THE BROWNS BOARD

talent evaluation

CLEVELandMILIDH

James Walker article on ESPN.com

Before the end of the regular season, the Browns hired an independent firm to do a study on the team's roster. A major question was how many players on Cleveland's roster could start for all 32 teams in the NFL?

According to the study, the firm came to the conclusion that just four players -- nose tackle Shaun Rogers, left tackle Joe Thomas, tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. and receiver Braylon Edwards -- had enough talent to start for all 32 teams. It was one reason the Browns let go of general manager Phil Savage, who spent four years putting the team together.

James Walker article on ESPN.com

Before the end of the regular season, the Browns hired an independent firm to do a study on the team's roster. A major question was how many players on Cleveland's roster could start for all 32 teams in the NFL?

According to the study, the firm came to the conclusion that just four players -- nose tackle Shaun Rogers, left tackle Joe Thomas, tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. and receiver Braylon Edwards -- had enough talent to start for all 32 teams. It was one reason the Browns let go of general manager Phil Savage, who spent four years putting the team together.

That is a little misleading...

If you are saying they could start for ALL 32 teams...that means that they are either THE BEST or NEAR THE BEST at their position. It doesn't mean they aren't starters.

What if they could start for 30 teams? Does that make them scrubs?

Anyway...I have to agree that we are not as deep in talent as we need to be...but that study is a little odd.

i was thinking the same thing, to start for all 32 teams you would have to be the best at your position. not many teams could boast having more than 1 or 2 of those players. hell aside from troy whatsitspelled i can't think of any other players on the SB winning team that could start for all 32 teams

That is a little misleading...

If you are saying they could start for ALL 32 teams...that means that they are either THE BEST or NEAR THE BEST at their position. It doesn't mean they aren't starters.

What if they could start for 30 teams? Does that make them scrubs?

Anyway...I have to agree that we are not as deep in talent as we need to be...but that study is a little odd.

I think that was just a generalization of were the talent level is. I dont think Joe thomas is the best left takle in the league nor is Braylon Edwards. But comparing them to the best in the league there could be an argument that there of that caliber

Guest Aloysius

I think the point is one that Inspecta & others made: Savage hadn't had enough success as a talent evaluator for Lerner to excuse his poor management skills and rough-edged personality. That's why Lerner used the "all 32 teams" standard: though I think you're taking it too literally, the point was to hold Savage to a high talent evaluation standard because he was so weak in other areas.

Look at Chargers GM AJ Smith as an example: he's a total jerk, but his success insulates him from any trouble. In his first two drafts, Smith brought in Philip Rivers, Michael Turner, Shawne Merriman, and Luis Castillo - those four would fulfill the "all 32 teams" standard. On top of that, he brought in Shaun Phillips, Igor Olshansky, Darren Sproles, and Vincent Jackson in those drafts. When you draft like that, you could get caught in bed with the owner's wife & you'd still keep your job.

Savage didn't have that kind of success, and that's why he's gone.

Most teams have rosters full of guys that would not start for all 32 teams.. This is a joke.. That's like saying WR Steve Smith for the Panthers sucks just because he could not be a starter in Arizona. Or Drew Breese sucks because he would not start if he played for the Colts... just stupid.... I can think of teams the 4 guys listed that they would not start.. so that is saying NONE of our guys could start on all teams.. Winslow would not start over Jason Witten, Joe Thomas would not start over Walter Jones, Sean Rogers would not start over Albert Haynesworth, Braylon is not going to start over Andre Johnson... so we have ZERO... again this is a totally stupid way to evaluate team talent..

not really. let's use the vikings as an example of a middling, pissant team. they've got steve hutchinson, adrian peterson, the williams tackles, jared allen, bryant mckinnie and antoine winfield. they also had matt birk this past season, who could start for anyone, and ej henderson and darren sharper could start for most if not all teams. that's seven still on the roster with eight this past season and likely ten.

the point isn't that anyone should have a roster of all-stars, it's that ours isn't up to par with what other teams have.

not really. let's use the vikings as an example of a middling, pissant team. they've got steve hutchinson, adrian peterson, the williams tackles, jared allen, bryant mckinnie and antoine winfield. they also had matt birk this past season, who could start for anyone, and ej henderson and darren sharper could start for most if not all teams. that's seven still on the roster with eight this past season and likely ten.

the point isn't that anyone should have a roster of all-stars, it's that ours isn't up to par with what other teams have.

