink his hips to cut and may find it tough to avoid tackles by NFL-quality defenders. Ball security has been an issue because he carries it in his stomach and sometimes tries to get the extra yard. Occasionally dances once through the hole instead of using his power. Lacks breakaway speed. Will miss in pass protection on quicker safeties coming on the blitz. Has played through multiple nagging injuries, including missing significant time with a foot problem in 2007, which raises durability questions.

kind of reminds me of brandon jacobs not as fast but same kind of build

Everyone knows about: Moreno,Wells,McCoy, Shonn green maybe some like Ringer, Jennings, A. Brown(ncst) and D. brown (Conn), Lucky, Etc.....I really like Jeremiah Johnson from Oregon....Played with Jonathan Stewart last year....Noone's talking about him....which I like but will Be a good Rb in the NFL.

Do you guys like any other RB's I haven't mentioned? It's a Nice class of Rb's....the combine is coming real soon and there will be some separation after the 40's come out but I like JJ from da ducks!

I can't wait for the combines Solon. I thought I remembered JJ breaking off a nice run in the All Star game.

- Tom F.

I can't wait for the combines Solon. I thought I remembered JJ breaking off a nice run in the All Star game.

- Tom F.

Me either...some serious gains and losses made next week....I'm a tape guy myself...how do they play in big games is most important to me...JJ is a real good back....I'd also good hard after Goodson in later rounds!!

Archived