THE BROWNS BOARD

Michael Crabtree

Guest Aloysius

There's a lot of teams that might consider trading up for Crabtree. A WR without a giant ego. Now that is worth its weight in gold.

This is Edwards with hands and humility.

And if we could get a 2nd and conditional pick out of Edwards I'd be all over that.

We need consistency at WR and Edwards doesn't give us that.

Toss in a burner with decent hands and we're in for a hell of a show.

if curry is gone and bradtree is still there i fully expect the browns to trade that pick. they can get a lot more for that pick than just one person at #5.

Philly wants a WR in the worst way. They plan to go after TJ housyourmama in FA. If they can't get him or Boldin, here's a team with two first rounders and would jump all over Crabtree.

Guest Aloysius
Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree measured only 6'1 1/4 and 215 pounds at Friday's NFL Scouting Combine weigh-in.

He's two inches shorter than expected (and two inches shorter than Larry Fitzgerald). Crabtree was listed at 6'3/214 as a Red Raider. The third-year sophomore plays big, but red flags are mounting. He's not running at the Combine due to a mid-October ankle injury, and says he won't be healthy for another three weeks. Crabtree needs a big Pro Day to rebound.

And if we could get a 2nd and conditional pick out of Edwards I'd be all over that.

We need consistency at WR and Edwards doesn't give us that.

Toss in a burner with decent hands and we're in for a hell of a show.

i agree with the second sentence but not the first. if Crabtree is all that and a bag o' beans simply adding him beside Braylon would accomplish everything we want. Edwards responds to competition, use the ego to your advantage.

the path of least resistance does not apply to the NFL.

Braylon's still clay, but clay that only he can sculpt. there is a way.

I'm really beginning to believe he might be too good to pass up.

As impressed as I am by Curry, Crabtree just feels like something special.

There are more than a few scouts questioning Curry. One scout "Don’t get me wrong, I’m an Aaron Curry fan, but if he’s the top defensive player then this is a weak draft. He’s just not that dominant."

Snatch, do you have a link for that quote?

I got it from my Steelers message board. It was taken from Scouts.com. I'm pretty sure it was a Steeler scout but I have read it from others a while back. Jim Wexell maybe? As far as Crabtree is concerned I don't think it would be a bad pick up.

Guest Aloysius

So it's not a scout; it's a Pittsburgh radio guy writing for scout.com.

I think he's wrong about Curry. He also wrote that BJ Raji - who notched eight sacks in '08 - is only a two down player. He may be taking the Raji-Hampton comparison too literally.

So it's not a scout; it's a Pittsburgh radio guy writing for scout.com.

I think he's wrong about Curry. He also wrote that BJ Raji - who notched eight sacks in '08 - is only a two down player. He may be taking the Raji-Hampton comparison too literally.

It's not the first time I've read that about Curry. As far as Raji is concerned I have no idea. I didn't watch the Senior bowl game and honestly don't watch much college football. Also notching 8 sacks in college doesn't always translate to the NFL. BJ Raji definitely reminds me of Hampton, but Hampton is a beast so it's a whatever comment.

Guest Masters
It's not the first time I've read that about Curry. As far as Raji is concerned I have no idea. I didn't watch the Senior bowl game and honestly don't watch much college football. Also notching 8 sacks in college doesn't always translate to the NFL. BJ Raji definitely reminds me of Hampton, but Hampton is a beast so it's a whatever comment.

What has been said about Curry is that he isn't a flashy player. By that, he doesn't have a bunch of big hit highlight reels. But there is a reason when every scout talks about him, they can't find a hole in the guys game. He can play inside, outside, cover, or rush the passer.

There are so many things that worry me about him.

First, I don't like his 40 time. I'm pretty sure he announced he will not run the 40 at the combines. The reason is simple.

He's not a burner and it could hurt him. It's not due to an injury. It's due to a fear that he'll run a 4.6

If he was 6'3" or 6'4" I would worry less about his straight line speed. But at 6'1" I'd prefer to see him sub 4.5.

Secondly is the fact that he played in a conference where no one played defense. I watched their bowl game againt Ole' Miss and Crabtree really didn't do much. I think he was Tech's 4th or 5th leading receiver that game.

It really makes me wonder what will happen when he faces NFL corners....Which leads me to my final point and final worry about him...........The thing that worries the most is how much he reminds me of two guys, Antonio Bryant and Roddy White. Two guys that were suppose to be big time players and two guys that have done little in the NFL.

White has been better the last two years with receptions and yards but his TD receptions are still nothing to write home about. (13 the last two seasons)

I really hope we don't draft him. Not because he won't be a good NFL receiver but because I think the Browns could get a much bigger impact than Crabtree.

Not for nothing, but I've been saying I don't think Crabtree is right for us even though I enjoyed watching him play in college. We could use the SPEED of Maclin or Harvin if WR is our choice of weapon.

What's to say a kid like Robiskie couldn't have done what Crabtree did vrs the Big 12 defenses within a Mike Leach scheme that alows favorable matchups for his best Receiver in 4 WR sets?

