THE BROWNS BOARD

Ohio Sports Mount Rushmore

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

Who's on your 'Mount Rushmore' of sports in Cleveland?

Posted by Branson Wright / Plain Dealer Reporter February 09, 2009 10:35AM

Categories: Sports Impact

Reid Brown / The Plain Dealer

ESPN has started an interesting debate called the Mount Rushmore of sports, where fans and the media chose the best players from each state. We all know Ohio has its share of great sports figures, and certainly the state of Ohio can stand up to any state.

But for Starting Blocks, we'd like to know your Mount Rushmore of Cleveland-area sports. You decide your own criteria, but the sports figures need to either be from Northeast Ohio or have played/coached most of their career in this area.

Here is the Northeast Ohio Mount Rushmore of sports, according to Starting Blocks:

large_RUSHMORE%20144.jpg

Jim Brown, Football

Not only is Jim Brown considered the greatest running back in the history of the NFL, let's just say he was also the greatest football player in the history of the game. When Brown retired from the Cleveland Browns after the 1965 season, he left as the NFL record holder for both single-season (1,863 in 1963) and career rushing (12,312) yards. He also finished his career as the first player to ever reach 100 rushing touchdowns (106).

Paul Brown, Football

Paul Brown is one of the greatest football coaches in history. Browns was successful at every coaching level - high school, college and pros. Brown was a great innovator. He was the first to use intelligence tests for his players and he used a radio transmitter to communicate with players on the field.

Brown was 167-53-8 in Cleveland. He won four All-American Football Conference titles, three NFL championships and had only one losing season in 17 years.

Jesse Owens, Track and Field

A graduate of East Tech High School, Owens became the first American to win four Olympic gold medals in track and field in the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin. That's the most popular feat, but Owens' greatest achievement was probably during the 1935 Big Ten meet, where he set three world records and tied a fourth ---- in 45 minutes. He equaled the world record for the 100-yard sprint (9.4 seconds) and set world records in the long jump at 26 feet 8¼ inches, (a world record that would last 25 years); the 220-yard (201.2-meter) sprint in 20.7 seconds; and the 220-yard low hurdles, posting a time of 22.6 seconds to become the first person to break 23 seconds.

Bob Feller, Baseball

Bob Feller was the hardest-throwing pitcher during his era of the 1940s and '50s, and many, including Feller, claim he threw even harder than Nolan Ryan (who was clocked at 102 mph). Feller was the first pitcher to win 20 or more games before the age of 21. He's the only pitcher to throw a no-hitter on Opening Day. Feller, the Cleveland Indians leader in career wins (266), led the league in wins six times and led the league in strikeouts seven times. He also led the Indians to their last World Series title (1948).

ESPN has started an interesting debate called the Mount Rushmore of sports, where fans and the media chose the best players from each state. We all know Ohio has its share of great sports figures, and certainly the state of Ohio can stand up to any state.

But for Starting Blocks, we'd like to know your Mount Rushmore of Cleveland-area sports. You decide your own criteria, but the sports figures need to either be from Northeast Ohio or have played/coached most of their career in this area.

Here is the Northeast Ohio Mount Rushmore of sports, according to Starting Blocks:

large_RUSHMORE%20144.jpg

Jim Brown, Football

Not only is Jim Brown considered the greatest running back in the history of the NFL, let's just say he was also the greatest football player in the history of the game. When Brown retired from the Cleveland Browns after the 1965 season, he left as the NFL record holder for both single-season (1,863 in 1963) and career rushing (12,312) yards. He also finished his career as the first player to ever reach 100 rushing touchdowns (106).

Paul Brown, Football

Paul Brown is one of the greatest football coaches in history. Browns was successful at every coaching level - high school, college and pros. Brown was a great innovator. He was the first to use intelligence tests for his players and he used a radio transmitter to communicate with players on the field.

Brown was 167-53-8 in Cleveland. He won four All-American Football Conference titles, three NFL championships and had only one losing season in 17 years.

A graduate of East Tech High School, Owens became the first American to win four Olympic gold medals in track and field in the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin. That's the most popular feat, but Owens' greatest achievement was probably during the 1935 Big Ten meet, where he set three world records and tied a fourth ---- in 45 minutes. He equaled the world record for the 100-yard sprint (9.4 seconds) and set world records in the long jump at 26 feet 8¼ inches, (a world record that would last 25 years); the 220-yard (201.2-meter) sprint in 20.7 seconds; and the 220-yard low hurdles, posting a time of 22.6 seconds to become the first person to break 23 seconds.

