THE BROWNS BOARD

what a crock

The fighting irish is not the same as the Redskins. Fighting micks or fighting potato Eater would be closer. There isn't as far as I know a racial slur for Christians so let's not pretend blue devils is in the same vein as redskins. That's fake outrage

It's all fake outrage.

(of course I said Demon Deacons and Blue Devils which would offend Christians)

Also why would drunk potato eating Irish bother me?

WSS

Why don't the Redskins just change the logo to a redskin potato?

Problem solved. Or would that offend potato's?

Facts? You're bringing facts in here? This is the politics forum gad dammit, that shit doesn't fly round here! ;)

He is clearly new to this section of The Browns Board. In any case, I will throw my hat in the ring for the "Redskins" term being offensive. I get it can be hard for some people who aren't a minority in their own country to understand it, especially disengaged from the history of the term:

"The earliest known appearance of the term in print occurred on October 9, 1813 in an article quoting a letter dated August 27, 1813 from a gentleman at St. Louis concerning an expedition being formed and to be led by Gen. Benjamin Howard to "route the savages from the Illinois and Mississippi territories[.]" "The expedition will be 40 days out, and there is no doubt but we shall have to contend with powerful hordes of red skins, as our frontiers have been lined with them last summer, and have had frequent skirmishes with our regulars and rangers."[7]" http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang)

Imagine how a Native American would feel about a term coined by a white man now being used to describe a football team. A term that was incidentally concieved as a deragatory term that boiled a human being down to a single attribute. Time and time again, we've seen people dehumanized throughout history right before their populations were decimated in exactly this way. So the only crock in this thread are the attempts to deny the racist nature of the term.

If they change the name of the Redskins then it opens a can of worms that will be hard to close.

Tour there are dozens if not hundreds of instances of one players fans being called queer or fag or wanting to suck his dick or whatever ridiculous horse shit you pick. Nope I've never seen one from you specifically but I'd be hard pressed to find the post from you telling everyone how offensive you found it.

Actually I'd say thousands of instances. And I have never seen you endorse the use any of the terms you listed. It could be because we both know the Browns' section is not the place to raise such issues.

Also I'd say that the bulk of the hand wringing and complaining has been from liberal whites. Not the Native American community.

Total straw man there... but it does raise the question as to why liberal whites (who we all know are all atheists) and not white Christians are complaining?

Since Native Americans comprise one of the smaller minorities "in our melting pot", it would be hard for them to not be outnumbered. And they are by not only whites, but blacks as well.

Yes there are lots of things that offend a lot of people. So what?

And while the terms cracker or redneck or hillbilly don't particularly bother me even if they are said with hatred BUT I bet there are some people who are truly bothered by it.

Do you really want to pretend that all "things" are equally offensive? Do you deny that certain words have a weight of history behind them that make them more offensive than other words? Please make the case that "N*****" and "cracker" carry the same weight. I'd love to read that.

I repeat if you reverse the races and the story sounds stupid, it is stupid.

Here's an experiment you'll love. Substitute "niggers" for "redskins" and see how that sounds.

So... Where does teabagger mean gay? Was that ever shown yet?

Nope... Claim was debunked so Steve just pivoted and moved on.

And yes I suppose I do want to pretend all things are equal. I try not to use the word N***** just because it might hurt the feelings of black people.

I try not to say cocksucker around people who I think may be offended. Of course if, as you and woody say, teabagger is not offensive then I don't see why cocksucker should be, right? The meanings are nearly identical.

Do you guys believe that the word N***** is acceptable in situations where you don't believe it is used in hatred?

But even though it is much like that case out in California where the grandstanding white kids protesting some stupid shit for fear of offending Muslims I think this time the liberal attention whores will get their way.

And just for an extra helping of hypocrisy isn't that a great way to show how sensitive you are to the needs of the Native Americans while living on the land you cry about taking from them? If it mattered to the protesters I'd expect to see the moving trucks...... and yet

WSS

And no, Tour, I don't protest all the guys on the Browns board calling each other queer.

I think that would be akin to the other ridiculous political correctness.

(but I would wonder why you don't if the word Redskin bothers you so much)

I just mentioned it to point out the bleeding heart hypocrisy. And I would imagine I have more dealings with gay people than any of you.

WSS

Is cocksucker considered particularly offensive to the gay community? I've rarely heard it mentioned alongside the likes of faggot

I tend to avoid saying it among my gay friends, but they occasionally throw it out there. It's just a standard derogatory term for them, rather than implying that the person you're trying to insult is gay, and since being gay is a bad thing they are a lesser person.

Is cocksucker considered particularly offensive to the gay community? I've rarely heard it mentioned alongside the likes of faggot

Calling some people cocksucker I'm sure would offend them. Saying the word cock sucker in front of some people would offend them. Saying cock sucker to someone's grandmother or five year old I would imagine could be offensive. If I called you cocksucker would you think it was synonymous with old chum or pal of mine?

Maybe someone should give me a list of groups of people who should be legislatively defended against offense.

WSS

Archived