THE BROWNS BOARD

DA to the Jets

WPB Dawg Fan

As many of us have talked about...with Favre out of the picture the Jets are in the running for another QB....is DA the perfect fit?

Cleveland Browns and New York Jets: A Match Trade in Heaven?

by John Arend (Contributor)

So the Browns are reportedly shopping Derek Anderson. At least one analyst at ESPN has even go so far as to say the Browns will be looking for at least a second-round pick for the quarterback. I think it's pretty safe to say that a second-rounder is probably the high trade value for Anderson right now though.

Actually, Anderson is a perplexing problem for the Browns. He has shown signs of inconsistency and mental lapses, but these are things that can be drilled in order to fix. He has the arm strength and athleticism to be a great quarterback if his problems can be limited.

So who might be willing to take a chance on this guy when the Browns are reportedly asking so much. In the matter of about 48 hours, the New York Jets have become a great possibility.

As of a few days ago, the Jets were reportedly estimated to be above the 2009 NFL salary cap. Seeing as the NFL cap rule is a strict rule and not a guideline as in MLB and the NBA, the Jets had to find a way to make space or risk being fined or lose draft picks.

Yesterday, the Jets released defensive back David Barrett to put them slightly under the projected 2009 cap. Today, Brett Favre has told the team he will retire thus taking his $13 million contract off the books. This puts the Jets at about $15 million under the salary cap.

Author Poll

Would this be a match trade in heaven?

Now, what does that have to do with the Jets interest in DA? Eric Mangini was said to be the only one in the Jets organization to be against the Brett Favre trade. He was much more comfortable with the game-management style quarterback, than Brett's gun-slinger mentality. Many of Derek Anderson's critics have said that he is much like a young Brett Favre who made a lot of mistakes, but made up for them with athleticism.

Not only does this not bode well for DA staying in Cleveland, seeing as Mangini was recently hired by the Browns, but it also increases New York's likelihood of wanting DA. Rex Ryan, the new head coach of the Jets, recently even told Favre he'd like him to stay with the team. So now the Jets even have a head coach who likes the gunslinger mentality.

Okay, so we have the motives for the move, what about the means? Remember that DA is due a $5 million bonus in March whether he is cut or retained by the Browns. The only way for the Browns to avoid investing this money in the quarterback is if they trade him to a team willing to take on paying the bonus and taking the cap hit. Now that the Jets have made about $15 million of space, they have the room to make the trade.

What about that second-round draft pick the Browns are asking for? Well, the Browns are currently without picks in the third, fifth, and seventh rounds and the Jets have picks in every round and an extra fourth round pick. Seeing as the Browns only have a few weeks before they'll owe Anderson his bonus, they'll probably be willing to concede to a third round pick or even a lower pick package of some sort.

In fact, a lower pick plus a player maybe the best route for both teams. The Browns are in need of depth at every position and have glaring holes at many starter spots. The Jets have their own weaknesses on the roster, but lack the cap space to do much about it. Since trading for DA would take away at least $5-million in cap space, they might want to trade away a higher-paid under-performing player in order to make room for the quarterback's salary. The change of scenery could help both Anderson and whoever the Jets would choose to trade.

So are the Browns and Jets a match trade in heaven? Maybe not a perfect match, but the possibility is there.

this guy really makes some sense on this.

As many of us have talked about...with Favre out of the picture the Jets are in the running for another QB....is DA the perfect fit?

this guy really makes some sense on this.

Good article. Thanks, John.

I think the biggest question still remains how confident our new regime is in Quinn. If they've seen/heard enough (especially from Romeo) to think he has a real chance to be a legit NFL QB, then DA really does become expendable.

But if Romeo is telling them something else about Quinn and ManKok decides we don't actually KNOW who are QB is?

Then DA will be a Brown, whether we like it or not.

The Jets won't go after DA.....They are going to go after Sanchez in round 1.

I think that would be a slighlty better move. :rolleyes:

Do you really think Sanchez will be available at 17?

Considering he is either the #1 or #2 QB on the board and you have:

Detroit

Kansas City

San Francisco

ahead of them....and then you have Minnesota, Chicago, Tampa all in the same area of the draft...

Besides, the Jets need LB/CB/DE's for their 3-4 defense...so that will likely be the #1 priority over a QB at that position...especially if they can get an experienced guy with their round 2 pick.

