THE BROWNS BOARD

Connor Barwin

Oldcrow1945

Maybe Aloy can answer this....When is Barwin suppose to be drafted? I like the sound of this kid a lot.

He's actually a new football player and obviously a good athlete as he played basketball for Cincy as well.

He may be a bit rough around the edges but he could have a huge upside. The NFL said he could even play TE in goal line situations. (Vrabel)

He's a fairly popular round 2 pick for the Browns... could be had with a little trade down. Smart guy, great athlete, perfect 3-4 OLB.

Yep....Maybe a trade down with NE who has two second round picks and may want a RB with the high second round pick of the Browns......Maroney is hurt a lot and Faulk is older than dirt. They could use some RB help....Hmmmmm.

All the possibilities sure are fun to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's an article about Barwin's transition to DE in college. He seems like a good, honest hardworking player. But another guy who would be a reach at our second round pick and won't be there when we pick after that. A trade down or a trade of DA can give us a pick in his range, though.

Thanks for the article! Nice read.

I like this kid so much. He could even be a two way player in goal line situations. He has Mike Vrable written all over him.

He's ending up on the top of the list in almost all the events.

1st in the 40

1st in the vertical

1st in the 3 cone drill

1st in the 20 yard shuttle

1st in the broad jump

1st in the vertical

Wow....An athletic kid.

Have to think he's moved well up into the 2nd round.

the only knock would be that he only put up 21 reps in the bench press, but he can always add muscle. speed and agility can't be taught/earned in the weight room.

there's two schools of thought on a guy like barwin. the first is that we need guys to make an impact right now to turn the team around. the other is that, because we won't contend this year anyway, we can afford to spend a couple years grooming a guy so his improved play will coincide with the team's turnaround and he'll start peaking precisely when he can have the most impact on an improving team.

i happen to think the second is the way to go because you can never have too many talented players, but i'm not sure that we can trust the organization to teach barwin what he needs to learn.

having no faith in your coaching staff because of years of mismanagement sucks.

the only knock would be that he only put up 21 reps in the bench press, but he can always add muscle. speed and agility can't be taught/earned in the weight room.

there's two schools of thought on a guy like barwin. the first is that we need guys to make an impact right now to turn the team around. the other is that, because we won't contend this year anyway, we can afford to spend a couple years grooming a guy so his improved play will coincide with the team's turnaround and he'll start peaking precisely when he can have the most impact on an improving team.

i happen to think the second is the way to go because you can never have too many talented players, but i'm not sure that we can trust the organization to teach barwin what he needs to learn.

having no faith in your coaching staff because of years of mismanagement sucks.

I wish I could have seen more of him in Cincy.

It would be nice if he were a bit stronger. Some of that can be attributited to a long lean frame. I'll bet Michael Johnson didn't have many reps as well. I don't know...I have yet to see his numbers.

I think you are right in that he's probably a few years away from being an impact type of player. I said he reminds me so much of Vrable and it took him a few years and a different position until he became really effective.

I think anywhere in the 3rd round he'd be a steal. Hard to believe he'll last that long. Right now some have him going in the 2nd and some are predicting the 3rd round.

I love the fact that he's very intelligent, has a great motor and is a good kid.

At 6'4' and 250 lbs with a 4.66 40, I'd think he could play linebacker instead of DE. I'd think he'd have to in a 3-4

Guest Dacaddyman

Man I hope the Browns can get this guy. I gotta weird feeling that he is going to be the next Vrable. This would be a good pickup, I like guys with non-stop motors and this guy has just that.

Guest Dacaddyman
Thanks for the article! Nice read.

I like this kid so much. He could even be a two way player in goal line situations. He has Mike Vrable written all over him.

Took the words right out of my mouth! :lol: Sorry :P

i'd prefer jennings to wells. something just still doesn't feel right about him to me. could be his stupid-ass nickname (and i know something about stupid-ass nicknames).

but matthews and brinkley would definitely be the makings of an LB corps, and stroughter would be a nice addition to our WRs. i'd definitely consider it a successful draft.

probably because neither of the RBs projected to go in the first is worth anything near a top-five pick. the highest either should go is the mid teens.

Just get a very wierd feeling the Bengals draft Wells and he creams us for the next decade

i've got that feeling about both him and maualuga. however, i also know that if we draft them, they'll be either complete busts because of either talent or injury or will be malcontents who are only good once they leave cleveland. i've got a defininite cleveland curse feeling about both of them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Aloysius

Mayock was just on NFL Network talking about Barwin. He said that the media's going a little overboard in projecting Barwin to the first round based on his incredible workout numbers. He thinks Barwin's going to be selected in the second but deserves to be taken in the third round.

