THE BROWNS BOARD

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every Connor Shaw Snap From Last Night.

4 Man fronts, No Blitz, Against a 3rd/4th String prevent defense.

He looked good, but you need to put the situation into some perspective...

They were actually trying stunts and blitzes against Hoyer and Manziel. Shaw had no such challenges.

Unreal.

You know what? I take it back. Fuck it. If they play him next game and he still excels, why the hell not? I'm rewatching the game and he's the only guy who looks worth a damn right now.

Put little johhny in timeout and let's see what shaw can do. Johhny obviously not ready and shaw looked the part. Granted Jake Delhomme had a 100+ rating in preseason, I just don't care anymore. Can't take year after year of shitty qb play.

I liked the kid when we drafted him and I think he performed admirably.

I wonder how long Grossman would stay on the practice squad, probably not very. Can we hire him as an assistant coach? Then we can re sign him if somebody gets hurt?

WSS

Steve- Grossman is ineligible for the practice squad.

Shaw never got the real respect he should have got in college and the Browns have to play Johnny. Too much money invested. No bullshit with Shaw. He is just like he was at USC quite and studying the play book . Waiting his turn. He has proved he is quicker and more accurate than Manziel. I know it was a short preview but he is a determined winner and that is what the Browns need. If he is cut I can promise he will be picked right up and it will come back to haunt the Browns. What everybody saw last night well what else can I say.... He's Relentless............

I said this earlier in the thread. Shaw looked good enough in the cameo appearance, the odds of him sneaking onto the practice squad are remote.

I changed that statement with Shaw being the best I've seen since

I started following SC sports in 1965. The guy is THAT GOOD. Shaw may not make

the Browns roster, and may not make an NFL roster, but it won't be for lack of heart.

I do hope Connor can make an NFL roster. The guy deserves to continue his dream,

but if he doesn't make it, he will be successful in whatever he does in life. He's that

kind of character, and has already told Gamecock nation that if it doesn't pan out

in the NFL, he's going to join the Military. You have a special kind of talent and

individual there in Connor Shaw. Hope he continues to impress you all the way he's

impressed SC for four seasons now.

Pretty sure he's made some NFL roster- I hope it's the Browns.

Kurt Warner was an Undrafted Free Agent....

And Superbowl MVP... ;)

Shhhhh...... You'll get the JF fans mad. That doesn't happen, ya know. Might be why they don't like UDFA Brian Hoyer. Those UFAs can't be any good. FWIW Tony Romo was an UFA too.

They were actually trying stunts and blitzes against Hoyer and Manziel. Shaw had no such challenges.

Good point but at least he was accurate and seemed in command in the 2 min drill.

Good point but at least he was accurate and seemed in command in the 2 min drill.

Which can't be said for the other two- I only saw one uncatchable ball, and compared to Hoyer and Manziel it wasn't that far off target.

Shhhhh...... You'll get the JF fans mad. That doesn't happen, ya know. Might be why they don't like UDFA Brian Hoyer. Those UFAs can't be any good. FWIW Tony Romo was an UFA too.

Did a little research today on Heisman winning QB's.....very eye opening indeed........no agenda, just was curious....here's what I found....

How many QB's have won the Heisman in the last 40 years???......19

How many of these same 19 Heisman winning QB's were drafted in the 1st round???.....8

Of the 8 Heisman winning QB's selected in the 1st round, how many were selected to be game #1 starters???.....3

Of the 3 Heisman winning, first round drafted, game #1 starting QB's, how many have won the Super Bowl???......0

Ok, Ok...hahaha....lets be fair here....

Of the 3 Heisman winning, first round drafted, game #1 starting QB's,how many have at least played in a superbowl????......0

Ok then....lets say they didnt start game one....

How many of ALL the 19 Heisman winning QB's EVER won a Super Bowl???.....0

Ok then....

How many of the whole 19 at least played in a Super Bowl?......0

Gotta back a full 50 years to find the only 2 Heisman winning QB'S who ever played in or won a Super Bowl to date..(Staubach and Plunkett)....

