THE BROWNS BOARD

Stay Classy, Lane Kiffin

dencyguy

From the Knoxville News Sentinel: Kiffin apologizes after SEC reprimands coach for comments about Florida, Meyer

Here's the most relevant part:

>>Fans who attended Tennessee’s recruiting celebration early Thursday morning didn’t need coffee. New UT coach Lane Kiffin and his staff provided plenty of stimulation.

Kiffin took shots at defending national champion Florida and Alabama, recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron talked about winning a national championship, and assistant coach Lance Thompson vowed that UT would “own Memphis” in recruiting.

It was that kind of morning. And the sellout crowd of almost 1,000 fans at the Knoxville Convention Center ate it up.

Their loudest applause came when Kiffin called out Florida coach Urban Meyer on an alleged NCAA recruiting violation in the recruitment of Nu’Keese Richardson, a wide receiver from Pahoke, Fla., who committed to Florida but signed with UT.

“I’m going to turn Florida in right now in front of you,” Kiffin told the crowd. “Nu’Keese was here on campus (on his recruiting visit) and his phone kept ringing.

“One of our coaches said, ‘Nu’Keese, who’s that?’ He said, ‘Urban Meyer.’

“Just so you know, when a recruit is on another campus, you can’t call him. I love the fact that Urban had to cheat and still didn’t get him.”<<

Three things:

1) It's not a violation. You want to call out the two-time national champs and gloat a bit? Sure, a 5-15 record in the NFL and your recruiting coordinator's 3-21 SEC record gives you a lot of credibility, but don't call it cheating if it's not. There's a difference between gloating and slander.

2) This wasn't entirely Kiffin's fault, but the flap over his comments overshadowed a minor sports story in Knoxville last week: some chick named Pat Summit won her 1000th game, to the point that the sports talk shows led with Kiffin the day after Summit's win. And this isn't a town that tends to ignore women's basketball. Great job.

3) Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Kiffin and Orgeron running USC's recruiting operation when they gave Reggie Bush a house? And a cell phone non-violation is worth bringing up?

Dennis

He'd better be in the SEC Championship game in three years, which means he might want to, you know, recruit a QB at some point.

From the Knoxville News Sentinel: Kiffin apologizes after SEC reprimands coach for comments about Florida, Meyer

Here's the most relevant part:

>>Fans who attended Tennessee’s recruiting celebration early Thursday morning didn’t need coffee. New UT coach Lane Kiffin and his staff provided plenty of stimulation.

Kiffin took shots at defending national champion Florida and Alabama, recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron talked about winning a national championship, and assistant coach Lance Thompson vowed that UT would “own Memphis” in recruiting.

It was that kind of morning. And the sellout crowd of almost 1,000 fans at the Knoxville Convention Center ate it up.

Their loudest applause came when Kiffin called out Florida coach Urban Meyer on an alleged NCAA recruiting violation in the recruitment of Nu’Keese Richardson, a wide receiver from Pahoke, Fla., who committed to Florida but signed with UT.

“I’m going to turn Florida in right now in front of you,” Kiffin told the crowd. “Nu’Keese was here on campus (on his recruiting visit) and his phone kept ringing.

“One of our coaches said, ‘Nu’Keese, who’s that?’ He said, ‘Urban Meyer.’

“Just so you know, when a recruit is on another campus, you can’t call him. I love the fact that Urban had to cheat and still didn’t get him.”<<

Three things:

1) It's not a violation. You want to call out the two-time national champs and gloat a bit? Sure, a 5-15 record in the NFL and your recruiting coordinator's 3-21 SEC record gives you a lot of credibility, but don't call it cheating if it's not. There's a difference between gloating and slander.

2) This wasn't entirely Kiffin's fault, but the flap over his comments overshadowed a minor sports story in Knoxville last week: some chick named Pat Summit won her 1000th game, to the point that the sports talk shows led with Kiffin the day after Summit's win. And this isn't a town that tends to ignore women's basketball. Great job.

3) Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Kiffin and Orgeron running USC's recruiting operation when they gave Reggie Bush a house? And a cell phone non-violation is worth bringing up?

Dennis

He'd better be in the SEC Championship game in three years, which means he might want to, you know, recruit a QB at some point.

