THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon Troubles

letsgojackets

Here's the problem, in a nutshell:

Right now, Josh doesn't want the Browns, or anyone else's help.

Josh Gordon is going to have to be the one who goes into Pettine's office and say, "I need help.

My life is getting out of control, and I need--and want--help."

If JG only goes to rehab because the Browns or the NFL or his family tells him he has to, then, in

the immortal words of Reverend Johnson of Rock Ridge, "...we're all just jerking off."

So the question is, how long do the Browns wait around for JG to get his shit together? Do we wait for

him to finally hit bottom and then reach out or do we just cut our losses.

What you say is partially true. It is true that an addict needs to want to change for themselves not someone else. He would however not be the first addict forced into treatment that found that want while there.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JG has talent, the likes the Browns haven't seen since who the fuck knows when. Short OF JG pulling a Aaron Hernandez, FO needs to get proactive, putting together a

process/program that could help this kid along and keep him out of the crosshairs of the league office. You win with people with a focus on principles before personalities.

JG is a legit game changer. Those who don't like his behavior/character need to review his 2013 performance on the field before dismissing him

On sports nation today during the "should CLE cut Josh Gordon" segment, 80% said yes. My thought is if I were a fan of ANY other NFL team, then fuck yeah cut him! I want him on my goddamn team! I'll say it again, if we cut him he will go on to have a HOF career with another team. Keep him and get him help any way you can. He has the ability to be the best Browns receiver in history.

On sports nation today during the "should CLE cut Josh Gordon" segment, 80% said yes. My thought is if I were a fan of ANY other NFL team, then fuck yeah cut him! I want him on my goddamn team! I'll say it again, if we cut him he will go on to have a HOF career with another team. Keep him and get him help any way you can. He has the ability to be the best Browns receiver in history.

Thumbs up.

This kid isn't ever going to have a HOF career. He is a druggie.

remember the browns have had some pretty good receivers over the years all who kept their nose clean...ozzie, paul warfield, brian brennan, K.J., slaughter etc.

i still have a jurevicius jersey somewhere. loved that guy, but he used to get hit HARD across the middle.

Cris Carter may disagree on the HOF question. There is still time for JG to get his shit together.

The problem for an NFL player is that the window of opportunity is small and closes rather quickly.

Josh is in the process of pissing away the best years of his career in terms of earning potential.

People bitch and moan about the money pro athletes make, but the reality is that they make what

they can when they can. Off the top of my head, I'm guessing you can count on one hand the number of NFL

players who played at a high level into their forties over the last 25 years.

JG who doesn't have his head stuck firmly up his ass has the potential to earn tens of millions of dollars over

the next 5-10 years in the NFL. JG not in the NFL has the potential to ask if you want barbecue sauce with

your McNuggets.

Someone needs to get inside Josh Gordon, and find out why he's doing the things he's doing... There's obviously something much deeper that is affecting him. Recognizing he has a problem is only the first in many steps he must take to right himself..the league suspending him right now does not sound like a bad thing. It may be the thing that jumpstarts his rehab and ultimately saves him.. That's what Id like to see.. Instead of just scorning the kid. If theres any shot of helping him get his life together. I think thats what we all should wish for.

Someone needs to get inside Josh Gordon , and find out why he's doing the things he's doing... There's obviously something much deeper that is affecting him. Recognizing he has a problem is only the first in many steps he must take to right himself..the league suspending him right now does not sound like a bad thing. It may be the thing that jumpstarts his rehab and ultimately saves him.. That's what Id like to see.. Instead of just scorning the kid. If theres any shot of helping him get his life together. I think thats what we all should wish for.

I don't think gay sex is going to help Josh fix his problem.

I don't think gay sex is going to help Josh fix his problem.

I don't think any kind of sex could help this problem...

Yeah, and on Sports Center the comment was- as soon as he's eligible for reinstatement, teams will be lining up to offer him a contract. Who wouldn't want to take a chance on a guy with Gordon's talent, at Vet minimum?

This kid isn't ever going to have a HOF career. He is a druggie.

Maybe, maybe not. Right now, it's not looking good- but people with worse drug problems than Josh have turned their lives around.

Cris Carter may disagree on the HOF question. There is still time for JG to get his shit together.

The problem for an NFL player is that the window of opportunity is small and closes rather quickly.

Josh is in the process of pissing away the best years of his career in terms of earning potential.

People bitch and moan about the money pro athletes make, but the reality is that they make what

they can when they can. Off the top of my head, I'm guessing you can count on one hand the number of NFL

players who played at a high level into their forties over the last 25 years.

JG who doesn't have his head stuck firmly up his ass has the potential to earn tens of millions of dollars over

the next 5-10 years in the NFL. JG not in the NFL has the potential to ask if you want barbecue sauce with

your McNuggets.

