Breaking down new coaches' chances of winning in '09

WPB Dawg Fan

Don Banks breaks down the teams with new coaches:

New Coaches

Here is the blurb on the Browns:

Ready to win from day one

1. Indianapolis

2. New York Jets

3. Cleveland -- I talked to one league observer this week who believes Eric Mangini is temperamentally a much better fit in Cleveland than he was under the unforgiving bright lights of New York, and that will translate into a decent shot of having early success. I tend to agree the intense, ultra-focused Mangini will bring a sense of discipline and diligence to a Browns team that was a chaotic mess last season, just as he quickly injected the Jets with renewed purpose as a rookie head coach in 2006.

Mangini should also benefit from inheriting a defense whose players were picked to suit the 3-4 formation he runs. After all, Mangini has experience at taking over a Romeo Crennel defense and winning with it, just as he did in New England in 2005. We're also counting on Mangini's New York tenure to teach him something about what does and doesn't work in the NFL. Our gut tells us he'll be a better, more seasoned head coach this time, with a better radar for separating the important from the non-essential parts of the job. It doesn't hurt a bit that he and Browns owner Randy Lerner already have a well-formed friendship.

I tend to think that Mangini and his discipline are just what the doctor ordered here in Cleveland. Not sure it will translate to more than 8 wins this coming season...but it should show definite improvement right away.

Don Banks breaks down the teams with new coaches:

New Coaches

Here is the blurb on the Browns:

I tend to think that Mangini and his discipline are just what the doctor ordered here in Cleveland. Not sure it will translate to more than 8 wins this coming season...but it should show definite improvement right away.

I completely agree the mangini/kokinis team is exactly what the browns need and the first round of 7 useless players cut was textbook perfect the second round will likely be more intense perhaps even angering to some fans and media alike but its becoming clear the mankok team can evaluate player talent and seem to know exactly what they want and dont want...;)

7-8 wins with at least one against the steelers would float my boat!

Archived