Meyer is going to spank his ass 70-0 next year in Gainesville and will not call the dogs off of Daddy's defense until the Swamp is sufficiently satisfied.

Spunk is nice. Stupidity is deadly.

Especialy in the SEC.

Zombo

Word I get is Richardson regrets signing at Tennessee and has called Meyer to tell him so.

Seems that after the calls were made, the Tennessee staff started telling Richardson they were going to get Florida put on probation for this and he wouldn't have a chance to play on TV or in championships.

This might not be over.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens 9-19 when Lame takes his team to Gainesville...I already have that one circled as a Gator weekend...hopefully the Browns are on the road that week.

Well, at least the Kiffin regime is making sure that they do everything by the book. Oh, wait:

Mock press conference among secondary violations UT self-reported

>>Nine prospects in Knoxville for an official visit on Jan. 16 participated in a mock press conference in Neyland Stadium’s media center after touring the stadium. Coaches asked the prospects questions while they were being filmed.

According to a letter UT sent Jan. 26 to the SEC and NCAA, UT coach Lane Kiffin and recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron were involved in the violations. The university became aware of the violation when the compliance staff read a prospects account of the visit in a news article.

Also included in UT’s letter, obtained by the News Sentinel through an open records request, was a previously reported violation that occurred when UT used a fog machine as a recruit entered the field in Neyland Stadium during his official visit on Jan. 9.

The SEC office informed UT of that violation, which only involved one prospect.

"The violations occurred due to an incorrect assumption by the football coaching staff regarding official visit activities," Tennessee wrote in its letter.

According to the letter, UT’s coaching staff believed that the mock press conference was permissible because it was not a public act and only involved a conversation between the coaching staff and recruits. Kiffin believed the use of a fog machine was permissible because he had seen it used while employed at another school.

That was most likely Southern California, where Kiffin was an assistant coach for six seasons. Washington also reported a similar secondary violation last month by its new head coach, Steve Sarkisian, who coached with Kiffin at Southern California.<<

No word on whether or not they bought any prospects a house.

I'm afraid that I think Zippy is right on this one; Steve Spurrier could talk smack because he owned Phil Fulmer (and he never accused him of being dirty). Kiffin has yet to accomplish anything other than calling a timeout against Cleveland and hiring his dad. I hope he ends up doing more, but all it is is hope at the moment.

Dennis

Guest Aloysius

Coach Lunch Money can say whatever stupid shit he wants...but if he gets Eric Berry hurt by playing him on offense, I'll get Al Davis to put out a hit on him.

That kid alone makes Tennessee watchable. He'd certainly look good in a Browns uniform.

Agree on all counts. Berry is a joy to watch on defense--he's one of the few guys who, every time a ball is thrown to his side of the field, you don't just think that he can get an interception, but a pick six. He goes from defense to offense after a pick better than just about anyone.

Two things come to mind with regards to him on offense:

1) I hate to think that the coaching staff would bow to public pressure, but there are tons of "Berry for Heisman" t-shirts on campus. I like love the idea of a defensive player getting a fair shot to win the award, but I also know that if they want Berry to be seriously considered, they're going to have to try the Charles Woodson thing.

2) If they use him more on offense--and they probably will--it depends on how they use him. Last year, it drove me nuts to see Dave Clawson either run short routes over the middle or, even worse, run draws out of the WildDawg. In other ways, using him in ways that were most likely to get him hurt. I hope Bowling Green goes 0-12, schmuck. I'll be slightly less upset if they use him to stretch the field by running long routes that will take him as far away from DLs and LBs as possible; they'd be stupid not to see the benefit of knocking him out of the game.

Best case scenario, though, is just keep him on the sideline and let the Heisman people screw themselves if they can't figure out that defense matters too.

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Raiders depose Kiffin, attack former coach in letter to Tennessee

Here's the real kicker:

All told, Kiffin's first few months on the job have created the impression that he is volatile and unreliable -- points the Raiders made when they fired him in September, points they made to Tennessee's school president in the letter in January, and points they are likely to bring up during Monday's deposition.

If reporters are convinced that you were too incompetent to work for Al Davis, you may have a problem...

Archived