Great point Jewdago, I really believe what this is saying is how many of our players would start for most NFL teams and its sad but true that only a handful of our guys would start other places.

I believe IMO this article sheds light for those on this board who for some reason have overrated the talent on this team, and I have posted this many times this team was 4-12 because we don't have that many good players and yet people want to blame injuries and Crennel.

The roster Mangini inherits is made up of a bunch of guys that are adequate NFL players but not All Star or as I like to say impact type players/PLAYMAKERS

The article also mentioned that 60% of our cap dollars are tied up on the offensive side of the ball and lets face it guys this offense as we speak today is not going to put fear into many teams, we have 2 guys on offense Edwards and Winslow who are much better than average NFL players and Joe Thomas on the offensive line so thats 3 offensive players who are much better than the average NFL player at there position and a bunch of mediocre players and on defense its Rogers and thats it, I know people will talk about all the tackles D'Qwell Jackson made but D'Qwell today is not a top 5 inside linebacker in the NFL. And for those of you who will say Eric Steinbach we are talking about a guy who is not a very good run blocking guard but very good in pass protection which is why he would only start for about 70% of the teams in the league

I have asked the question numerous times, who on this team is a big difference maker and can turn a game around with one or 2 plays a game and other than Cribbs as a return man we don't have one other than Edwards when he's the Braylon not dropping passes and on defense other than Rogers we have nobody. I can't believe the people who actually think we are fine at cornerback with Wright and McDonald I question what games were you watching, for sure Mangini will bring in a few corners and look for one to replace McDonald for sure and don't be surprised if we have 2 new starting corners in 09 with Brodney Pool moving to strong safety and we signing a veteran free saftey.

This is why the #5 selection in this draft is so important, we have to get a guy that makes plays consistantly, create turnovers or scores touchdowns or causes fumbles or gets sacks and pressures, and I know Aloy loves Aaron Curry but I am sorry if Curry is there at 5 I don't draft him he will be a good solid players( guy had 8 sacks in his career playing in a weak ACC) but what this team needs more than anything are PLAYMAKERS and IMO the only playmakers in this draft are Crabtree#1, Macklin#2, Rey Rey#3, Percy Harvin#4 and Knowshon Moreno #5 and all those guys other than Crabtree you can trade down to acquire

Most teams have rosters full of guys that would not start for all 32 teams.. This is a joke.. That's like saying WR Steve Smith for the Panthers sucks just because he could not be a starter in Arizona. Or Drew Breese sucks because he would not start if he played for the Colts... just stupid.... I can think of teams the 4 guys listed that they would not start.. so that is saying NONE of our guys could start on all teams.. Winslow would not start over Jason Witten, Joe Thomas would not start over Walter Jones, Sean Rogers would not start over Albert Haynesworth, Braylon is not going to start over Andre Johnson... so we have ZERO... again this is a totally stupid way to evaluate team talent..

They may not start in place of those players but I guarantee they will start at some position. You cant name a team in the NFL that anyone of these guys wouldnt start. Joe Thomas if not at left tackle i guarantee can start for any team at right tackle. Braylon Edwards if not a #1 will definently start at 2. Jason witten over Kellen Winslow, thats a joke, k2's the beast tight-end in football bar none. Then Shaun Rogers what team couldnt find a place for him on the D-line

I see it the same as JD sees it...our team isnt up to par with the average teeams of the league position by position..

Archived