THE BROWNS BOARD

Jake Grove?

Guest mz.

Looks like Raiders C Jake Grove is filing for free agency.

I thought I read somewhere that our new O-Line coach will bring some zone blocking elements with him. If true, Rotoworld's guys think Grove would make a decent pickup.

via here.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Looks like the Dolphins are going to sign him.

My impression was that Grove was only a good fit for an athletic zone-blocking scheme. But considering that the Dolphins are in the market for a center because Samson Satele proved incapable of handling 3-4 NT's (Vince Wilfork just toyed with the poor guy), Bill Parcells must think Grove is plenty strong.

Perhaps the real reason we didn't pursue Grove is because Mangini wants a young pivot man, just like when he drafted Nick Mangold in New York. And now that we have two second round picks, getting a young, promising center in the draft is a very strong possibility.

Looks like the Dolphins are going to sign him.

My impression was that Grove was only a good fit for an athletic zone-blocking scheme. But considering that the Dolphins are in the market for a center because Samson Satele proved incapable of handling 3-4 NT's (Vince Wilfork just toyed with the poor guy), Bill Parcells must think Grove is plenty strong.

Perhaps the real reason we didn't pursue Grove is because Mangini wants a young pivot man, just like when he drafted Nick Mangold in New York. And now that we have two second round picks, getting a young, promising center in the draft is a very strong possibility.

I think you are absolutely right. Young blood at half the cost. There may be two or three of the top four centers available when we pick in the second round. And that doesn't cound Shipley who can be had later, but he's a gamble.

Guest Aloysius

When Kokinis spoke at the combine, he said that whatever linemen we bring in have to be smart enough to read and react to the complex 3-4 defenses in our division, as well as possess the size & strength to battle big d-lineman in blustery Northeast Ohio weather.

The intelligence part probably elevates guys like Alex Mack and Antoine Caldwell on our board; both of those guys are smart, good locker room types who'll immediately become leaders on the o-line.

The strength part, unfortunately, eliminates Max Unger. Though I love how well the big man moves, he really struggled against B.J. Raji and Ron Brace at the Senior Bowl practices. In a zone-blocking system, he could be an elite player. With us, it'd be like lining up a less technique-savvy Eric Steinbach at center.

Archived