THE BROWNS BOARD

Accountability

Legacy Fan

Chesapeake Parents Take a Stand over Teens Grades

How's this for punishment?

Trenton O'Neal stood near a light pole at the intersection of Airline Boulevard and Ahoy Drive in Chesapeake for hours on Saturday, a chest-to-trunk poster board of his bad grades dangling from his neck.

The kid's response? "It sucks. I don't want to be out here again, I know that much." Looks like being a "parent" and not a "friend" works.

IMO, "No child left behind," should be the responsibility of the parents', not the school.

Chesapeake Parents Take a Stand over Teens Grades

The kid's response? "It sucks. I don't want to be out here again, I know that much." Looks like being a "parent" and not a "friend" works.

IMO, "No child left behind," should be the responsibility of the parents', not the school.

Of course it should. But that doesnt allow us to escape our responsibility to the kids born to lousy parents.

"No child left behind," should be the responsibility of the parents', not the school.

Parents and schools working in conjunction might be nice...............

Of course it should. But that doesnt allow us to escape our responsibility to the kids born to lousy parents.

Our responsibility to slow down the lesson plan, or ship off 'kids born to lousy parents' to special schools (read: military schools)?

The latter option is a PR nightmare, and the former has failed our public schools for well over 20 years now.

In India, when you don't feel like doing your homework, they hand you a pair of scissors and invite you to the front lawn of the Taj Mahal.

So what's your proposal, Leg, homeschool?

Vouchers. Competition breeds excellence. That doesn't solve the lazy/lousy parent problem, but the technology & communications that are available today should be able to spot & isolate children who for whatever reason are stuck in a lousy school, but are finding success and achieving anyway. The kid gets magically enrolled into a new(read: not lousy) school. Nothing a re-routing of a bus or two can't handle.

I agree that there is ALOT about our current education system that doesnt work. But the prescription for that is more effort from the schools and outsiders, not less.

I agree. But currently we are only seeing effort put into the blame game. More blame, and not enough responsibility.

Archived