Bob Feller, Baseball

Bob Feller was the hardest-throwing pitcher during his era of the 1940s and '50s, and many, including Feller, claim he threw even harder than Nolan Ryan (who was clocked at 102 mph). Feller was the first pitcher to win 20 or more games before the age of 21. He's the only pitcher to throw a no-hitter on Opening Day. Feller, the Cleveland Indians leader in career wins (266), led the league in wins six times and led the league in strikeouts seven times. He also led the Indians to their last World Series title (1948).

Hard to top their Four. I think Otto Graham was greater than Feller, but the Indians should be represented and Feller is a good representation.

Zombo

Guest ATENEARS

Hard to top their Four. I think Otto Graham was greater than Feller, but the Indians should be represented and Feller is a good representation.

Zombo

I agree ... Otto came to mind also, but agree that the Indinas need represented.

Now, if we were to exclude those five it could get interesting ...

Lebron James may have to be thrown in there already.

Rocky Colavito

Leroy Kelly

Lou the toe

Dennis Eckersley/Buddy Bell/Omar/Lofton?

Bernie Kosar over other Browns greats?

That could spar some debate (oh boy, Rich is gonna have a cow)

cy young has to be on there, and lebron in all likelihood will have to be up there once he's done. satchel paige is also a possibility, even though he played with a lot of clubs. larry doby deserves consideration, too. he's kind of a forgotten guy because of jackie robinson.

Guest ATENEARS
But c'mon, no Mark Price? ;)

It's really hard to vote in an old Cavalier ... I'd prefer the Nate Thurmond, Austin Carr ... then maybe Larry Nance ... then Price (screw Daugherty the puss). Bobby 'Bingo' Smith ... then Z.

Wow, we need to get that franchise put on the map. If Lebron can't do it, we may need to cut ties with the Cavs, they have no history.

Pete Franklin? lol

Guest ATENEARS
ummmmm.......does no one on this board remember a old ball coach by the name of Woody Hayes? Should'nt he be on there?

He's a Columbus guy ... He'd be on Columbus Mount Rushmore with Joe (St. Joe) Germaine.

Lebron is a must IF he stays in CLE. If he flies to NY, he should be put on Mt. Trashmore.

I also thought of Otto even before Paul Brown and Jim Brown. I don't know why, but even being in my 30's I think to him before any other Brown.

I'd also like to make a case for Chris Dudley. Dude was the best free throw shooter ever. Even better than BenWallace.

Yeah, my comment was more tongue in cheek than anything, like you said Nance or hell even Hot rod would have to be up there. I just always liked Mark Price and thought we'd try and get a rep from all the Cleveland sports.

I just can't see putting Lebron up there yet, I just don't like the guy, I really don't and hate the idea of him being the face of our city. If he wasn't sucha bandwagoning choad I might feel differently but considering he roots for every front running team in sports (cowboys, Yankees) I just feel no connection to him whatsoever.

Let him get us a championship then take his dirty dirty ass to NY. F him

While I agree with the sentiment that he's a complete frontrunner and is all about himself, if he brings us a championship I only want him to bring us ANOTHER championship.

And then another, and another, and then another.....

If he does opt to go to nyc, THEN I say F him. Until then, he's a CLEVELAND CAVALIER.

I proved this to myself in the mid-1990's: If I can root for Joey Belle, I can root for anyone - as long as they have CLEVELAND on the uniform.

ummmmm.......does no one on this board remember a old ball coach by the name of Woody Hayes? Should'nt he be on there?

He is on the state board....this thread is NE Ohio......on the state board I think it was Woody,Owens,Jack, and paul brown

The listed Cleveland connections work for me...I wouldn't change it.

Not that anybody cares, but if I had to list a Chattanooga Mt Rushmore, it would probably be

Reggie White....Howard HS

John Hannah....Baylor HS

Rick Honneycutt....Ft Oglethorpe HS

Terrell Owens....UTC

Naaa....I don't like Owens....I will add golfer Gibby Gilbert.

Gibby is a dick too....just less of one

large_RUSHMORE%20144.jpg

Jim Brown, Football

Paul Brown, Football

Bob Feller, Baseball

Done that discussion is over

Screw Ohio.

That'll win friends around here.

Since I was born in PA, off the top of my head I'll say ... Jim Thorpe, Mario Lemieux, Honus Wagner and Joe Paterno

Which leaves Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Dr. J, Dan Marino and Roberto Clemente off ... and I havent even touched the Eagles, Phillies, or that football team in Pittsburgh.

