THE BROWNS BOARD

My mid round receiver prospect

ballpeen

At 6'5....Kelly has great size with very good hands.

Here is a scouting report

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile...rospect_ID=1612

I was going to post up some highlights, but I think this clip is better....well spoken kid

kelly's tall, but he's really, really skinny. 6-5 and 190 is skinny for a basketball player, let alone a football player. if he had the speed to run away from guys, he'd be a better prospect, but him being so light makes me worry that he won't be able to get off the LOS if someone jams him even though scouting reports say strength isn't an issue for him.

however, he's supposedly a good route runner, which, combined with his size, means that he definitely has potential as an NFL receiver.

his 40 times range from 4.5 to 4.67 according to NFLdraftscout, so he's likely fast enough to be a possession receiver, which is what we'd be looking at him to be.

they project him as a 5th round guy with his high being mid 4th and his low mid 7th, both of which will largely depend on his combine numbers. more than his 40, i'll be interested to see his bench press. as long as he puts up 12 reps, i think he'll be ok, but i'd really like to see him put up 15.

I would be thrilled to see kelly in a cleveland browns uniform replacing stallworthless seems like a natural possession reciever with enough bounce to concern defenders deep as well..

With this years picks we need to try and get at least 2 guys who can be impact players at the next level kelly could be a possibility but he may get snagged before we get to him at 65...

I agree Jew....he is a possession receiver.......imagine a 6'5" receiver for Quinn to hit on 9 yard routes....

He isn't going to run away from guys, and he has the frame to add weight....skinny or not....190 isn't small.......shoot...Moss is skinny

comparing anyone to randy moss is somewhat of a flawed comparison. moss is effective because he combines his great size with incredible speed and leaping ability. not only is he taller than everyone else, but he can also outrun and outjump them while also having hands that are good enough to come down with pretty much everything.

if kelly can put on enough weight to become a guy like plaxico burress, he'd be a great pickup. i'd be happy with a 6-5 possession receiver in the fourth or fifth round of the draft. it seems like he's fairly ready to play right now, too, because his route running is supposedly good.

190 isn't small for normal people, but it's small for athletes. percy harvin is half a foot shorter and at least five pounds heavier.

Guest Aloysius

The DraftGuys really liked what they saw of Kelly at the East-West Shrine Game practices:

Monday

Aaron Kelly(Clemson) showed good athleticism – he’s more fluid than you’d expect from a long limbed 6’5” wideout. Kelly also naturally high pointed the ball to take advantage of his height. Kelly showed good instincts and fight to get extra yards after the catch.While he didn’t fight the ball, Kelly didn’t exactly have soft hands – unlike Butler’s “thwip”, the ball made a “thwock” when Kelly caught it. Kelly did unnecessarily jump on a crossing route, marring an otherwise solid day.

Tuesday

Aaron Kelly(Clemson) really stepped up his game on day two. He caught also everything thrown his way and used his 6’5” frame to get to balls that no other wideout here could get to. He also dove for a low catch and perfectly high pointed the ball on a fade stop. Kelly ran nice slants and looked a little more sudden than a similar wideout from last year’s Shrine Game, Marcus Henry - who is now on the Jets practice squad.

Wednesday

Aaron Kelly(Clemson) had maybe the best single performance of any WR during today’s practice. He ran very crisp routes for a receiver of any size, exceptionally crisp for a long limbed 6’5” passcatcher. He also flashed good burst out of a double move and good throttle down on a comeback route. In fact, Kelly created separation on most every route, once again very impressive for a wide receiver whose best tool seems to be his size. His ball tracking over the shoulder was on point and his hands seemed to get even better at full extension - not to mention he caught almost everything once again on more ordinary plays. He turned Marshall safety CJ Spillman completely around on one route and effortlessly elevated for a TD pass from Chase Daniel in the corner of the end zone in one of the plays of the practice. Kelly looks like he could easily add 15-20 pounds to his frame and he could be one of the surprise stars of the ‘09 Shrine Game class when we look back in a few years. His performance today was very reminiscent of Marques Colston’s three years ago at the Shrine Game.

Guest Aloysius

Not to make every thread about my favorite guy, but Aaron Curry really intimidated Kelly when Wake played Clemson this year.

First, he did this:

Then he did this:

Kelly ended up only having 3 catches for 9 yards in the game.

those are both plays to curry's credit, not anything particularly to the detriment of kelly. curry blowing up the screen is a combination of his athletic ability and instincts overwhelming the offensive line and stopping the play before it can start.

on the second play, curry stopped a possession wideout from running after the catch. it's a play he should make. does it hurt kelly that he only had one other catch in that game? sure. however, he had 64 other catches this season and 88 the year before.

curry should be able to tackle a wideout who was in the shrine game. if he hadn't made the play, it would've been a large feather in kelly's cap, one that would have made him look like kramer wearing the amazing technicolor dreamcoat.

Seinfeld_s7e19.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the vid....I like the kid....but maybe not in round 2, and don't think he will go that high.

Big tall guy, and despite not being real bulky, isn't afraid to attack the middle.

I think he would look good trading his Clemson Orange for Cleveland Orange.

Submitted for your approval!

2080644225_93ea8e1971.jpg

Am i the only guy who wouldn't mind picking this guy up....

He was overlooked because of the QB sittuation at The Ohio State University!

But he is going to be good!

I love Robo....There isn't much not to like. Not blazing fast but great size and hands. very, very intelligent.

I just think we need to concentrate on the D with the first three picks and maybe go with WR like Kevin Ogletree in the Fourth round.

But if the Browns grabbed him at 50 I wouldn't be complaining at all. I'm thinking he may not even be there at 50 though.

I guess my attitude is you don't worry much about individual players next year who you might get.

This is this year. If Kelly is around in the 4th, it might be a very good pick.

Guest Aloysius
I guess my attitude is you don't worry much about individual players next year who you might get.

This is this year. If Kelly is around in the 4th, it might be a very good pick.

My guess is that's where he'll be drafted. nfldraftscout has him pegged as a late 5th/early 6th guy, but he put up some pretty good numbers at the Combine: 4.49 40, 38" vertical.

He also ran good routes during receiver drills, though he wasn't particularly quick.

My guess is that's where he'll be drafted. nfldraftscout has him pegged as a late 5th/early 6th guy, but he put up some pretty good numbers at the Combine: 4.49 40, 38" vertical.

He also ran good routes during receiver drills, though he wasn't particularly quick.

Another case of a kid who should have come out as a junior. His stock would have been higher.

The thing that scares me is what I read on the NFL site. Sounds like he has too many drops due to alligator arms when he thinks he's going to get hit. Not good for a possesion type guy.

Archived