THE BROWNS BOARD

Israeli elections

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
Exit polls: Livni's Kadima leads in 2009 elections

Exit polls by Israel's three main television stations on Tuesday night showed Kadima as the leader in the 2009 general elections, with Likud coming a narrow second.

Channel 1, Channel 2 and Channel 10 polling of voters as they left the ballot box all pointed to victory for Kadima, headed by Tzipi Livni.

The Channel 1 poll gave Kadima 30 seats, Likud 28 seats, and Labor 13 seats. Yisrael Beiteinu is predicted to win 14 seats, according to the poll.

According to the Channel 2 poll, Kadima will hold 29 seats, Likud will take 27 seats and Labor 13 seats. Yisrael Beiteinu will have 15 seats in the new Knesset.

The Channel 10 poll indicated that Likud will take 28 seats, Kadima will hold 30 seats and Labor 13 seats. Yisrael Beiteinu will have 15 seats.

Guest Aloysius
Netanyahu: I will be the next prime minister of Israel

As results from Israel's general elections began trickling in late Tuesday, the two front-runners - Kadima Chairwoman Tzipi Livni and Likud Chairman Benjamin Netanyahu - both proclaimed themselves to be the next choice for premiership.

Netanyahu, whose Likud party scored fewer than its opponent with 27 and 28 seats in exit polls, said: "I will be the next prime minister of Israel."

Livni, whose centrist party scored between 29 and 30 seats in television exit polls, meanwhile praised the results, saying: "Israel has chosen Kadima."

Exit polls on three Israeli television channels showed Kadima retaining around its present 29 seats in the 120-seat, single-chamber Knesset, with Likud two seats behind. At Kadima's campaign headquarters, Livni supporters cheered and danced.

However, some analysts noted that soldiers, whose votes could account for a couple of seats, had not been counted in exit polls and that could favour Netanyahu as tallying continues through into Wednesday.

One television station put the right-left split at 64 seats for the right to 56 for the left, which could deny Livni the premiership and persuade President Shimon Peres to ask Netanyahu to try to form a coalition government.

Guest Aloysius

Looks like Netanyahu will be forming a narrow coalition of right-wing parties. Yisrael Beiteinu is one of those parties, and it's increasingly popular. The party ran on a campaign slogan of "No citizenship without trust," geared towards demonizing Israeli Arabs. Yisrael Beiteinu's platform calls for Israel to strip the Arabs living in the northern Galilee region of citizenship, along with a unilateral annexation of the major settlement blocs in the West Bank (Lieberman, though not a religious fundamentalist, lives in a West Bank settlement).

YB is also a Russian ethnic party, and Lieberman has his own Putinesque ties to corruption and extreme views on executive power. He also caused a diplomatic crisis by saying that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak should go to hell.

Just a not a good dude to give any power to. He used to work as a bouncer in a nightclub, and that's the kind of demeanor he brings to Israeli politics.

Lieberman, though not a religious fundamentalist, lives in a West Bank settlement.

He used to work as a bouncer in a nightclub, and that's the kind of demeanor he brings to Israeli politics.

I get angry every single time I think of these settlers. Giving this guy any power sounds like a terrible thing.

I was hoping Livni who is a centrist would win, I suppose this is not over yet but with Lieberman being the king maker and his obvious ultra right wing ideas it looks like Hard liner Netanyahu is going to win.

I am curious at how Obama/Biden/Clinton who are far more centrist toward Palestinion Statehood are going to deal with Bush/Putin like leadership out of Israel.

In some ways this might be beneficial toward our Arab relations if Obama starts pushing Against Israel and more for the Palestinions. This really could define Obama international political direction and reputation.

Diehard you should care about these elections if you care about our service people serving in that theatre. Depending on who takes power there definately is going to affect how we are percieved in the middle east which could help some justify increased attacks against us or take away and possibly ease our issues in that region.

I am curious at how Obama/Biden/Clinton who are far more centrist toward Palestinion Statehood are going to deal with Bush/Putin like leadership out of Israel.

In some ways this might be beneficial toward our Arab relations if Obama starts pushing Against Israel and more for the Palestinions. This really could define Obama international political direction and reputation.

This will no doubt sour US-Israeli relations if Obama, et al. as as centrist as they claim to be about Palestinian Statehood. Problem is, I don't see Obama being aggressive with this hard line Israeli gov't and expect business as usual...

I dont know mz the pussy there would be a lot of Arab perception gain if he does go hardline against leaders who actually want to expand West bank settlements and take away citizenship from Arab Israeli's.

Saber rattling agaisnt Iran and someone like Netanyahu who would not hesistate to first strike against Iran will only inflame Afghanistani's/Iranians/Iraq' and Pakistanians all whom IF Obama wants to be successful in the middle east he needs working relationships with.

Lets be realistic we dont "need" Israel like say we need the Saudi's. A PR move (even though militarily we will still support Israel) against hardliners would not really hurt us in any meaningful way.

Guest Aloysius

President Obama's not going to push Netanyahu to the bargaining table, nor is he going to reassess our relationship with Israel. He may give Netanyahu the cold shoulder in a way that hurts him politically, but that's about it.

So I wonder.

To those here who are opposed to the "right wingers" what exactly would you do if it were your choice?

Would you give back all the teritory won before?

Split Jerusalem?

What all would you give the Palistinians?

Do you think that would make the rest of the Arab world happy?

If it did not how then do you proceed?

WSS

Guest Aloysius

There are more immediate steps to be taken before you even get to discussions of final status negotiations, such as:

• End all settlement expansion, even the "natural growth" of existing settlements

• Don't strip Israeli Arabs of their citizenship, which would be an incredibly inflammatory thing to do.

• Pursue a policy of engagement with Syria, which is far more capable at negotiating peace right now than the fragmented Palestinian polity

Israel has a couple of problems Steve, One is that within their own border (not including disputed territory) within the next decade Israeli Jews will be outnumbered by Israeli Arabs in population.

Sooner or later they are going to have to come to grips with LIVING with their neighbors from within and outside. Those right wing expansionist are just as bad as Hamas in some ways. The economic

vice grip they use on the Palestinions is really cruel. Honestly Giving them back their own territories and letting them have statehood with the PLO and leadership Like Abbas is the way for them to achieve Peace.

Hamas is powerful because they give food and money as well as jobs to their people. Take the economic factor and increase non religous education and their influence will die down, not go away but definately

weaken. You cant kill and Ideal or poverty with Missiles and guns, you can however educate and give oppurtunity to the young and old. All of that energy spent on hate could be directed toward commerce ,

Family, education, etc. Right now the Palestinions dont have those options.

Guest Aloysius
Israel has a couple of problems Steve, One is that within their own border (not including disputed territory) within the next decade Israeli Jews will be outnumbered by Israeli Arabs in population.

Actually, it's only when you include the Palestinian Arabs in the West Bank & Gaza that the prediction of Arabs outnumbering Jews by 2020 holds true. That's part of the reason why a Palestinian state is essential if Israel is going to continue being a Jewish & democratic state.

your right, I dont see Israel giving away Gaza or all of the west bank so I see the "disputed" as areas they are more willing to in the West bank bordering syria and the dead seaand or the Golan Heights area bordering Syria I dont see them giving back any land mass that borders on splitting Israel.

So I wonder.

To those here who are opposed to the "right wingers" what exactly would you do if it were your choice?

Would you give back all the teritory won before?

Split Jerusalem?

What all would you give the Palistinians?

Do you think that would make the rest of the Arab world happy?

If it did not how then do you proceed?

WSS

They would hand over the land in a cowardly way and then want to pay Reparations B)

Archived