Too many good choices with states, works better with cities.

Zombo

That'll win friends around here.

Since I was born in PA, off the top of my head I'll say ... Jim Thorpe, Mario Lemieux, Honus Wagner and Joe Paterno

Which leaves Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Dr. J, Dan Marino and Roberto Clemente off ... and I havent even touched the Eagles, Phillies, or that football team in Pittsburgh.

Too many good choices with states, works better with cities.

Zombo

Yeah Pennsylvania needs at least three Mounts:

East

Julius Erving

Wilt Chamberlain

Mike Schmidt

Bobby Clarke

Central

Joe Paterno

Jim Thorpe

Mario Andretti

Arnold Palmer

West

Joe Montana

Stan Musial

Mario Lemieux

Honus Wagner

Still cant fit Marino, Unitas, Namath, Clemente ... need two mounts just in West PA

Zombo

I heard about this on ESPN. . . but man, Ohio is a tough state, really. . . Jim Brown, Paul Brown, Otto Graham, Bob Feller, Cy Young, Jack Nicklaus, Jesse Owens, Lebron James, Woody Hayes, Pete Rose. . .

Check out this list:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/.../ohio/greatest/

Rank Profile

1 Jesse Owens, Cleveland

Broke three world records and tied another in one day at Big Ten track championships in 1935; a year later he enraged Hitler, winning four golds (100 meters, 200, 4x100 relay and long jump) at the Berlin Olympics.

2 Jack Nicklaus, Columbus

Won six Masters, five PGA, four U.S. Open and three British Open titles; five-time PGA player of year (1967, '72, '73, '75, '76).

3 Pete Rose, Cincinnati

Alltime hits leader with 4,256; won three batting titles; was National League MVP in 1973 and World Series MVP in 1975; banned from baseball for life in 1989 for conduct detrimental to the sport while managing Reds.

4 Archie Griffin, Columbus

Three-time All-America at Ohio State and only player to win two Heisman Trophies (1974 and '75); rushed for 5,177 yards.

5 Paul Brown, Massillon

Coached Ohio State to national title in 1942; directed Cleveland Browns to four AAFC titles (from 1946 to '49) and three NFL titles (1950, '54, '55).

6 Mike Schmidt, Dayton

Seventh on alltime home run list with 548; won three NL MVPs and 10 Gold Gloves at third base for Phillies.

7 John Havlicek, Lansing

Played in three NCAA finals at Ohio State (from 1960 to '62); helped lead Celtics to eight titles; 13-time All-Star.

8 George Sisler, Manchester

St. Louis Browns first baseman twice hit .400 (1920, '22); his 257 hits in '20 is still a record.

9 Marion Motley, Canton

Alltime leading AAFC rusher; played from 1946 to '53 for Browns and ran for more than 4,700 yards and 39 TDs.

10 Edwin Moses, Dayton

Won 400-meter hurdles at 1976 and '84 Olympics, and a bronze medal in '88.

11 Don Shula, Plainesville

Won an NFL-record 347 games as a coach; took six Colts and Dolphins teams to Super Bowl and won twice (VII, VIII).

12 Ken Griffey Jr., Cincinnati

Former Moeller High star is 10-time All-Star and nine-time Gold Glove winner; 1997 AL MVP.

13 Roger Staubach, Cincinnati

Won the 1963 Heisman as Navy junior; led Dallas to two Super Bowl titles ('72, '78); led NFC in passing five times ('71, '73, '77, '78, '79).

14 Calvin Jones, Steubenville

Two-sport star in basketball and football at Steubenville High; offensive-defensive guard won 1955 Outland Trophy at Iowa.

15 Phil Niekro, Lansing

Hall of Fame knuckleballer won 324 games over 24 seasons; led the NL in wins twice and in complete games four times.

16 Bobby Knight, Orryville

A member of the Ohio State basketball team that won the NCAA championship in 1960; since 1971 has coached Indiana to three NCAA titles.

17 Woody Hayes, Clifton

Coached Ohio State to five national titles (1954, '57, '61, '68, '70) and four Rose Bowl victories.

18 Rollie Fingers, Steubenville

Hall of Fame pitcher had 341 career saves; won AL MVP and Cy Young awards in 1981 with Brewers; was World Series MVP in '74 with A's.