That's exactly why I got upset over Josh's last escapade- those 3 vodka drinks (probably way more than that- everyone lies to a cop when they get pulled over) are going to cost him $10 million in lost earnings potential (at least)- did he not think about that? If he did, and didn't care, well- welcome to AA Josh.

the money these players make in their short NFL careers is more than most people will make working 40-50 years of their lives. so boo hoo that they only last 4 years and are making 3 mil. per. besides most of these guys then get launched into something sports related or actually fall back on their college education that they got for free.

chris carter needs to shut up. yes, it might have been best for him that the eagles cut him. how do you think the eagle's feel about that decision today?

All that Josh has done in the NFL is achieve beyond what anyone thought he was capable of.

All the college nonsense don't mean jack-shit now that he's in the NFL. Yeah, he was maybe a risk but take a look at what he's done since joining the NFL.

So the kid has a couple speeding tickets... he drives a fast ass car. It happens. He's young and he'll grow out of that.

The weed that was found in his car belonged to his 'friend', it had his ID in the bag and everything. And when the report says that it was in a bag with under 200 grams of weed- IT DOESN'T MEAN THERE WAS 200 GRAMS OF WEED. It's just the category that it is placed in. It could have been 5 grams in a backpack that his buddy had. Don't jump to conclusions.

The codeine incident is well documented. He had strep throat and codeine is often prescribed to patients for this. It was a simple mistake. One in which he paid for already. He served his punishment, let it go.

The DWI that he just had was a micro fraction over the legal limit. He wasn't shit-faced drunk, just made a poor decision to drive when he should have called a cab to take him where he wanted to go. Maybe he was driving somewhere FAR and a cab wouldn't be practical. Say he needed to be somewhere 100 miles away? What's he gonna do take a cab all the way back and then drive? Two cabs and lots of time spent when he was clearly in a rush to get where he needed to be?

Anyways, yeah, mistakes were made, he's young and young people make mistakes. It's part of growing up. He'll be okay, but the more that people dwell on it the worse it will appear. It's not always as bad as the media portrays. I'd think Josh ends up with a 6-8 suspension and returns to the field at the midway point... fingers-crossed.

All that Josh has done in the NFL is achieve beyond what anyone thought he was capable of.

All the college nonsense don't mean jack-shit now that he's in the NFL. Yeah, he was maybe a risk but take a look at what he's done since joining the NFL.

So the kid has a couple speeding tickets... he drives a fast ass car. It happens. He's young and he'll grow out of that.

The weed that was found in his car belonged to his 'friend', it had his ID in the bag and everything. And when the report says that it was in a bag with under 200 grams of weed- IT DOESN'T MEAN THERE WAS 200 GRAMS OF WEED. It's just the category that it is placed in. It could have been 5 grams in a backpack that his buddy had. Don't jump to conclusions.

The codeine incident is well documented. He had strep throat and codeine is often prescribed to patients for this. It was a simple mistake. One in which he paid for already. He served his punishment, let it go.

The DWI that he just had was a micro fraction over the legal limit. He wasn't shit-faced drunk, just made a poor decision to drive when he should have called a cab to take him where he wanted to go. Maybe he was driving somewhere FAR and a cab wouldn't be practical. Say he needed to be somewhere 100 miles away? What's he gonna do take a cab all the way back and then drive? Two cabs and lots of time spent when he was clearly in a rush to get where he needed to be?

Anyways, yeah, mistakes were made, he's young and young people make mistakes. It's part of growing up. He'll be okay, but the more that people dwell on it the worse it will appear. It's not always as bad as the media portrays. I'd think Josh ends up with a 6-8 suspension and returns to the field at the midway point... fingers-crossed.

You left out the multi felony buddy as well. Come on man I try to give you the benefit of the doubt but sometimes your posts are so fucking stupid its hard to tell if you are serious.

PG, you're trying to defend the indefensible.

Both on and off the field.

Yes it does. He got kicked off of two different college teams for ganga. I don't care what you think about it- rules is rules, and Josh wasn't following them.

One was a reckless operation- the second would have been if the cop hadn't cut him a break. FYI that's called racking up enough points to get your license suspended.

The conclusion is Gordon was- and is facing a suspension- and he had one of his doper pals in the car while he was speeding. Shit hell and damn- I took some Space Cadet Road trips with my pals in my younger years- but we made damn sure the driver wasn't stoned enough to know what the damn speed limit was.

And apparently he didn't learn from it- because you can bet the ranch the NFL told him in no uncertain terms what was going to happen if he fucked up again.