I think it all depends on how high the Jets are on Cleamons. They seemed to like what he brought to the table when he started 8 games in place of a injured Pennington in 2007.

But, I could see bringing in a veteran like Anderson and let them compete over drafting a rookie and maybe not having a NFL ready QB to start the season.

Guest Aloysius

Sanchez's arm strength isn't ideal for Schottenheimer's vertical offense or throwing into the wind at the Meadowlands. Won't necessarily stop them from taking Sanchez, but I think it makes them less likely to fork over a ton of picks for him.

On the DA possibility, here's Adam Schefter:

If New York decides to trade for a quarterback, the most logical one is Cleveland’s Derek Anderson. For starters, Anderson has the most attractive contractual situation of any veteran quarterback. He is due a $5 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the league year, which is about a month from now. He signed a three-year, $24.5 million deal last year that still has two seasons remaining on it.

Beyond the contract are the relationships. Browns coach Eric Mangini and Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum have enough of a relationship that the two men could work out a deal. Also, Jets coach Rex Ryan worked with Anderson in Baltimore, before the Ravens released him.

If the Jets were to trade for a quarterback, the most logical candidate is Anderson. But Clemens and Ratliff cannot be dismissed from the competition, either.

I think it all depends on how high the Jets are on Cleamons. They seemed to like what he brought to the table when he started 8 games in place of a injured Pennington in 2007.

But, I could see bringing in a veteran like Anderson and let them compete over drafting a rookie and maybe not having a NFL ready QB to start the season.

No way. Clemens was a real disappointment and that is why they went after Favre. Clemens threw 5 TD's to 10 INT's and had a rating of 60. He is a career back up at best.

I think teams on the verge of being good will take a look at what Flacco did with the Ravens this year and will not hesitate to go after a kid that could come in and start.....As long as he has a good supporting staff... And the Jets are not weak.

They HAVE to do something at QB.

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, I think the argument for Clemens is that no one could have succeeded behind that o-line (they'd just traded away Pete Kendall, had a scrub at RT, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson was struggling to keep his weight above 300 lbs.).

But he hasn't shown anything that would make you think, "Franchise QB". Brett Ratliff outplayed him in training camp last year.

Where the hell is Lumfreddy at?

I'm pretty sure he's plotting this guy's murder.

You guys are dreaming. Browns fans aren't the only people in the world to watch how awful of a QB DA is. Seriously, he is that bad. They can draw as much hype as they want, nobody wants him.

Sanchez's arm strength isn't ideal for Schottenheimer's vertical offense or throwing into the wind at the Meadowlands. Won't necessarily stop them from taking Sanchez, but I think it makes them less likely to fork over a ton of picks for him.

On the DA possibility, here's Adam Schefter:

Since being in New York, Schotts QB's have been closer to the bottom of the league in yards passing per attempts. I always thought he liked the shorter pasing game.

During the two years he had Pennington that's all they did was dink and dunk. Favre's yards per attempt was exactly the same as Pennington's the year before.

Pennington, who has one of the worst arms in the league, had four or five very successful years playing in windy New York. Sanchez's arm is twice that of Pennigton's!

That windy stuff is overrated. Cleveland's old Municple stadium was famous for it's winds and look what a fairly weak armed Bernie did all those years! Look what an even weaker armed Brian Sipe did! Fran Tarkenton in Minnesota! Joe Montana in San Fran! The list goes on and on.

I would LOVE to be sitting where San Fran is and try and get NY's second rounder to move down a few spots...San Fran would get picks 17, 43 and 53 instead of just 10 and 43. In this extremely deep draft I'd do that in a hartbeat if the Jets would give up their #2 to move up.

Do you really think Sanchez will be available at 17?

Considering he is either the #1 or #2 QB on the board and you have:

Detroit

Kansas City

San Francisco

ahead of them....and then you have Minnesota, Chicago, Tampa all in the same area of the draft...

Besides, the Jets need LB/CB/DE's for their 3-4 defense...so that will likely be the #1 priority over a QB at that position...especially if they can get an experienced guy with their round 2 pick.

Nope, I don't think he'll last until #17. I think the Jets will work to move up. Why would they want to pay Anderson's big Salary and lose a draft pick to get him when they can lose a draft pick and get a much more talented Sanchez cheaper?