He said that if he drafted Barwin in the second, he'd use him at tight end. That's where he thinks you're more likely to get immediate returns; according to Mayock, Barwin's a 2-3 year project at defensive end/rush linebacker.

Guest Aloysius
Most 'nicks think Barwin will be a star in the 3-4. New England loves him.

See, that's where things get complicated - the Dolphins and Patriots sent their tight end coaches to Barwin's pro day. And Barwin added this in a recent interview:

Q: Rex Ryan of the New York Jets was at the workout - did you get to spend any time with him?

Connor Barwin: No, I didn’t talk to him at all. I talked to [Jacksonville Jaguars tight ends coach Mike] Tice a lot and [New York Giants tight ends] coach Mike Pope a lot at the Pro Day.

Q: What impression did you get from those coaches as to how much interest their teams had in you and how interested you might be in playing there?

Connor Barwin: I’d be interested in going anywhere, but they both showed a lot of interest. They both saw me as a tight end, which is kind of ironic.

Q: A number of people feel you've earned a spot in the late part of round one and could end up with either the New England Patriots or Miami Dolphins? Have you spent a lot of time with those teams?

Connor Barwin: I met Bill Parcells and a number of guys on the Dolphins staff, even at our bowl game in Miami. They came and worked me out at Cincinnati and I talked to them a lot at the combine. Patriots tight end coach Shane Waldron came and worked me out in a private visit. I leave March 29 for a visit with the Patriots this week.

Q: Have they spoken to you about playing OLB? DE? TE?

Connor Barwin: The Dolphins came to work me out as an outside linebacker. One of their coaches told me he sees me as a better tight end, but he’s the only guy in the organization who sees me as a tight end, everyone else sees me as an outside linebacker. As far as the Patriots go, their tight ends coach said he came and worked me out because he liked me at tight end. But they keep defense and offense completely separate, so he didn’t know what they thought of me as a defensive player.

My sense is that these teams see Barwin in the same way Mayock does: a great athlete who could develop into a TE or a pass rusher. But the uncertainty there could suggest that he isn't the surefire 3-4 OLB some are making him out to be.

He's got the physical tools to make it work, but he needs to add strength and develop some more rush moves. I don't think he's nearly as NFL ready as Orakpo.

If we trade out or the 5 hole "curry" pending, most likely will be picking at 29 for the giants, and prob at 12 for denver because they will try to take "DIRTY" before the Niners do. no edwards we take heyward bey at 29 and probably jenkins at 12 for our saftey spot. we have no ammo to trade up a few spots in the second so at 36 i think Clint Stintim. or Connor Barwin be the OLB will be there and we take him for sure. with the 50th Paul Kruger. in the 3rd if we get one hopefully from the lions and the giants we take jennings to shore up the rb spot, and with the steal of the 2009 draft we take marcus freeman or i hope so , he will be our new ILB. in the 4th we take Alex Boone. the 6th round pick is iffy for me but i think this buy could be a great #2 or slot would be Brian Hartline. he has Stokley written all over him.

The Browns need another pick somewhere before New England's pick ahead of us in round two.

The player they will draft, I'd rather him be a Cleveland Brown...

If we trade out or the 5 hole "curry" pending, most likely will be picking at 29 for the giants, and prob at 12 for denver because they will try to take "DIRTY" before the Niners do. no edwards we take heyward bey at 29 and probably jenkins at 12 for our saftey spot. we have no ammo to trade up a few spots in the second so at 36 i think Clint Stintim. or Connor Barwin be the OLB will be there and we take him for sure. with the 50th Paul Kruger. in the 3rd if we get one hopefully from the lions and the giants we take jennings to shore up the rb spot, and with the steal of the 2009 draft we take marcus freeman or i hope so , he will be our new ILB. in the 4th we take Alex Boone. the 6th round pick is iffy for me but i think this buy could be a great #2 or slot would be Brian Hartline. he has Stokley written all over him.

Only THREE Buckeyes? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
this buy could be a great #2 or slot would be Brian Hartline. he has Stokley written all over him.

Oh please no!

Hartline is a junior WR leaving early when the Buckeyea are already losing their senior WR in Robiskie. Consider this along with the fact that he's probably a UFA or 7th round pick.....Now ask yourself why would a guy leave a program under this situation? He's leaving early to be a 7th round pick??!! Huh?

Rumors have said that there a two reasons for him leaving early. He was going to lose his starting job to Dane Sanzenbacher. Sanzenbacker, Thomas, Posey and Small were all going to get more playing time... and supposedly Hartline was a problem in the locker room this year after Pryor took over the starting job.

I don't think Hartline comes close to having NFL potential.

At 6'1 1/2" and 190 lbs I sure would want him to be quicker than is 4.58 Combine 40.

Archived