Micro fraction is DUI- sorry. Ever been to a drunk school? Most of the attendees are just a "fraction" over 0.08, unless they're serious alkies- and then the sky's the limit. I've seen guys hauled into our ER driving with a 0.4- (not well) that's not a typo- if you're thinking 0.04. Any serious alkie will tell you 0.08 is bull shit- because they've built up such a tolerance to booze- it is. Quit rationalizing. The NFL has 24\7 limo service Josh was too "in a hurry" to use. BTW- the first thing to go when you're drinking is critical judgement- not that Josh has any semblance of it at this point. 1) Holiday weekend- cops are out. 2) Speeding. & just my .02 0n the matter. a lot of jurisdictions are using the DUI thing as more of a cash cow that a public safety matter.

I'll leave you with this PG- here's the short definition of an substance addict. (doesn't matter what- compulsive gamblers fill the bill too) If it affects your JOB, your relationships, or your health- you have a serious problem. Hi, Josh- you have a serious problem.

If Josh hadn't gotten popped for the DUI, I might have had some hope. It's gonna be a year- count on it.

That's exactly why I got upset over Josh's last escapade- those 3 vodka drinks (probably way more than that- everyone lies to a cop when they get pulled over) are going to cost him $10 million in lost earnings potential (at least)- did he not think about that? If he did, and didn't care, well- welcome to AA Josh.

1. Assuming he had only three, three does not seem like a lot.

2. Timing is a factor as well and I doubt he did all three just prior to leaving near 0300...

chris carter needs to shut up. yes, it might have been best for him that the eagles cut him. how do you think the eagle's feel about that decision today?

Agree, but more for the false equivalency of his history vs. Josh's.

I'll be shocked if it is less than a year. He will be reinstated the end of next July and report to camp overweight and out of shape. He will try to do too much to soon and blow out a knee, starting the spiral out of the game.

I'll be shocked if it is less than a year. He will be reinstated the end of next July and report to camp overweight and out of shape. He will try to do too much to soon and blow out a knee, starting the spiral out of the game.

Now there's your glass half full thinking...

One thing to note with Josh is that he is only 23 years old. Most players don't start in their first professional game at 21 or 22 like he did. Him being suspended for an entire year could be a blessing or a curse for him. It gives him an entire year to get his shit together and stop what he is doing. On the flip side he could just continue being on his current path which will most definitely end his pro career. If he is only suspended for a year and he gets some help he could come back and help out this team in 2015 which will be the last year of his contract at age 24. If he gets it together he would have at least 4 years left of good football. There is absolutely no reason to cut him, even though he screwed himself and the Browns over considering they aren't paying him an abundance of money.

Obviously it pisses me off he did this, but the Browns haven't had this kind of talent on the team at a skill position in years so I think it is worth the wait just to make sure the Bengals don't end up with him :D

We were looking at possibly losing a year BEFORE the "passenger with pot" & DUI. I have a feeling this one will now be indefinite & the shit will REALLY hit the fan if he has another screw up. We'll see what happens, but we need to move on as if he's gone.

Mike

The only chance he's not gone a year now is if they can totally and irrefutably show negligence or lack of proper procedure on whatever his infraction was earlier this year. If that can be done the "passenger weed" and the DUI become far less crucifying.

The die hard Browns fan in mean would love to see that pipe dream, although I wouldnt hold my breath. The 25 year clean recovering addict side of me knows this would likely not be the best outcome for Josh personally. The faster he can get to bottom the better at this point. He will either stay there or come out.

the money these players make in their short NFL careers is more than most people will make working 40-50 years of their lives. so boo hoo that they only last 4 years and are making 3 mil. per. besides most of these guys then get launched into something sports related or actually fall back on their college education that they got for free.

Don't know how great the demand is for BA's with a major in physical education or African Ameridcan studies

how long is his is contract and how much? Can he go on suspension for a year and into what ever rehab in that year. We get him back next year? We just need to move on from him for this year. Get money back from what we paid him, suspension without pay. but still under contract. If we cut him there is a good possibility another team will pick him up and do what I said?

Don't know how great the demand is for BA's with a major in physical education or African Ameridcan studies

lols!

i was thinking more of the student athletes that took their education seriously and went into financial, political or even sports related biz ventures after leaving the nfl.

of course you could always get a gig on espn/bet. hell even fat fuck jerome bettis got work for a minute. steroid boy shawn merriman is on nfl network every flippin morning.

no shame in his game.

how long is his is contract and how much? Can he go on suspension for a year and into what ever rehab in that year. We get him back next year? We just need to move on from him for this year. Get money back from what we paid him, suspension without pay. but still under contract. If we cut him there is a good possibility another team will pick him up and do what I said?

i really don't think the browns have to do anything this year except play with what they've got. then next year make WR their #1 priority, unless of course, something abysmal happens (injury) and we need to totally refocus on another area as well.

gordon comes back all shiny and clean and he plays in browns stadium with a contract from the browns minimal as it might be BUT he can't go anywhere so................

if this was all a ploy to go to greener pastures it sure as hell backfired on him.

Archived