Hit or miss often involves the environment. If Joe Montana went to the Detroit Lions or Kurt Warner was in any other place besides St Louis - how different is history? If Warner came here, he wouldn't have had Orlando Pace to the left, Marshall Faulk's 4.2 speed to bury the blitz via the swing pass and receivers like Holt, Bruce, Proehl and Hakim. The right place, right coaching staff and right surrounding talent make it an ideal chemistry or nightmare induced-migraine.

Dalls didn't go from 1-15 with ONE high draft pick. They made a clever trade that produced a mutliplicty of draft picks. They made some blunders too but they had so many picks you forgot Russell Maryland required them to upgrade to Tony Castillas and Danny Noonan.

The tradedown or trading a BIG name idea is REALLY growing on me because we're gonna need more than 4 picks per draft as last year reminds us.

- Tom F. (The best thing that could happen to Crabtree is that he slides and gets pissed off enough to feel he has something to prove. Sliding will also plant his fanny on a better team. There's NOTHING wrong makign kids EARN the signing bonus first. Haven't we experienced this first hand?)

It is already happening. A guy with a phenominal college career and "less-than-ideal" measurables falls in the draft and the team smart/lucky enough to get him wins the lottery. How often do we see this happen?

Can the guy catch the football? That matters above all else, as we have leanred through Braylon the last season. Doesn't matter how fast they are and how tall they are if they can't consistently catch it... give me Hines Ward all day over Paul Hubbard.

Can the guy catch the football? That matters above all else, as we have leanred through Braylon the last season. Doesn't matter how fast they are and how tall they are if they can't consistently catch it... give me Hines Ward all day over Paul Hubbard.

Dawg, please refer to him ocrrectly. It's Paul "Glue Hands" Hubbard.

A receiver is the last thing the Browns need right now , they have to get this defense established with an identity and start playing some tough football. This is NE Ohio, the AFC North. Belichick had us in the playoffs in '94 with a marginal offense at best because the defense was kick ass. Drafting a WR reeks of Detroilet.

I'm just hoping that he falls to 5 so we can trade down. But, now that this information on his foot is coming out ... and his shortness and slowness has surfaced ... I'm not sure we'll get all that we wanted out of a trade down.

Crabtree is overrated. He was the flavor of the year down there in the defenseless Big 12. I also have the distinct feeling he will be a huge prima donna.

During the year I couldn't get anyone interested enough to converse with me about TT's offense. Now all of a sudden, all these fans are filling me in at how good Crabtree was because Kiper has him #1. I watched 5 of their games and I'll bet I've seen more of him than anyone on this board. He's GOOD but I think ALOT of that was the conference he played in and the genious he played for.

You put him on our team last year and it's like askign someone to accomplish something significant durign an Iraqi Fire Drill. Not gonna happen. He needs the RIGHT system, coach, QB and compliments at WR. If he runs his forties as fast/slow as Kellen Winslow - we already have Kellen Winslow right?

If people SAW TT's offense they'd see Leach ran a 4 WR spread which enabled him to get his best WR (Crabtree) vrs the most favorable matchups. HOW can you double 1 guy in those formations? Unfortunately for Leach, he once worked for Stoops at Oklahoma so GUESS what Crabtree did vrs them? Let's just say at halftime the score was 42-7 and Crabtree had 2 harmless catches for 28 yards and no TDs. Stoops was the only guy in that conference that rolled their coverages in his direction BUT they were also the team most able to harass Harrell.

I think in the Ole Miss Bowl Game his first catch was a short TD right before half but he wasn't even the best offensive player on the field in THAT game. They weren't the least bit phased by Crabtree. If you put Percy Harvin in Crabtree's spot vrs those cruddy Big 12 defenses - well theyd be just as overwhelmed as Oklahoma found him. Speed kills and it counts. FORGET stonehands Hubbard people - he's in the same category as Mike Oliphant so let's outsource him for a football player with speed. Harvin averaged 13 TDs a year without playing a senior season and his coach thought he was good enough to use as a WR AND a RB. He'll be a WR in the pros and if the kid bench presses 450 pounds with the same speed as Joey Galloway - he might make a betetr first round pick than Crabtree. Aloy has made me aware there are some character flaws with Harvin but he's not the one people are talkign about as the 1st WR to be drafted. In addition, Crabtree is going to have a MAJOR adjustment where now he CAN get doubled in a league that plays defense with bigger, faster, stronger. The kid started out at 6'4" before they set it straight allegedly at 6'3" and change to now he's 6'1."

IMO, this stress fracture is a blessing because now he won't have the signing bonus telling him he has nothing to prove. He'll drop to a better team which will give him the kick in the pants to WANT to prove everyone wrong and someone will get a pretty m.otivated player. I'll go to my grave saying there's always something special about the guy that wants to prove alot of people wrong. Fire in the belly gives the performance some jelly.

- Tom F.

Archived