19 Jerry Lucas, Middletown

Middletown High star played in three NCAA finals at Ohio State; averaged 17 ppg in NBA career.

20 Thurman Munson, Akron

Six-time All-Star as Yankees catcher; won 1976 AL MVP with .302 average and 105 RBIs.

21 Len Dawson, Alliance

Threw for 239 touchdowns and almost 29,000 total yards in 18-year pro career; led Chiefs to win over Vikings in 1970 Super Bowl.

22 Scott Hamilton, Bowling Green

Won gold medal in figure skating at 1984 Olympics; four-time world champion (from '81 to '84).

23 Jack Lambert, Mantua

Quarterback at Mantua High before moving to linebacker at Kent State; seven-time All-Pro led Steelers defense to four NFL championships in the 1970s.

24 Madeline Manning, Cleveland

Won Olympic gold in track in 1968 and silver in '72; was the first American woman to break two minutes in the 800 meters with time of 1:59.8.

25 Willie Davenport, Warren

Defensive back at Southern U; won Olympic gold in 110-meter hurdles in 1968; pusher on U.S. four-man bobsled team in '80.

26 Howard (Hopalong) Cassady, Columbus

Ohio State halfback led Buckeyes to national title in 1954 and won '55 Heisman Trophy.

27 Barry Larkin, Cincinnati

Ten-time All-Star and 1995 NL MVP; led Reds to '90 World Series title.

28 Tony Trabert, Cincinnati

In perhaps the greatest individual year in tennis, won 1955 French, Wimbledon and U.S. championships and 27 other titles.

29 Branch Rickey, Lucasvillle

As Dodgers boss he integrated major leagues in 1947 when he brought up Jackie Robinson.

30 Lou Groza, Martins Ferry

Six-time All-Pro; played in 13 championship games for Cleveland from 1946 to '67.

31 Harold Anderson, Akron

All-Ohio in football and basketball; set state record in low hurdles; coached Toledo and Bowling Green basketball teams for combined 29 seasons.

32 Shirley Fry, Akron

Won 1956 Wimbledon and U.S. singles championships, '51 French and '57 Australian titles, making her, at the time, one of three women to win all the majors.

33 Nate Thurmond, Akron

All-America at Bowling Green in 1963; averaged 15 points over 14-year pro career.

34 James Jeffries, Carroll

World heavyweight champion after just 13 pro fights, held title from 1899 to 1910.

35 Paul Warfield, Warren

A two-way star at Ohio State; played wideout in four NFL title games with Browns between 1964 and '69 and in three Super Bowls with Dolphins.

36 Glenn Davis, Barberton

Got 400-meter-hurdle gold medals in 1956 and '60 Olympics, setting Olympic records both times.

37 Elmer Flick, Bedford

Hit .367 for 1900 Phillies; batted .313 over 13-year career; led AL in triples from 1905 to '07.

38 John Heisman, Cleveland

Credited with introducing center snap; father of forward pass; coached Georgia Tech to three straight undefeated seasons from 1915 to '17.

39 Alan Page, Canton

All-America at Notre Dame; nine-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman led Vikings to four Super Bowls.

40 Larry Csonka, Stow

Broke most of Jim Brown's rushing records at Syracuse; in 11 seasons with Dolphins and Giants, ran for 8,081 yards.

41 Aaron Pryor, Cincinnati

Won WBA junior welterweight belt in 1980 and successfully defended it eight times.

42 Chuck Noll, Cleveland

In 23 seasons coached Steelers to four Super Bowl titles.

43 Rube Marquard, Cleveland

Pitched Giants to 73 wins in three seasons as New York took titles in 1911, '12 and '13.

44 Johnny Kilbane, Cleveland

Held world featherweight crown for 11 years after beating Abe Attell in 1912.

45 Cris Carter, Middleton

All-America at Ohio State; as Vikings receiver set NFL single-season record with 122 catches in 1994.

46 Ezzard Charles, Cincinnati

World heavyweight champion (1950-51); 96-25-1 for career.

47 Dave Wottle, Canton

Ran 1:44.3 in 1972 Olympic trials to equal 800-meter world record, then took gold medal in Munich.

48 Dick Kazmaier, Maumee

Princeton tailback won Heisman and Maxwell trophies in 1951.

49 Gus Johnson, Akron

Six-time NBA All-Star, enjoyed his best season in 1966-67, averaging 20.7 points.

50 Bernie Kosar, Boardman

Quarterbacked University of Miami to 1983 national title; played 12 seasons in the NFL.

Archived