THE BROWNS BOARD

Dorsey, Peek, Cousin cut

Guest Aloysius

No surprises there. I like the fact that they are getting started now. Decisive moves allows you to move forward (instead of worrying about coin flips later).

I'm not sure I would qualify any of those as decisive moves...Peek was hurt last year, and Dorsey and Cousin sucked out loud. Seems more like standard house-cleaning; the decisive moves will come later.

Dennis

Browns announce seven roster moves

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

The last two players to start at quarterback for the Browns are no longer with the team.

The Browns announced seven roster moves Monday. Ken Dorsey's contract was terminated, and Bruce Gradkowski was waived.

The contracts of Antwan Peek and Terry Cousin were also terminated. Also waived were punter Mike Dragosavich, kicker Jason Reda and offensive lineman Eric Young.

Dorsey was the Browns' third quarterback for most of the past three seasons but started three games in 2008 before suffering a season-ending injury December 21 against Cincinnati. He went to injured-reserve and in stepped Gradkowski, who was with the team less than four weeks before starting the season finale in Pittsburgh.

Peek's 2008 season ended in training camp after he suffered a knee injury. He played in 14 games (four starts) in his first season with the Browns in 2007 and had four sacks. Cousin, a 12-year veteran, signed with the Browns last spring and played in all 16 games last season as a backup cornerback, recording one interception and two pass breakups.

Dragosavich and Reda signed future contracts with the Browns last month. Dragosavich spent the final week of 2008 on the Browns' practice squad, and Reda spent the 2008 preseason with the team as an undrafted free agent. Young signed with the Browns as an undrafted free agent last spring and spent the season on the non-football injury list.

Guest Aloysius

It's slightly ironic that we got rid of Dorsey & Gradkowski on the same day that Luke McCown got a new 2 year deal from the Bucs that could be worth up to $14 mil.

I'm not convinced that McCown can be the guy, but he probably is worth more than the wasted late 6th Round pick we got for him. You just can't get rid of a developmental QB until you're absolutely convinced he sucks - there's just too much of a risk that some other team will end up fleecing you or getting a starting QB for free (i.e. Derek Anderson, Tyler Thigpen).

And to say something positive about Mangini, he understands this. Despite trading for Brett Favre and having Brett Ratliff emerge during last year's preseason, he kept 5th Round pick Erik Ainge as a fourth QB on the opening day roster, then stashed him on IR a few weeks into the season.

It's slightly ironic that we got rid of Dorsey & Gradkowski on the same day that Luke McCown got a new 2 year deal from the Bucs that could be worth up to $14 mil.

I'm not convinced that McCown can be the guy, but he probably is worth more than the wasted late 6th Round pick we got for him. You just can't get rid of a developmental QB until you're absolutely convinced he sucks - there's just too much of a risk that some other team will end up fleecing you or getting a starting QB for free (i.e. Derek Anderson, Tyler Thigpen).

And to say something positive about Mangini, he understands this. Despite trading for Brett Favre and having Brett Ratliff emerge during last year's preseason, he kept 5th Round pick Erik Ainge as a fourth QB on the opening day roster, then stashed him on IR a few weeks into the season.

I disagree. The Ravens couldve spent last year letting Anderson, Boller, and Smith take turns disappointing. Instead, they found a new franchise QB. The Bucs couldve had Quinn if they wouldve given up on the McCown, Griese, Simms, every other backup QB in the league approach. The Browns came this close to wasting 2007 on Charlie Frye. I just dont see a perennial QB competition as a good thing.

Guest Aloysius

Oh, I don't mean you have to start the guy or hold off on drafting a 1st Round QB. I'm just talking about retaining a rookie or second year developmental guy as your 3rd QB.

The Ravens and Vikings made a mistake in putting DA & Thigpen on waivers, and I think we made a similar mistake in trading McCown.

I don't know about Shaffer, he played okay last year. In 2007 he was above average. Put a good RG between him and Fraley and both look a lot better. Duke Robinson in the second?

Hmmm. Interesting. I'd argue that Fraley ma de Hadnot look worse than he is. But, that's just what I saw.

The most pressure we saw was up the middle (again, I think that is Fraley just being out-sized, not out played). Domino effect. JT got beat when he had to cheat inside to help McKinney (or when Steinbach was ailing but playing anyway).

Also odd to see Dorsey go, unless he needed to get chopped so that Luke Skywalker's Brady Quinn's training can be complete and order is restored to the force.

does this mean that they are keeping brady and da?

I still think DA will be traded. If you look at the free agent listing, there are a number available that won't cost a bunch & would hurt you far less than DA. It was pretty much a certainty that Dorsey would go.

Mike

Today's cuts mean absolutely nothing about the rest of the roster. What they mean is that those players got cut, and nothing else. More cuts are to come, and more trades are to come.

I don't think Gradkowski or Dorsey were cut from our backup position...they were our 3rd/4th stringers. So it doesn't mean that this means ManKok plans on keeping DA as #2.

As they watch more film, more turds will get flushed. I fully anticipate Shaffer, Shaun Smith and Andra Davis to be next.

Andra Davis is a UFA, as are about 8 other guys, so he isn't even ours to cut.

Archived