THE BROWNS BOARD

2014 Week 1 Game Impressions: Browns @ Steelers

Tour2ma

Of course you don't try that 54 yard FG. You miss it, and the squeelers

have a great chance to move a bit and get their own FG.

It's the first game, and the Browns weren't ready for primetime until the second half.

Wait til the next few games when they really get it right.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be excited if Gordon returns... :ph34r: He'd make us pretty dangerous, especially paired with Hawkins and Benjamin... Austin looks too slow.

Austin is more of a possession receiver now...

The longest made FG in history at condiment field is 52 yards so you're expecting Cundiff who isn't known for his long range ability anyways, to make one equal to the longest in the history of that stadium? I think the coach made the right choice. If the special teams guys don't fuck it up, the Steelers start inside the one and I'm willing to bet it's a different finish.

No, not expecting Cundiff to make it, just stating that Suisham sucks, so using him as a gauge isn't the best measuring tool.

Of course you don't try that 54 yard FG. You miss it, and the squeelers

have a great chance to move a bit and get their own FG.

It's the first game, and the Browns weren't ready for primetime until the second half.

Wait til the next few games when they really get it right.

My hunch is the correct play is to go for it on 4th and 7 from the 35.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/4thdncalc1.php

This is a neat tool to use for 4th down calls. Cool site too.

Of course its not perfect, but it creates a good baseline to make decisions. It has Browns 50% to win by going for it and 53% to win on either kick decision. Obviously, you need to factor in conditions like it being tough to make a FG there. But it looks like punt is ok there according to these numbers.

There's no way going for the FG is the best decision in that situation. Cundiff is pretty rubbish from over 50 yards - you trap the steelers on the 1, and the game is at worst tied. Special teams mess up what should be an easy down at the 1 yard line.

There's no way going for the FG is the best decision in that situation. Cundiff is pretty rubbish from over 50 yards - you trap the steelers on the 1, and the game is at worst tied. Special teams mess up what should be an easy down at the 1 yard line.

This. It was a good punt, poorly executed down the field. I'd rather have them have to drive the length of the field than give it to them near mid field.

The way our defense was playing in that 2nd half, pinning them at the one seemed most logical.

My hunch is the correct play is to go for it on 4th and 7 from the 35.

Interesting third alternative that honestly never occurred to me. Given the way the drive had stalled would have been a tough call to make, but what 4th down and more than three call with a game on the line is easy?

Would have been nice if we paid that man.

I used to think this too, but I try to tell myself that really it's not the right way to go. I'd rather have players that help win the game by TDs, not FGs. Relying on Dawson to kick 50+ yarders just to get points on the board got you through the moment but was not the answer long term. Would it be nice to have best of both worlds? Sure, but if I have to pick one or the other...

I agree it was best to punt. Recall last year vs Patriots when Cundiff tried a 50+ yarder and although it looked accurate, it fell short. I think that would've been the repeat, at best.

My impressions were this: Brian Hoyer was the right choice and there should be no more controversy going forward.

Isiah Crowell should be the feature back in short order

Yes. Johnny will just have to wait his turn. As for Crowell....definitely a diamond in the rough. West looked good too.

good comeback...but not a great one....great ones are when you come from behind and win....hopefully they will play the whole next game the way they played the 2nd half of the last game.....the hurry up offense definitely took the steelers defense by surprise...they didn't handle it well at all....the good news is the browns came real close to wining....the bad news is the browns came real close to winning....the browns don't need anymore bad news...

good comeback...but not a great one....great ones are when you come from behind and win....hopefully they will play the whole next game the way they played the 2nd half of the last game.....the hurry up offense definitely took the steelers defense by surprise...they didn't handle it well at all....the good news is the browns came real close to wining....the bad news is the browns came real close to winning....the browns don't need anymore bad news...

The bolded bears repeating! The hurry up was run pretty damn good, and it shows they are capable of running it effectively! If they're smart they keep it going!

Bingo!

Cundiff is a paltry 7 of 25 (28%) on field goal attempts that are 50+ yards.

Other than the first half, the only real headshake moments were abandoning the run on the final drive, and the several roll out plays going opposite of Hoyers throwing arm.

I'm just saying. If you don't have a kicker who can make a 54-yarder to go ahead in the 4th quarter, you need to find a new kicker. Considering Cundiff sucks, it was a good call, but if we had a guy like Dawson (in his day) or the Denver kicker (before his suspension) we'd have had the lead, and they'd have had the same field position, and we'd be up 3 points...

It wasn't the only factor, but scoring points when you can is what great teams do. Even if that means converting go-ahead field goals, not just TDs...

This is a fair point about the kicker. Punting though based on who we have, his stats, the field history and the D's performance in the 2nd half punting was the right call. Special teams screwed us on the uncovered gunner. That was likely Gilbert who screwed us enough yesterday to call it an orgy.

Archived