Give It Away RHCP

Highway Star Deep Purple

Rebel Rebel Bowie

Ziggy Stardust Bowie

Breaking The Law Judas Priest

Man on Silver Mountain Rainbow

Working Man Rush

Rocking In The Free World Neil Young

Layla has an iconic riff and an iconic solo.

Duane Allman came up with the opening riff on Layla

So you're saying the guitarists of now are only mimicking clapton who himself mimicked Robert Johnson. So what is your point about that?

Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul

The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.

(but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).

Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul

The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.

(but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).

I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

WSS

I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

WSS

Maybe, but he would have to do it playing a Les Paul, no?

Where you at?

How would you rank the following?

Yngwie Malmsteen

John Petrucci

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

Eric Johnson

That's hard to do.

those guys are all great. I'm not that familiar with Petrucci and I don't enjoy Satriani though I respect his ability. I love Eric Johnson and Yngwie but I don't think either is nearly as versatile Steve Vai.

Lest we forget long riffs of precise 16th notes from the old master Chet Atkins... And you didn't mention any of the country guys though I'm not sure who's hot in Nashville these days.

WSS

jeff beck

joe bonamasso

robin trower

david gilmour

stevie ray

derek trucks

buckethead

steve vai (played w/zappa when he was like 16)

steve lukather

neil schonn

i could go on and on. all guitar players who could do both. create a hook and rip a solo.

a riff, really? i guess the 'commercial' bullshit song will win out. in that case the stones 'satisfaction'. richards couldn't play a solo to save his 25th life.

WSS

Eddie Van Halen wishes he was Les Paul..Ive been playing since I was 11 years...Eddie isnt anywhere harmonically on the same planet as LP was.

jeff beck

joe bonamasso

robin trower

david gilmour

stevie ray

derek trucks

buckethead

steve vai (played w/zappa when he was like 16)

steve lukather

neil schonn

i could go on and on. all guitar players who could do both. create a hook and rip a solo.

a riff, really? i guess the 'commercial' bullshit song will win out. in that case the stones 'satisfaction'. richards couldn't play a solo to save his 25th life.

Steve Vai was 18

Eddie Van Halen wishes he was Les Paul..Ive been playing since I was 11 years...Eddie isnt anywhere harmonically on the same planet as LP was.

Oh well I guess I just don't agree with you.

That's a weird thing about art as opposed to politics. Anybody's opinion can be right.

And art usually doesn't fuck up our lives one way or the other. ;)

WSS

George Harrison getting no love? The guy has so many classic riffs and I personally think he's right up there with clapton and above the likes of page.

I guess his playing was always more subtle and understated, plus he was, after all "The Quiet Beatle". But, yes, it seems odd that the lead guitarist of the greatest band that ever was or ever will be is underrated.

Archived