I must say these facts were very surprising to me. But the facts is the facts......

Really.....reading the whole list....Id say there were very few Heisman winners at any position that became true NFL Superstars....there are some, but it's a short list........

Kurt Warner was an Undrafted Free Agent....

And Superbowl MVP... ;)

Yes, we are well aware.

So was Brian Hoyer.

And Johnny Football Heisman cant beat out either of them yet.

Z

You know what? I take it back. Fuck it. If they play him next game and he still excels, why the hell not? I'm rewatching the game and he's the only guy who looks worth a damn right now.

Put little johhny in timeout and let's see what shaw can do. Johhny obviously not ready and shaw looked the part. Granted Jake Delhomme had a 100+ rating in preseason, I just don't care anymore. Can't take year after year of shitty qb play.

Can you imagine the tantrum that Johnny would throw if they actually played him behind Shaw. It would be freaking monumentally entertaining, that I am sure of.

Stockton, how many times do we have to tell you we're entirely cognizant Hoyer could turn into another Zeir or Scott Mitchell three game wonder. However Manziel has had two preseason games to light it up. 79 qbr. Our departed pal Brandon Weeden- Mr. Suckful is checking in with his usual 111 in games that don't count. Derek Anderson is doing even better than that. Johnny isn't exactly impressing the hell out of me- or Hoyer for that matter. Objectively, Shaw looked the best of the three.

Yeah, screw all 8 weeks worth of practice and all the times the coaches have evaluated the position and left Shaw at 3/4....he played well in two thirds of a quarter against a prevent 4th string defense. I mean did you see that Hail Mary!?? I didn't see anyone else do that.

Perfectly reasonable to now think of Shaw as a possible starter. Not weird or dumb at all.

We should keep Shaw on the team as the number 3. Groom him for a couple season and we'll see what we got with him. But seriously, McCoy looked to be the best QB out there last night and I'd take him over Hoyer, Cousins and Shaw to be the backup. Shaw is going to be lucky to see the practice squad. We either keep him on as the backup so that we actually have one once one of these two guys goes down, or we lose him to the wire... he won't make it to the PS.

Yeah, screw all 8 weeks worth of practice and all the times the coaches have evaluated the position and left Shaw at 3/4....he played well in two thirds of a quarter against a prevent 4th string defense. I mean did you see that Hail Mary!?? I didn't see anyone else do that.

Perfectly reasonable to now think of Shaw as a possible starter. Not weird or dumb at all.

Screw what the coaches think unless its not the same opinion as yours. Then the coaches have no football IQ right. Jesus you're a total loss.

Not that long ago you were blabbering about how manziel could walk on water and if you didn't drink the kool aid your were dumb.

Screw what the coaches think unless its not the same opinion as yours. Then the coaches have no football IQ right. Jesus you're a total loss.

Not that long ago you were blabbering about how manziel could walk on water and if you didn't drink the kool aid your were dumb.

Ohhh please show me where I said anything near that.

Infact only person I like to talk about is the ol #6 and how low peoples IQ is who think he's the next great QB. Which is a lot of you here.

Even started a nice long thread about it, that others turned into a Manziel bash because they don't really want to talk about the reality of #6

It's funny, because Manziel was up against the exact same players the drive before and he needed a handful of penalties to drive down the field.

Hm. But...but...but...Manziel is so good!

It's funny, because Manziel was up against the exact same players the drive before and he needed a handful of penalties to drive down the field.

Hm. But...but...but...Manziel is so good!

Once again point to me where I said Manziel is good. Lord knows how many times I've said on here that Manziel might suck. My life on this board is to bring the light to you poor souls who think #6 is the next Warner/Dawson/Sipe...anything more than what he is, which is a decent backup QB.

I even started a thread about it, might want to reread it, it's more relevant now than it was when I wrote it.