I'd give up my second round pick to move up to get Sanchez before I'd give up my third to get Anderson!!! And they save a lot of cash too! It's a no brainer.

I'm pretty sure he's plotting this guy's murder.

Queen's next..........it's just a matter of time before we hear of some crazy shit how a DA stalker with hiking boots, flannel shirt and Tonya Harding tattoo was last seen fleeing the scene jamming some Air Supply.

Guest Aloysius
Since being in New York, Schotts QB's have been closer to the bottom of the league in yards passing per attempts. I always thought he liked the shorter pasing game.

During the two years he had Pennington that's all they did was dink and dunk. Favre's yards per attempt was exactly the same as Pennington's the year before.

You could be right. My impression is that Schottenheimer is more of a Turner disciple, but Mangini did say that they incorporated some WCO elements into the offense. It could be that he dinked and dunked because Pennington's got a weak arm, and it does look like Favre's YPA went way down after he hurt his arm (stats here). Could be that it's all about Schottenheimer having the right QB.

Pennington, who has one of the worst arms in the league, had four or five very successful years playing in windy New York. Sanchez's arm is twice that of Pennigton's!

That windy stuff is overrated. Cleveland's old Municple stadium was famous for it's winds and look what a fairly weak armed Bernie did all those years! Look what an even weaker armed Brian Sipe did! Fran Tarkenton in Minnesota! Joe Montana in San Fran! The list goes on and on.

I think Todd McShay said today that Sanchez's arm is "slightly better" than Pennington's. He said that Sanchez wouldn't rate in the top 5 QB prospects in terms of arm strength.

Pennington did succeed in New York, but there were always questions about whether they could make all the throws in that stadium. Maybe it's an exaggerated issue, but it's something that a team looking for a franchise QB could take into account.

I don't think Sanchez gets past San Fran. Don't count our Cleamons as the Jets QB. They may just bring in a veteran to compete with him.

I can see Anderson in NY before I see them spending their #1 pick on him.

IMO, I don't think QB is their biggest need.

It's funny how a weak armed Pennington was the X-factor for the Jets then for Miami.

I think everyone puts WAY to much stock in arm strength when evaluating qbs.

You've got to look at the whole package.

Leadership.

Accuracy. (part of throwing mechanics)

Catchability. (you can combine it with accuracy if you want, they go hand in hand, another part of throwing mechanics)

Ability to read a defensive coverage and anticipate openings or audibling to those openings.

Arm strength.

Mobility. (be able to move around the pocket so his oline can get in place for blocks)

Pennington could probably throw a ball further than anyone here. Sure it was "weak" in comparison to other qb's but it was enough. He made up for a perceived weakness by excelling in the other mentioned attributes.

I'd take Pennington over DA any day of the week and draft Pennington over the big arms.

Now if NY is willing to cough up a 2nd for less than what they got rid of then I'd be all over that.

I think Todd McShay said today that Sanchez's arm is "slightly better" than Pennington's. He said that Sanchez wouldn't rate in the top 5 QB prospects in terms of arm strength.

Wow... Where is McShay coming up with that comparison? Tell me please that McShay was referring to Pennington's arm when he came out of school and not Pennington's arm today.

Today there is no comparison between Sanchez's arm and Pennington's arm....It's laughable to even suggest Sanchez's arm is only a bit better than Pennington's.

I'm going to check but I thought I remember reading in various scouting reports that Sanchez has good velocity combined with a quick release and this is one of the things that makes him so special.

I know he doesn't have a 'Gun'....But he's not Chad Pennington!

Man, arm strength discussions are interesting. It was commonly said in L.A. that Sanchez has Carson Palmer arm strength, way more than Leinart or Booty. Odd how it went down so much (!). He has a big-time NFL arm.

That's what I thought I remembered reading a long time ago about Sanchez.

I agree that discussions about arm strength are interesting too. I truly think arm strength is so overrated. There are just too many Qb's throughout history that had supposedly weak arms and had wonderful careers....The greatest being Montana.

But then we see guys like Dorsey this year and realize that being weak armed can be a real problem too.

Good thing the Browns don't have that problem huh...

Our QB is ready to put up them numbers........2 starts and shelved for the season....

Archived