THE BROWNS BOARD

Pluto on the Browns' coaching/GM search

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Link

Some interesting snippets:

In their discussion with New England GM Scott Pioli, it seemed there was a reservation on his part to leave New England or go anywhere else. The Browns were not put off by Pioli wanting to make major changes -- Eric Mangini told them the same type of changes were needed. But Pioli seemed a.) Content to stay in New England for another year. b.) Not sure about the Cleveland situation. c.) More intrigued by Kansas City. In the end, the Browns sensed there would be no deal with Pioli.

Other than Pioli, no other GM had a strong appeal to them. Rich McKay was available in Atlanta, but he had been taken away from the football side and was handling the business end of the operation. For reasons not entirely clear to me, the Browns had no interest in former Tennessee GM Floyd Reese. They turned their attention to a coach.

[...]

No matter what the Browns say, Scott Pioli sensed there was something wrong with the Browns and that's why he took over a team in Kansas City that appears to have even less talent than Cleveland. The advantages of the Chiefs is they have the No. 4 [actually, they have the 3rd pick -Alo] pick in the draft and more than $40 million of salary-cap room, which may have been the appeal for Pioli.

No to cause any uproar with this comment.....Maybe Pioli was one of the people who had Quinn rated pretty low and knew he would be entering the hornets nest with a qb situation he didn't like.

I think some would rather come in with no qb than a qb they don't think all that much of and know they pretty much have to go with that for a year or two.

He was here when fans were running around chanting "Bill must go" because he benched Kosar.

People remember that sort of thing.

It had become pretty obvious to many of us that pioli had reservations about launching his gm career in cleveland fairly early on...in his research he likely seen a combination of accumulated negatives like the qb situation and the draft situation and the fact that the browns organization was at that time in total chaos with a non-existant structure from the owner and upper management..

Another thing that could have made him bulk at the offer is that maybe randy hinted him that he would like to see a shared power scheme and pioli wasnt interested?(speculation)

Bottomline is he didnt want to be here and because of that we wouldnt want him here anyways i still think the mankok regime is exactly what this club needs i still dont care for mangini hiring warhop as the ol coach though...

The pressure is on and expectations for a dramatic turnaround are high in Cleveland.

with Pioli being, imho, as or more arrogant than Savage, the job in KC is much less

pressure.

And, he seemed to want total freakin control over everything. No loss to the Browns.

KC is perfectly set up for what Pioli wanted. He wants credit for building a franchise. In KC, he gets to do whatever he wants with the entire roster. The only stars on the team are asking for trades, the best of the rest are first year players whose improvement he can take credit for, and he has the draft picks and cap room to mold the team however he wants. In Cleveland, BQ, BE, KW, JT, JC, Rogers, and a few others are off limits. We are a pick or two short of a full draft, with only DA on the trade block. And we have only an average amount of cap room. We need a GM, not someone looking to start a franchise from scratch.

actually if you read the entire article it does mention the fact that Pioli most likely leaned toward KC because they are $40 million under the cap and have all their draft picks including a first round ahead of Cleveland.

I believe Lerner sensed an ego bigger then Savage and backed away. After his first press conference in KC, Gonzales said if he brings in Ferentz he wanted traded and Johnson also has said he wants out. Neither want to be involved in a rebuilding process. Maybe another reason he wasn't as warm to Cleveland.

In other parts of the article Pluto does say that Pioli noted to Lerner major changes he wanted to enact. I don't believe he was satisfied with the core players the Browns had.

In any case, I glad we didn't end up with another control freak wanting to tear the place down and start over.

Guest Aloysius

Here's The OBR's John Taylor responding to Pluto's article:

This is actually very, very simple.

Pioli would not -- WOULD NOT -- work with Mangini. Mangini was Lerner's choice from the moment he heard he'd been fired by the Jets. Therefore, a Pioli/Mangini pairing was never in the cards, regardless of how bad Lerner wanted to bring Pioli to Cleveland and team him with Mangini.

Lerner had his choice; he went with the head coach hire being more crucial than a GM hire. Right or wrong, that was the thought process involved in Lerner's decision. And it was THE overriding thought.

Pluto can write what he wants, but unless it centers on the above, it's not correct. It's very cut and dried, actually, without any gray area at all.

Lerner chose Mangini over Pioli. That's the bottom line, regardless of how anyone wants to spin it.

Okay, I realize that he's the PD's only competent Browns' beat writer, and I enjoy his stuff, but I feel like I have to throw this out there: Terry Pluto's bio picture on the PD website looks like a guy who's in the process of setting up a meeting that will end with him being featured on "To Catch a Predator."

columnist_terry_pluto.gif

I'm just saying.

Dennis

Pluto is right. The entire way Lerner hired was wrong. Hire the GM first, then the coach. Time will tell but after reading and hearing the Mangini stories from his Jet days, he's no savior. Kokinis is just going to be his yes man. Lerner Blows and you can not fire the owner.

Oh geez my same posts on the same discussion and corret ideology..........got deleted,,,,,,,,we are here on harymuummph Brownstown..............shoot the smart and knowledgeable and let us reinvent the wheel;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;too cool

KC is perfectly set up for what Pioli wanted. He wants credit for building a franchise. In KC, he gets to do whatever he wants with the entire roster. The only stars on the team are asking for trades, the best of the rest are first year players whose improvement he can take credit for, and he has the draft picks and cap room to mold the team however he wants. In Cleveland, BQ, BE, KW, JT, JC, Rogers, and a few others are off limits. We are a pick or two short of a full draft, with only DA on the trade block. And we have only an average amount of cap room. We need a GM, not someone looking to start a franchise from scratch.

Despite the contention that Lerner never offered the job to Pioli - implying Pioli wasn't the first choice - it was pretty clear that Pioli considered KC to be a better situation for him.

Again, his mentor - Bill B - puts tremendous weight on ownership and organizational stability (and who can blame him). The Hunt family has owned the Chiefs since their introduction into the AFL.

Not unlike the Pittsburgh HC job being the best job in the NFL, the Hunts provide stability and patience - maybe too much patience.

I believe KC opens a new stadium next season - another positive for an incoming regiem.

Archived