Ive said over and over, if you think #6 is a great QB then you don't know football. History will be kind to me on this. I think you're all starting to get it now because now it's going away from "#6 is great just like all these other guys who went undrafted" to "Well Manziel sucks". Nobody is pimping the next Kurt Warner now.

Once again point to me where I said Manziel is good. Lord knows how many times I've said on here that Manziel might suck. My life on this board is to bring the light to you poor souls who think #6 is the next Warner/Dawson/Sipe...anything more than what he is, which is a decent backup QB.

I even started a thread about it, might want to reread it, it's more relevant now than it was when I wrote it.

Ive said over and over, if you think #6 is a great QB then you don't know football. History will be kind to me on this. I think you're all starting to get it now because now it's going away from "#6 is great just like all these other guys who went undrafted" to "Well Manziel sucks". Nobody is pimping the next Kurt Warner now.

And point to me where I've said Hoyer is the next Warner/Dawson/Sipe. The only comparisons I've drawn, if any, have been that those QB's also weren't high profile draft picks or even draft picks at all.

I've said over and over, if you think #6 is so bad, why has #2 failed to take the starting job from him? Recent history will be kind to me on this...neither of them have proven to be quality quarterbacks so far and the only one who's even shown that he wants the job has been Shaw.

That's not claiming that Shaw will be a great NFL QB. I am not saying that. Don't get all huffy and starting putting words in my mouth, like you are want to do.

What I am saying is that Shaw proved he has a handle on the playbook. Couple that with the fact he was wildly efficient at S.Car and that he's faster than Manziel, and I believe he's at least earned the right to play for a backup position rather than a practice squad designation...a designation that would see him stolen from us on waivers.

Hoyer and Manziel have been garbage. Give Shaw the chance to prove something with some starting players next week. Get him in before the half. Give him 30 plays. Let's see what we have going on elsewhere.

Shaw with starting players?

Am I taking crazy pills? This has to be some kind of joke on my behalf right? No way does anyone actually think Shaw needs to be in the starters mix right?!?? All because of the two drives he got in the 2nd preseason game? Nobody is that daft to think that matters right? This has to be a joke.

Every Connor Shaw Snap From Last Night.

Ok, I'll give you those things. But here's the positive things that I personally see that are there regardless of the scheme or personnel:

Sharpness and Accuracy of passes. Check.

Quick Release. Check

Throwing on the Run. Check.

Ability to step into the pocket to buy time. Check

Ability to roll out of the pocket to buy time. Check,

Running for yardage when all of your down field options are covered. Check.

Being a "leader" on the field. Check. Watch the play at 0:32 Seconds. As the pocket collapses, Shaw escapes to his left. While he's scrambling, he directs his WR to the stop on the field where he needs him to be and delivers a ball while on the run down the sideline where only the WR has a chance to catch it. That's just savvy football.

Additionally, he looked like he knew where all of his receivers were going to be all of the time.

If you wanted to ding him for something you could say he didn't do a very good job of clock mangement in the 2 min drill, but as they used to say when I was at the Citadel, "Results, not excuses".

Now with all of that, I don't think that changes his status, but based simply on last night, Shaw's positives FAR out weighed his negatives.

I'm simply of the opinion that the Browns are doing themselves a disservice if they don't at least give him a chance with the 2's vs the 3's & 4's. Could he do any worse than Hoyer last night? (No).

One other thing about CS. He's newly married and about to become a dad. Now, I don't know about the rest of you dad's in here, but when I became a father, my whole life changed. The "selfish" life I had led up to that part diminished and I became much more focused and determined. I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw isn't feeling some of those same emotions right now. Instead of partying, his nose is in the playbook (so to speak).

Cheers,

L

Most of the Shaw love started as a joke last night in the chat room, but he honestly looked good against 3rd stringers as any decent Quarterback should. He doesn't deserve to be the starter or anything, but he definitely deserves a shot to make the team as a 3rd stringer. Knowing how Browns QB's go down to injuries, he'll probably be out there starting by week 15.

Archived